Did we miss the boat on another coach?

• 13 replies

Marillac

Did we miss the boat on another coach?
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »
Obama's brother in law is not doing as bad as I first thought.  They just came back to win two PAC 10 games on the road and they avenged their horrible loss to Howard by coming back and winning by 35. They played the beginning of the season without their leading scorer, but they look pretty good now.

The guy can coach--no doubt.  Imagine the impact of having the President of the US at your games?  What kid wouldn't want to play in front of Obama?  I'm not sure how often he'll get out ot OREGON, but I'm fairly confident he'd make the short trip to NY at least a few times a year.

Re: Did we miss the boat on another coach?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »
Obama's brother in law is not doing as bad as I first thought.  They just came back to win two PAC 10 games on the road and they avenged their horrible loss to Howard by coming back and winning by 35. They played the beginning of the season without their leading scorer, but they look pretty good now.

The guy can coach--no doubt.  Imagine the impact of having the President of the US at your games?  What kid wouldn't want to play in front of Obama?  I'm not sure how often he'll get out ot OREGON, but I'm fairly confident he'd make the short trip to NY at least a few times a year.

This team is also the same team from last year less one major contributor and last year's team won exactly ZERO Pac 10 games.  Their two wins were against Cal who has been ranked and Stanford who aren't that bad.

Of course the title of your thread is incredibly misleading but giving the Pres' brother-in-law some dap after the way BEB especially crucified him in October and November is nice.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »

This team is also the same team from last year less one major contributor and last year's team won exactly ZERO Pac 10 games.  Their two wins were against Cal who has been ranked and Stanford who aren't that bad.

Of course the title of your thread is incredibly misleading but giving the Pres' brother-in-law some dap after the way BEB especially crucified him in October and November is nice.

I was one of them.  I wanted him to do badly because I didn't vote for Obama.  But now I like them both. 

The opportunity to have a president attend multiple games is one that almost never presents itself in college basketball.  It could have been a recruiting dream.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:08:47 PM »
Mark Gottfried is available , might not be the best XO coach but he can recruit out his  :-X
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »
I thought you were going to bring up Jeff Capel at VCU. The Maven had mentioned before Norm's hiring that K recommended him, when they asked about him. In retrospect, compared to the likes of Leitao, Doherty, and Roberts, it looks idiotic to not have hired him, but he's still only 33 now, albeit with a top 5 team.

LJSA

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:06:06 PM »
Still early, but as of now Capel has put himself in the best position to ascend to Coach K's throne.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »
Still early, but as of now Capel has put himself in the best position to ascend to Coach K's throne.

Let's see how he does without Blake Grffin.  Not impressed with their team outside of the ridiculous mismatches Griffin puts them in.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

It would be very cool to have the President at a few games but no one would ever know if he was attending. It would be way to much of a security risk to publicize the fact that he was coming.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »

I was one of them.  I wanted him to do badly because I didn't vote for Obama.  But now I like them both. 

The opportunity to have a president attend multiple games is one that almost never presents itself in college basketball.  It could have been a recruiting dream.

You didn't vote for Obama? Have you been self-medicating again Marillac?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
Just because he is the presidents brother does not make him a good coach...also what has he done compared to Norm?

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
Just because he is the presidents brother does not make him a good coach...also what has he done compared to Norm?

Ok, I think you have a problem with attributing idea to posters that did not express them.

I never said he would be a good coach just because he is the president's brother.  He actually has a succesful track record as a head coach--Norm has a horrible record at two schools as a head coach. 

He has also be a coach for less than 20 games and Norm has been here for FIVE YEARS. 

What recruit would not be attracted to Barack Obama's presence at games?  It is a ridiculous advantage. 

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »
Oregon State has a losing record in the below average Pac Ten

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
I really don't think Obama will be attending many games nor do I think it is all that attractive. Interesting thread none the less.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

esuhr

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 04:56:53 PM »
As a long time St. John’s fan who has lived in Portland, OR the last decade, its been a tough few years watching college basketball (my wife is an Oregon St grad).  I’ve seen a lot of parallels between the two programs in the last five years.  As much as Norm has struggled, he has done far better than another former assistant coach and hot shot recruiter, Jay John. 

Last year was brutal for anyone with an interest in the Beavers and Coach Robinson has come in and changed the atmosphere in many ways.  He has the same kids who went 0-18 in the Pac 10 last year playing inspired ball within definite offensive and defensive schemes.  I don’t think the admin knew everything they were getting when they hired him but he was a two-time Ivy League MVP under Pete Carril.  After school, he was very successful in the business world before returning to coaching.  As Obama’s brother in law, he is more than a novelty but won’t hesitate to use the connection to get into a recruit’s living room.  I think parents like him for his track record in and out of basketball.  He has his own success story to go with his relative’s story and has lined up a solid three man recruiting class for next year with two top 150 guys.  I don’t think Obama will be attending any games but Robinson getting face time at major national events has definitely helped him thus far. 

I only hope he sticks around a while before a bigger program gobbles him up.