The Tim Cluess bandwagon strikes facebook

• 23 replies
The Tim Cluess bandwagon strikes facebook
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:19:58 PM »
Here is the link and description to the group. I admit I don't know much about the guy and I don't endorse him to be our head coach but I do think he would be a pretty solid add to our bench as an assistant and I think an X's and O's guy is what we need. Does anyone know a lot about this guy? Can they share what style his teams play.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=48479298074

This group is for those SJU basketball fans who are tired of year after year being below .500 in big east play under Norm Roberts. We realize this program needs a winner, and Tim Cluess is that winner. Tim Cluess has taken over programs that are horrendous and turned them into powerhouses at their respective levels. Tim is an X's and O's coach that wins with whoever he has, SJU needs coach Timmy.

He started coaching at St. Mary's on long island and took over a team that was a laughing stock of the league and left the school after they were ranked number 1 in the nation. There his teams were consistently nationally ranked and he won 8 straight league titles. His biggest problems were complaints of him beating other teams by excessive amount of points. Also he did not schedule “Norm Roberts cupcakes” he routinely played against the best teams in the nation. And the Long Island catholic league put his team into their own division. After that he took over a Suffolk CC team that had never been to the post season and in his first year they went to the final 4. After just one season their he came to CW post and took over another program with no history of winning. In just his third season they are currently undefeated and ranked no 2 in the nation.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

Re: The Tim Cluess bandwagon strikes facebook
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »
Here is the link and description to the group. I admit I don't know much about the guy and I don't endorse him to be our head coach but I do think he would be a pretty solid add to our bench as an assistant and I think an X's and O's guy is what we need. Does anyone know a lot about this guy? Can they share what style his teams play.

This group is for those SJU basketball fans who are tired of year after year being below .500 in big east play under Norm Roberts. We realize this program needs a winner, and Tim Cluess is that winner. Tim Cluess has taken over programs that are horrendous and turned them into powerhouses at their respective levels. Tim is an X's and O's coach that wins with whoever he has, SJU needs coach Timmy.

He started coaching at St. Mary's on long island and took over a team that was a laughing stock of the league and left the school after they were ranked number 1 in the nation. There his teams were consistently nationally ranked and he won 8 straight league titles. His biggest problems were complaints of him beating other teams by excessive amount of points. Also he did not schedule “Norm Roberts cupcakes” he routinely played against the best teams in the nation. And the Long Island catholic league put his team into their own division. After that he took over a Suffolk CC team that had never been to the post season and in his first year they went to the final 4. After just one season their he came to CW post and took over another program with no history of winning. In just his third season they are currently undefeated and ranked no 2 in the nation.

Who is Tim Cluess? He coaches a Division 3 school? Come on now Dave, you know as well as anyone else here, that SJU can't afford another high-risk candidate.

They need to finally wisen up and hire a proven head coach who has won at the division one level. End of story.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »
Poison, Dave's not the one talking up Tim Cluess.  A few cats on the other boards talk Cluess (Div II) up - he's supposed to be a solid x's and o's guy, and has had a solid record in high schools and Div II colleges.  I assume he's not great at marketing himself and he doesn't want an assistant job, because his profile seems to say that he'd be good at working his way up the ladder. 

Rumor has it he's a smart coach.  I don't know him except by reputation and a few articles (he was recently written up in the Newsday: http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/sunday/sports/ny-sptim256012115jan25,0,3768745.story). 

I'll also note that if I were looking at an up and coming coach, I would look at a guy who has done very well at all his stops as a HC, even if they were Div II and III.  Bruce Pearl and Bo Ryan both spent a lot of time at lower levels, as has Tommy Dempsey..  But they paid some dues at D-I schools before their higher profile gigs.  Tim Cluess will as well, but an assistant job would be a stepping stone to a HC job.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:52:27 PM »

Who is Tim Cluess? He coaches a Division 3 school? Come on now Dave, you know as well as anyone else here, that SJU can't afford another high-risk candidate.

They need to finally wisen up and hire a proven head coach who has won at the division one level. End of story.

I just copied and pasted the description of the group which I did not write. I'm not endorsing the group either just sharing it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
hire bobby knight.  bring in tim as an assistant...then offer him the job when knight retires.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:02:51 PM »
Cluess is a great coach.  He coached one year at Suffolk CC and, without a player over 6'4, won a very competitive league and made some very good coaches look silly. 

I have no doubt that he'll be successful a head coach, but he needs to prove that at a MAAC school or an NEC school first. 

STJ cannot get another unknown.  They need a big name that is proven and can recruit top 50 talent right away. 

He'd be an amazing assistant, but I doubt he'd ever take an assistant coaching position, because he is in line to get a small D-1 job this year and could probably parlay that into a big D-1 Job in 3-4 years. 

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:56:45 PM »
Norm will be around at least for another year, and (if) the time comes when the Administration seems fit to get rid of Norm-they bring in Kevin Willard.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Norm will be around at least for another year, and (if) the time comes when the Administration seems fit to get rid of Norm-they bring in Kevin Willard.

What are you dating Willard?  Enough already.  The guy hasn't proven anything yet. 

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »

What are you dating Willard?  Enough already.  The guy hasn't proven anything yet.

Yet

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »
Come on - the Gaels were supposed to be better this year.  They nearly have as many double digit losses as Norm.  Kevin's daddy couldn't coach either so I hope he picked up plenty from his other daddy.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:37:32 AM »
iona is a bigger embarassment than st john's...and that's going some.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 01:52:40 PM »
iona is a bigger embarassment than st john's...and that's going some.

Again, IONA already beat St Johns this year. IONA returned 5 players from last years team, the rest are freshman. Their is no doubt in my mind, IONA's freshman PG Scott Machado would be starting for St Johns right now! IONA will be in the NCAA tourny way before St Johns is.

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 02:47:06 AM »
iona LOST the scrimmage.  st john's SUCKS THE BIG ONE...but it was able to beat iona.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:14:45 PM »
iona LOST the scrimmage.  st john's SUCKS THE BIG ONE...but it was able to beat iona.

I disagree, Ive been told by people that were allowed to watch the game that IONA won more quarters.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
Hey Marco, I'll admit that SJU sucks if you'll admit that Iona sucks worse.

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
back to cluess...post is one of only two undefeated division two teams in the country.  the guy wins.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 08:41:26 AM »
If I were tempted to go after a guy who could start as an assistant, then step into the head coaching job, I'd try for Dan Hurley

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »
article on tim cluess from five boro sports...

http://www.fiveborosports.com/ssp/news?news_id=1713

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 09:18:59 PM »
I went to St. Mary's while Cluess was the coach there, and was on the freshman basketball team until I got hurt and decided to leave the team to focus on baseball (a decision I regret to this day). My dad knew Coach Cleuss through his older brother Kevin (who some of you might know from his days playing ball at SJU), so even though I didn't end up playing basketball at St. Mary's, I knew Coach Cleuss pretty well. He's an absolutely fantastic coach, and he gets the most out of his players. I haven't seen any CW Post games or any Suffolk CC games either, but at St. Mary's he used an up-tempo offense and high-pressure, often full-court press defense. They generated a lot of turnovers, and they always had kids who could shoot. Their overall style was similar to UConn in that sense. While he often had the most talented players in the league (Joel Suarez, Mamadou Diakate, and Danny Green were all legit college prospects, though Green's the only one who panned out), he also won in years when he didn't have superior athletes. I am fully confident that he will succeed at the D-I level, and would love to have him as the SJU coach (I'm actually in that facebook group).

All that said, I understand where SJU basketball is right now, and I know that they can't afford to take a chance on Cleuss right now - the next head coach has to be a slam dunk with immediate name recognition. If Pecora leaves Hofstra, I see Cleuss becoming their next head coach, where I think he will quickly establish himself as a contender to coach a major D-I program.

sjd8886

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »
i had no idea he played for st johns back in the day, im sooooooo embarrassed  :-[