Less than 5 shots

• 22 replies
Less than 5 shots
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
When will we learn to utilize our player's strengths? Again Justin Burrell was a non factor in our offense. WHY?

We run this stupid high pick and roll with either

A: Sean Evans who absolutely not a threat on the outside

B: Dele Coker who never sets his feet and averages 2 offensive fouls per game

The opposing team jumps the screen doubles the ball and rotates weak side help to defend the big man cutting to the basket. Result TURNOVER and 2 points the other way. YET we continue to do it EVERY game.

If you want to run a high pick and roll fine but the 3 other guys on the court need to be doing something as well. Maybe setting some down screens to free other guys up and run it with Justin who can knock it down beyond the FT line and is a better passer than either Sean or Dele.

Also why are we not running plays for Justin? He needs to be able to catch the ball, face up, and shoot at least 6-8 times a game and get some other looks as well. Justin needs to work on a few aspects of his game but we could mask those for the time being. We know he doesn't have much of a post up game or can't really put the ball on the floor however he can shoot and he can jam. Put him in places to succeed! not fail. JB could be looking like Tim Duncan banking shots from the block extended and looking like KG from knocking it down beyond the FT line. He can do it fairly consistently so why not give it to him consistently?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

Re: Less than 5 shots
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:36:57 AM »
When will we learn to utilize our player's strengths?

Dave. . you might be tired of heraring this answer BUT we will use our players strengths when we get a coach who knows what he is doing.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:13:28 AM »
I just don't understand why don't we utilize Justin more? He gets lost down on the block sometimes and we hardly get him looks.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:23:08 AM »
When will we learn to utilize our player's strengths? Again Justin Burrell was a non factor in our offense. WHY?

We run this stupid high pick and roll with either

A: Sean Evans who absolutely not a threat on the outside

B: Dele Coker who never sets his feet and averages 2 offensive fouls per game

The opposing team jumps the screen doubles the ball and rotates weak side help to defend the big man cutting to the basket. Result TURNOVER and 2 points the other way. YET we continue to do it EVERY game.

If you want to run a high pick and roll fine but the 3 other guys on the court need to be doing something as well. Maybe setting some down screens to free other guys up and run it with Justin who can knock it down beyond the FT line and is a better passer than either Sean or Dele.

Also why are we not running plays for Justin? He needs to be able to catch the ball, face up, and shoot at least 6-8 times a game and get some other looks as well. Justin needs to work on a few aspects of his game but we could mask those for the time being. We know he doesn't have much of a post up game or can't really put the ball on the floor however he can shoot and he can jam. Put him in places to succeed! not fail. JB could be looking like Tim Duncan banking shots from the block extended and looking like KG from knocking it down beyond the FT line. He can do it fairly consistently so why not give it to him consistently?

Dave, no offense but you are starting to sound like a drunk who can't understand why he has a headache every morning. ;)
Though Norm or not the only way Justin would look like Tim Duncan is if he dressed up like him for Halloween

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:27:25 AM »
Tim Duncan often shoots from outside of the box making a high percentage of shots by using the glass. I think Justin could easily get off the same shot at will if he was set up properly to do it.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »
Tim Duncan often shoots from outside of the box making a high percentage of shots by using the glass. I think Justin could easily get off the same shot at will if he was set up properly to do it.

Justin is not used properly, but if your big does not rebound at all, why should he be rewarded with the ball?

kob24

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »
So ur logic is rebound first score second?

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
So ur logic is rebound first score second?

Kob
we have discussed this, I think Justin is being misused, but he has not shown enough desire on the boards to lay it all on Norm. If he was averaging 7 boards or so he probably would get himself  another 2 -3 points a game on putbacks and being fouled. If he was averaging 11 and 7-modest enough numbers, than you could rightfully kill Norm for all his struggles IMO
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:50:14 PM by we are sju »

kob24

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
But if u can justify him touching the ball more if he rebounds how come u don't justify the guards with their assist or steals. He would rebound more if he was more involved in the offense. That's how players think. Why am I rebounding if I can't score. Joey from Memphis was a horrible scorer not even close to justin with talent yet cal said every play down he will get a touch hence he feels like he is part I the offense hence he boards up. And he gets those oops from cal. Motivation 101

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:31 PM »
But if u can justify him touching the ball more if he rebounds how come u don't justify the guards with their assist or steals. He would rebound more if he was more involved in the offense. That's how players think. Why am I rebounding if I can't score. Joey from Memphis was a horrible scorer not even close to justin with talent yet cal said every play down he will get a touch hence he feels like he is part I the offense hence he boards up. And he gets those oops from cal. Motivation 101

Dorsey killed himself on the boards and on D so he did deserve more touches. I think Justin is frustrated and rightfully so, but the lack of boarding is on him. 4 boards a game for someone with his physical abilities is unacceptable!

kob24

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:23 PM »
So explain the guards why do they have the green light and are not held accountable for running the team?

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 01:12:38 PM »
So explain the guards why do they have the green light and are not held accountable for running the team?

That pass the ball side to side offense Norm runs was geared towards Geno and Mase, so naturally the guards have more freedom ;)

kob24

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:20:09 PM »
Huh?

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
Huh?

Was joking Kob. Usually, especially against the zone, we pass the ball around the perimeter than the guards chuck up threes. This is why Justin pops out from time to time to take a three becuase he does not like just standing on the baseline. If you notice Evans will also come out to get the ball, but he will then barrell in to the lane for a layup, charge or have the ball stolen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:26:13 PM by we are sju »

kob24

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »
I now know what I must do

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »
Now THAT's cryptic.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 03:39:18 PM »
Now THAT's cryptic.

That is  kob specialty, along the lines of Damn ;D

However if Norm suddenly turns up missing you should do Kob a solid and remove his post so it won't be used as evidence ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

I understand.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:43:34 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 06:27:17 PM »
The rebounding may be JB's fault, but this is another Norm specialty...he's prob not reboudning bc of lack of confidence so its up to NORM to make sure he gets the ball and tells him to drive to the whole, shoot jumpers off the glass, or whatever.  It's all on Norm.

Dave, I agree w wasju.  Do you simply just not get the fact that Norm is in way over the head?  It's pretty simple why we don't do what you suggest - Norm is a horrible coach.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »

I understand.

That makes two of you.

If I had to guess though I would say Kob and Choz are trying out for American Idol.