Forde Minutes: Coaches and teams feel the heat

• 20 replies
Forde Minutes: Coaches and teams feel the heat
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3863246&sportCat=ncb

St. John's (5). The coach: Norm Roberts. The problem: The top players from the New York City area keep going elsewhere -- often elsewhere within the same conference, so they can haunt the hometown team they snubbed. With insufficient talent, Roberts is just 59-75 in his fifth season. For those who think contracts matter, Roberts did receive a five-year extension last spring.

Men Behaving Badly

The angriest guy in college basketball last week appeared to be Florida Atlantic coach Mike Jarvis (27), who was banged for at least three and possibly all four of FAU's technical fouls on his way to being bum-rushed out of the Owls' home gym (cheesily nicknamed The Burrow) against Louisiana-Monroe. ULM made seven of eight free throws after the eruption to pull away and win.

Maybe Jarvis was ticked because his team is 4-16, 0-8 in the Sun Belt Conference. Maybe he was ticked because it's a long way from Boca Raton back to the big-time level he once coached at with St. John's. Either way, the Sun Belt bestowed a one-game suspension on Jarvis for his efforts.

Re: Forde Minutes: Coaches and teams feel the heat
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:38:01 PM »
In the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter all too much but how is St. John's listed before Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Depaul?

He failed to mention that in Depaul's only successful season under Wainwright were not his recruits.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
In the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter all too much but how is St. John's listed before Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Depaul?

He failed to mention that in Depaul's only successful season under Wainwright were not his recruits.

Pretty simple, Dave.   We are ST JOHNS.  Not some halfway decent program.  We are one of the winningest programs of all time.  That's why Norm's futility is even more absurd, and that's why we are listed before them.  It's time for Norm to go.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »

Standards plain and simple.

'Least they is standards I grew up use to when St. John was king.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »

Standards? Can you be more specific? Cause, there are different kinds of standards, Jarvis $tandards, Louie $tandards, Norm standards

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:53:28 PM »

Norm is in year five and the NJ guys are in year 2.  HUGE difference.  Also, both NJ guys are bringing in awesome talent. 

I think Gonzo can coach is butt off, but Fred Hill is horrible.  I'd fire him in a heartbeat.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »

Norm is in year five and the NJ guys are in year 2.  HUGE difference.  Also, both NJ guys are bringing in awesome talent. 

I think Gonzo can coach is butt off, but Fred Hill is horrible.  I'd fire him in a heartbeat.

Who is the awesome talent?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:51 PM »

Who is the awesome talent?

Rutgers:  Echinique, Rosario, Chandler, Mitchell

SH:  Hazell, Theodore, Pope, Keon Lawrence, Stix

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

Standards? Can you be more specific? Cause, there are different kinds of standards, Jarvis $tandards, Louie $tandards, Norm standards

Standards was havin a top team year in and year out.
Standards was havin a reason to watch hoops in March.
Standards was playin wit some hardcore NYC ballers.
Standards was that I dont gotta hang my head low sayin I's a St. John fan.

And you talkin all smack bout Louie slidin some cash money to ballers?

Oh man, you just show full clear that you wasn't on the street back in the day, not even close. St. John was squeaky clean. Ask Moses Scurry, Jamal Faulkner or even Pearl 'bout how it was back in the day, who was puttin out and who wudn't.

St. John didnt need no envelopes 'casue they could offer cash money 100 percent legally, bre! C'mon now.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:19 PM »
Buckey you beat me to the post! LOL

Dave I guess your going to have to clean up my mess

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:46:41 PM »

Standards was havin a top team year in and year out.
Standards was havin a reason to watch hoops in March.
Standards was playin wit some hardcore NYC ballers.
Standards was that I dont gotta hang my head low sayin I's a St. John fan.

And you talkin all smack bout Louie slidin some cash money to ballers?

Oh man, you just show full clear that you wasn't on the street back in the day, not even close. St. John was squeaky clean. Ask Moses Scurry, Jamal Faulkner or even Pearl 'bout how it was back in the day, who was puttin out and who wudn't.

St. John didnt need no envelopes 'casue they could offer cash money 100 percent legally, bre! C'mon now.

Ok, I'll leave Saint Louie out of it but were you holding your head high with the Felipe/Zendon teams? Or the Barkley, Grady Reynolds,Willie Shaw teams? Somewhere along the way standards were dropped from the SJU  hoops program and that includes us as fans.  We sat, watched and cheered as it all unfolded right in front of us, some choosing to look the other way. Now this program is taking its lumps as Norm tries to rebuild something that this program hasnt had in a long time. STANDARDS

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:00:47 PM »
Looka here. I aint got nuthin but respct fo the way Coach run his program like it the Sistine Chapel. But playin it clean aint the prob wit not gettin NYC ballaz or showin sometin on the court.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:41 PM »
Looka here. I aint got nuthin but respct fo the way Coach run his program like it the Sistine Chapel. But playin it clean aint the prob wit not gettin NYC ballaz or showin sometin on the court.

Hard doing things the right way when some others are using an open checkbook. Corey Fisher?

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

If all three schools stay on the same course they are currently travleing along...    do you really think St. John's is going to be better than Seton Hall & Rutgers in 2 years..   I don't..

Rutgers might be close but Seton Hall will be much better next year..

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:48:20 PM »

If all three schools stay on the same course they are currently travleing along...    do you really think St. John's is going to be better than Seton Hall & Rutgers in 2 years..   I don't..

Rutgers might be close but Seton Hall will be much better next year..

SH will be MUCH better next year. 

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »
Sorry I'm not on the Seton Hall bandwagon. It will be very interesting to see how Lawrence and Hazell share the ball next year.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
Sorry I'm not on the Seton Hall bandwagon. It will be very interesting to see how Lawrence and Hazell share the ball next year.

That program is ready to implode, with Gonzo holding the matches and too many questionable characters on that team

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
Hall will get theyselves some bodies.

But they got the same leader and that mean evrytin.

Anthony Avent was right.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:17:15 PM by Choz4Life »

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »
How could anyone think Seton Hall will be good next year?

Saint Johns will be waaay better then them, more so if we get Lance