Please Help

• 3 replies

TONYD3

Please Help
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »
I know this message will be considered off topic but I would really appreciate it if we could leave it up for a day or so.
I coach middle school basketball in Williamsburg Brooklyn. I have 2 former students who are now in 9th grade. Both are great kids both are very good players. They may never be good enough to play in college, but they both could be very productive players at any local high school. Freshman and other players from our league are playing and starting at the Varsity level at local high schools. Both of my boy's are better then those kids. I know I am biased but I know my boy's only need a chance. Currently both kids aren't in the best situations at their high schools. Neither school is good. Neither school is safe. One of the schools doesn't even have a team. Both expressed this to me this week. I told them I would help find new schools. The only problem is I don't know what to do. I called a few athletic directors from the Catholic League. One said they don't recruit (which i know is false). I think a Catholic School would be the best fit. Both students would need scholarships though. Neither kid is playing this season so they would not have to sit out. They both say they are passing all of their classes.  Does any one know a coach they could work out for? Does any one know someone I could contact? Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Anthony

kob24

Re: Please Help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
It depends on how far they are willing to travel how talk are they. Do hey play summer ball. Positions and if public school is out the question

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:57 PM »
Andres- lives in Ridgewood can travel to all areas as long as there is public transportation. He is about 5'9- 5'10. His brother is in 11th grade and is 6'2. He has a medium build. He is very good 3 point shooter. At times he played point guard for us but he is more of a 3. He also can guard  both bigger and smaller players. He is the smartest kid I ever coached. He plays on a CYO team.

Sincere- lives in Williamsburg can also travel. He is around 5'5. He won't be tall but he is very fast. He is more of a combo guard. He is very hard to guard. He could become a lock down defender. He also has played CYO.

Both kids scored over 40 points in a middle school game. That is hard with running clocks. Both kids would love to play summer ball. I don't pretend to be the best coach ever but I really think these kids can play. Our league is very competitve. We have also played teams from all over the city. Public schools are not out of the question. They didn't play this year, so they could transfer without penalty.
Neither of them care about being stars. They just want to play basketball and get a good education. Thanks again.

kob24

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:59:42 PM »
well in Brooklyn a school that I know of is bishop ford I know a few players on that team I can ask them only thing it's gonna be tuff to get a scholarship unless they play summer in the summer and the coach sees them. And all those schools recruit but they just can't say they do it's against the rules