ST JOHNS LOSES DUKE FROM SCHEDULE

• 15 replies

Tha Kid

ST JOHNS LOSES DUKE FROM SCHEDULE
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »
Am I blind or has the Jungle not posted this HUGE news to come out before the weekend?  It is a terrible loss from the schedule, and shows just how far this program is falling.  It's an utter disgrace, and hopefully will be a final nail in the coffin for Norm.
"I drink and I know things"

Re: ST JOHNS LOSES DUKE FROM SCHEDULE
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:45:09 AM »
I saw this posted over the weekend. Read the article which I thought was poorly produced not listing the source of information. I'm not saying the news isn't true nor would I be surprised if it was the truth but they didn't even say if it was a St. John's or Duke official it learned from but just that Duke decided not to do it anymore.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252009/sports/college/duke_says_no_more_to_st__johns_series_151917.htm
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »
I saw this posted over the weekend. Read the article which I thought was poorly produced not listing the source of information. I'm not saying the news isn't true nor would I be surprised if it was the truth but they didn't even say if it was a St. John's or Duke official it learned from but just that Duke decided not to do it anymore.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252009/sports/college/duke_says_no_more_to_st__johns_series_151917.htm

The worst part was it appeared that the writer of the article is the person who informed Monasch

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 12:37:35 PM »
This is such a disgrace - this series is going to reach 12 years and it is goetting cut because of YEARS of ineptitude by Roberts and staff.  The Duke game makes a TON of revenue for St Johns --- they are charging $55 per seat right now for the game, and Duke fans pack MSG - as WELL as st johns fans for this game.  Fr. Harrington will surely feel this loss -- the only good that can come out of it is being another negative on Norm's resume which gets him fired.

Monasch is a joke for that comment.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »

The worst part was it appeared that the writer of the article is the person who informed Monasch
To quote the opening line of Rounders, "Listen, here's the thing.
            If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table,
            then you are the sucker."

At this point, does any level of incompetence or ignorance from the guy that purposefully tries to look like he sleeps in a tanning booth surprise you?

As for him being dismissive of the attendance,
1/24/1999-19,528 (highest attendance of season)
2/18/2001-19,580 (highest attendance of season)
3/2/2003-19,610  (highest attendance of season)
2/26/2005-16,920 (highest attendance of season)
2/25/2007-17,283 (highest attendance of season)

Even a man of average intelligence like Chris Monasch can predict that the Duke game will once again be easily the biggest gate and rating of the season. There is no way that the game will draw any less than the 9,807 that ND was able to bring in and that was almost two thousand higher than the next closest game of the season.

As for UCLA being able to draw consistently close to Duke in the NY area, that's spin at best. They have a fraction of the fan or alumni base. Although Nike will probably help dictate, Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Texas, Memphis, Arizona, Michigan St., Ohio St., and Illinois should all be on the table.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
UNC would be the best at replacing Duke on the schedule

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »

Them or IONA

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

They would but its still no Duke --- Duke's alumni connections in NY is wayyyyy more than UNC.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »

They would but its still no Duke --- Duke's alumni connections in NY is wayyyyy more than UNC.

I still think they have one of the strongest national fan bases though.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 04:33:30 PM »

I still think they have one of the strongest national fan bases though.
Kentucky and Indiana's are even stronger than UNC.
With UK, they travel notoriously well, are still barely the winningest program of all-time, and Gillispie & Roberts both learned at the base of the hair piece of Bill Self. ;)
Fr. Harrington can promote it as "KY In NYC." You might wind up with some non-basketball fans, but there also might be more priests attending.

Did this year conclude the Rutgers/UNC annual beating?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:34:40 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »
It wouldn't be totally surprising to see Texas get in on this. Barnes likes to play at least one game a year in the NYC area. But there's no way it would be an ongoing thing like the Duke series was.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 04:37:05 PM by JohnnyInTexas »

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:19 PM »
It wouldn't be totally surprising to see Texas get in on this. Barnes likes to play at least one game a year in the NYC area. But there's no way it would be an ongoing thing like the Duke series was.
Particularly with Ro Russell delivering him current NJ residents, Tristan Thompson and Myck Kabongo

Never exactly known as a world-class bench coach, he soundly beat Jay Wright & Villanova this year at MSG, destroyed Bruce Pearl and the other UT in Newark last year , squeaked by Norm by one with Durant two years ago, and got humiliated when they were ranked #2 at the Meadowlands by Duke three years ago.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »
Losing Duke is a major blow, because it was a good rival game, but in the NY Post article it said something about UCLA or some other high program. 
What would be great is a great Eastern Coast team to take Duke's place like North Carolina

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 02:18:29 PM »
"I'm not aware that's the plan," St. John's athletic director Chris Monasch told The Post.

A source in the St. John's program said the loss of Duke would be easily overcome. Several other high-profile programs, including UCLA, which would love an opportunity to come to the metropolitan area, have contacted St. John's about a series.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The arrogant, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded source might want to take a hard look at the fact that this game had triple the prior average home attendance and had 4k more people than the second most attended game (Notre Dame) and 6k more than the third most attended game (UConn).

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090219&content_id=1492021&oid=2&vkey=21

As for the Duke series now in its 11th year, a report surfaced that it would end after the December game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, but Monasch said the two schools are still in discussion about continuing it.

"We're interested in continuing in it," he said. "So it's nothing that's any different than any other commitment between two schools."

Krzyzewski said he could envision playing the game at another time of the season.

"We'll take a look at it," he said. "We love playing St. John's.

"We've got to be careful how we use this week and would it be better served to have a couple days off but maybe playing that game at another time during the year? I'm not saying eliminate the game."

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »
Wouldn't mind rotating teams..UCLA, Duke, Kansas but Duke is the top draw in the country.  Its not even close.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 01:14:38 AM »
Wouldn't mind rotating teams..UCLA, Duke, Kansas but Duke is the top draw in the country.  Its not even close.

We have to keep Duke at all costs.  We just cannot afford to lose Duke, there is nothing like it across the country.