Chris Monsach on Norm's Status

• 11 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Chris Monsach on Norm's Status
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:18:58 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/02/02/2009-02-02_storms_lateseason_surge_not_the_only_fac.html

The remainder of St. John's season could be important to coach Norm Roberts' job security. But athletic director Chris Monasch said Monday a decision doesn't hang on the results of the next 10 games and the Red Storm's performance in the Big East Tournament.

"It matters but it won't be the determining factor by any means," Monasch told the Daily News. "There are a lot of factors. For example we know he has signed two good players for next year."

University president Rev. Donald J. Harrington attended Sunday's win over South Florida at Carnesecca Arena and, when asked about the importance of again being a force in the Big East, said, "It's very important. I'm the first one to say it's very important. I'm disappointed like anyone else is. I'd love to be at the top of the Big East."

"The only disappointment for me this season is that we haven't had our full complement of players," Monasch said, referring to a spate of injuries and the loss of Anthony Mason Jr. for the season to foot surgery.

"I am very optimistic about the second half of (the conference) season," he added. "For the most part we should be in (every) game with a good chance of competing to win."

Do the Johnnies (12-9, 3-6) have to reach a certain number of wins to save Roberts? "We will evaluate everything when the season is over, take everything into account," Monasch said. "It shouldn't be done in the middle of the season."

Roberts took over St. John's at its low point and was given a five-year contract. The administration credits him for running a clean program with respectable players and last season gave him a rolling five-year deal that includes a small buyout if it wishes to go in a different direction.

"When we did that, our intention was to have a long-term relationship with Norm," Monasch said. "It is still our intention."

Tha Kid

Re: Chris Monsach on Norm's Status
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
These comments seem more like he's back unless disaster strikes...he also mentions the injury bug...BUT at the same time, he expects them to be competitive and in almost every game the rest of the weay, which gives him an out if we get blown out a few times...will be interesting...I think 2-3 wins + Lance gets it done.  3-4 without Lance might too.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
"We should be in every game" is actually an interesting statement... i'm not sure if that means the team should be close, or if that means that blowouts are no longer tolerated.  I don't think it's more of the same... it is VERY EASY to say "we renewed Norm's contract, case closed."

Note that neither Harrington nor Monsach said anything about his extension.  That's telling, to me.  Then again, it took until late February for the administration to say Norm was coming back with an extension... that said, this is an awfully tepid vote of confidence.

The phrase "have a good chance of competing to win" is a complete hedge, though - it means nothing.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »
This dude is straight up irrelevant.

Dont know if the ball is filled wit feathers or air.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »
These comments seem more like he's back unless disaster strikes...he also mentions the injury bug...BUT at the same time, he expects them to be competitive and in almost every game the rest of the weay, which gives him an out if we get blown out a few times...will be interesting...I think 2-3 wins + Lance gets it done.  3-4 without Lance might too.

The funny thing about the injury excuse is, if not for Mason's injury our best player would be struggling to get 15-20 minutes a game!

Poison

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »

To his defense, and this will be the only time I'll be coming to it, Chris Monasch can't come out and say, "yea, he's a sitting duck" with a team that just got their pg back, and is sitting in a tie with Notre Dame and Georgetown.

Will we still end up with a losing record? Of course.

But it's not right to talk about firing Norm with 10 games left. No one benefits from that in any way. Not even the fans. SJU learned one lesson from the Jarvis debacle.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
These comments seem more like he's back unless disaster strikes...he also mentions the injury bug...BUT at the same time, he expects them to be competitive and in almost every game the rest of the weay way, which gives him an out if we get blown out a few times...will be interesting...I think 2-3 wins + Lance gets it done.  3-4 without Lance might too.

To his defense, and this will be the only time I'll be coming to it, Chris Monasch can't come out and say, "yea, he's a sitting duck" with a team that just got their pg back, and is sitting in a tie with Notre Dame and Georgetown.

Will we still end up with a losing record? Of course.

But it's not right to talk about firing Norm with 10 games left. No one benefits from that in any way. Not even the fans. SJU learned one lesson from the Jarvis debacle.
Agreed.  It's crazy for people to expect Monsach to say "yeah, he blows goats.  We'll remove him in a few weeks."  It just doesn't work.  I think the lack of "he's our guy" kind of rhetoric says that they ARE looking at the program. 

Hopefully they will do the right thing at the end of the season - it's not hard to evaluate the program's progress before the NCAA tournament.  The worry for me is that they will hinge Norm's return on Lance, who might not decide until the end of the signing period in May.  That's too long to wait for the players, for the recruits, and for the program - especially looking at available coaches. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:27:33 PM by peter »

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »
It seems that Norm  is safe unless we loss the rest of the games in blowout fashion, which of course will not happen.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »
he could have said "i don't comment on personnel matters in mid season.

instead, he gave norm a stroke job.

norm was invited back after an eleven win season.  he'll be back.

i'm going to puke.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »
Norm was allowed to finish his original contract, and coach the phalanx of frosh he brought in.  Evaluating this year is different than evaluating last year.  Not saying any kind of "I'm sure Monsach will" do anything, but I think the quotes given to the paper are telling. 

Don't puke, Newsman.  it can really mess up your keyboard.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
If he says he doesn't comment on things midseason things are left up to interpretation which leads to more rumors and speculation. He nipped everything in the butt with his statements and shows that he is aware of all situations. He didn't say Norm was in trouble and said it was his intention to have Norm around but then again they are on their toes following and evaluating everything without reacting unjustly to any situations.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

I found a  lot of hope out of both Monasch's and Harrington's comments.  It seems to me that Harrington wanted nothing to do with the perception that he is involved in the decision.  To me that means he is either softening the blow for Norm or for himself from the fans.  I am leaning towards Norm.

Monasch and Harrington could have both come out and said that Norm signed an extension and is our coach and that there are no plans to replace him.  They didn't. 

I think we get destroyed by Duke, and have at least two more double-digit losses on top of that. 

We are lucky to have ND--our marquee win of the year (which now looks pretty crappy!)--as the last game of the season.  They will take it to us and that will show everyone that we didn't get better as the year went on.