Does anyone believe Norm Roberts will ever be a good coach?

• 26 replies
Re: Does anyone believe Norm Roberts will ever be a good coach?
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 09:05:47 AM »
When you don't have your point guard you or anyone else who is a point guard then yes you will last in the Big East in assists and assist-TO ratio.  But what do you want to do? What would you change.  All i know is the players are working their butts off to try in stay in games with more talented teams.

It's NORM's fault he didn't recruit a BACKUP PG, genius.

For all of the rantings about in-game coaching skills and halftime adjustments that arm-chair geniuses write about incessantly, this is the most legitimate criticism of Norm Roberts.  His inability to land quality point guards has been his biggest failing.  Maybe plays are called but aren't executed.  Maybe there is an offensive scheme that is not being run the way it is designed.  All of that may be due to the fact that we are playing without our only point guard.

There seemed to be an offensive scheme in the Rutgers game.  Maybe it's only apparent when we play an opponent that we are on par with, rather than teams that are clearly superior to us.  Criticize his recruiting---that is legitimate.  It's hard to criticize in-game coaching when you don't have the talent to beat the opponent you're trying to out-coach.

All that being said, I see improvement in the recruiting---so I remain optimistic.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 02:13:45 PM »
When you don't have your point guard you or anyone else who is a point guard then yes you will last in the Big East in assists and assist-TO ratio.  But what do you want to do? What would you change.  All i know is the players are working their butts off to try in stay in games with more talented teams.

It's NORM's fault he didn't recruit a BACKUP PG, genius.

For all of the rantings about in-game coaching skills and halftime adjustments that arm-chair geniuses write about incessantly, this is the most legitimate criticism of Norm Roberts.  His inability to land quality point guards has been his biggest failing.  Maybe plays are called but aren't executed.  Maybe there is an offensive scheme that is not being run the way it is designed.  All of that may be due to the fact that we are playing without our only point guard.

There seemed to be an offensive scheme in the Rutgers game.  Maybe it's only apparent when we play an opponent that we are on par with, rather than teams that are clearly superior to us.  Criticize his recruiting---that is legitimate.  It's hard to criticize in-game coaching when you don't have the talent to beat the opponent you're trying to out-coach.

All that being said, I see improvement in the recruiting---so I remain optimistic.

We have the physical talent to run with just about anybody.  DJ, Evans, Paris, Burrell, and Boothe are extremely athletic and as physically talented as anyone.  You can throw three years of Mason into that as well. Were we get killed is skill level and fundamentals. 

We probably have the fastest front court in America up an down the court. 

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
Though we are not near where any of us want this program to be.  I do see improvement out of most of the players.

When the season ended last year, I don't think many of us thought we would see this much improvement from Evans, Kennedy or Horne.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »
Though we are not near where any of us want this program to be.  I do see improvement out of most of the players.

When the season ended last year, I don't think many of us thought we would see this much improvement from Evans, Kennedy or Horne.

DJ, Kennedy, Evans, and Horne are hard workers and they were going to improve even if they had to coach themselves.  Funny that they beat ND with the only practice between the Providence loss and the ND game coming without the coaches present. 

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »
Mar, kinda silly. If the kids don't improve, it's Norm's fault. If they do improve it's in spite of him. Most of your arguments work this way.

Although I won't go into detail (it'd be pointless), I think there are a lot more signs of Norm being a good coach than not. I think there are a lot more signs of this program going in the right direction than not. Might be slower than we hoped, but there was a long way to go and it's happening.

I enjoy watching this team.I really like these kids and I like the way they're starting to play. I, for one, hope Norm stays.

On a side note... I won't go into details (   :) see above) but I think this program was in much worse shape even than Baylor.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 10:40:23 PM »
Mar, kinda silly. If the kids don't improve, it's Norm's fault. If they do improve it's in spite of him. Most of your arguments work this way.

Although I won't go into detail (it'd be pointless), I think there are a lot more signs of Norm being a good coach than not. I think there are a lot more signs of this program going in the right direction than not. Might be slower than we hoped, but there was a long way to go and it's happening.

I enjoy watching this team.I really like these kids and I like the way they're starting to play. I, for one, hope Norm stays.

On a side note... I won't go into details (   :) see above) but I think this program was in much worse shape even than Baylor.

I just don't understand posts like these.  What do you see that suggests Norm is a good coach?  He had one of the worst records in the history of NCAA basketball while at Queens College--the coach that picked up after him went on to achieve amazing results by the way.

He is horrible here.  Basketball is not rockets science, I'l give you that, but I can tell a big difference watching a team like Utah State or Davidson play than when I see our team play. 

We purposely try to make the game ugly.  We don't run a great offense and our entire defense revolves around DJ and Paris being awesome individual on-ball defenders.  We are sevely lacking in the team defense and help defense areas. 

When I watch a PG go from the top of the key to the rim uncontested for five years while our bigs can't move 2-3 feet, that is all about coaching to me.  Are you telling me that a kid as athletic as Justin, who runs like a small forward, can't recognize and move a few feet to fill the lane?  It is not being stressed in practice like a good technician would do. 

Our entire philosophy is about making things hard and ugly to keep things close and try to steal a game here in there.  Even if we had all-Americans, Norm wouldn't know what to do with them.  I really believe that.

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 07:42:33 AM »
He is not a good coach with weak to middle level talent...

How he would do with good players is yet to be seen and I dount we will ever see it.

I look at it like Joe Torre..    until he came to the Yankees he was never considered a good manager. He comes to the Yankees,  gets to manage a load talented players, they do VERY well and he ends up being considered one of the best in the business.