Why not?

Barkley violated NCAA rules and Artest had a GPA below 1.0

Tha Kid

Re: who would win?
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »
Artest and Barkley should not be allowed to play

Why not?

St. John's was never stripped of their Big East title, were they?  If not, he can play.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »
Artest and Barkley should not be allowed to play

Why not?

St. John's was never stripped of their Big East title, were they?  If not, he can play.

Choosing to look the other way while this program was pulverized is why St Johns is in the shape it is.

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
The All-Norm team vs the All Jarvis team?
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

The all Jarvis and all Norm teams should be adjusted IMO.

Because the starting 5 for your "All Jarvis team" should really be named the "All Frashilla team!"  
My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

(Take your pick of 5) Bench: Q. Roberts, Rob Thomas, Coker, Calhoun, Mason, Wright, Geno, Spears, Missere, Patterson, CJack

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

Take your pick of 5 for Bench: Emanuel, Hill, Ingram, King, Bangura, Fordham, Stanley, Reynolds
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:31:27 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
Was Hatten a Jarvis recruit?

I don't think he was. He was a product of Frashilla via recruitment of Bootsy Thornton.

I think they went to the same junior college.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:34:34 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

Because the starting 5 for your "All Jarvis team" should really be named the "All Frashilla team!"  
My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

(Take your pick of 5) Bench: Q. Roberts, Rob Thomas, Coker, Calhoun, Mason, Wright, Geno, Spears, Missere, Patterson, CJack

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

Take your pick of 5 for Bench: Emanuel, Hill, Ingram, King, Bangura, Fordham, Stanley, Reynolds

This game would be alot closer

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

4 of the best 5 players listed were Jarvis players:
Hatten,Cook, Hill, Hamilton. The 5th best would be Horne or Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

I think you overrate Hamilton. Hill would probably get hurt. Bangura would continually run out of bounds with the ball and half of Norms team would transfer. So that would throw a wrench into this thread :o

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

I think you overrate Hamilton. Hill would probably get hurt. Bangura would continually run out of bounds with the ball and half of Norms team would transfer. So that would throw a wrench into this thread :o

I think your right that 4 of the best players (right now) are Jarvis players. However, Norm's bench would be alot better IMO. Also, it would all depend on what Hill you get. Pre injury? Or post injury?

If was post injury, he wouldn't be included in the starting 5... and maybe even the team of 10.

On a side note, I would of loved to see how CJack's defense would hold up on Hatten!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:54:48 PM by Johnny4Life »

Tha Kid

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »

I don't think he was. He was a product of Frashilla via recruitment of Bootsy Thornton.

Hatten played on Jarvis' two LAST teams.  He was absolutely a Jarvis recruit.  Marcus Hatten had never even heard of Talahassee CC when Fraschilla was recruiting Bootsy, as Marcus was still in high school!

Bootsy may have helped Jarvis - as Bootsy was one of Jarvis' former players - but Fraschilla had NOTHING to do with Hatten - it was ALL Jarvis.

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 05:31:17 PM »
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

Bangura would never play.  Jarvis wouldn't need Hill with Cook and Hatten in the backcourt.

Would this game be a lot closer? Yes.  Norm's team would lose by 15-20 rather than the 40-50 the Artest-Bootsy-Barkley-Grant team could beat them by.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »

You're wrong. Jarvis brought in Hatten. How long have you been watching St.John's?

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 09:24:37 PM »
All-Norm
C Hamilton
F Kennedy
F Mason
G Horne
G Hill

Bench
Evans
Burrell
Missere
Wright
Geno

All-Jarvis
C Grant
F Artest
F Postell
G Thorton
G Barkley

Bench
Hamilton
Cuffe
Shaw
Hill
Cook

My comparison would be:

C Evans
PF Burrell
SF Kennedy
SG Horne
PG Boothe

vs

C Hamilton
PF Cuffe
SF Shaw
SG Hatten
PG Cook (or Hill)

I think your right that 4 of the best players (right now) are Jarvis players. However, Norm's bench would be alot better IMO. Also, it would all depend on what Hill you get. Pre injury? Or post injury?

If was post injury, he wouldn't be included in the starting 5... and maybe even the team of 10.

On a side note, I would of loved to see how CJack's defense would hold up on Hatten!

CJack was Norm Robert's best defender.

He could hold Hatten to 30 points and only 12 steals with some luck.

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »

Hatten played on Jarvis' two LAST teams.  He was absolutely a Jarvis recruit.  Marcus Hatten had never even heard of Talahassee CC when Fraschilla was recruiting Bootsy, as Marcus was still in high school!

Bootsy may have helped Jarvis - as Bootsy was one of Jarvis' former players - but Fraschilla had NOTHING to do with Hatten - it was ALL Jarvis.

OK... so your telling me that there is no connection due to the fact:

(1) Both grew up and lived in Baltimore
(2) Both went to Talahassee CC

This is just my opinion... But sorry but I don't buy that their wasn't some sort of a connection.

I am not saying Jarvis had anything to do with Hatten's recruitment. Hatten obviously signed when Jarvis was the coach. However, I think the seeds were planted way before Jarvis got here!

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »

This is just my opinion... But sorry but I don't buy that their wasn't some sort of a connection.

I am not saying Jarvis had anything to do with Hatten's recruitment. Hatten obviously signed when Jarvis was the coach. However, I think the seeds were planted way before Jarvis got here!

And the seeds were planted for Fran to get Barkley because we had recruited guys from Riverside Church.  so is every recruit Lou Carnesecca's now because he planted the seeds with AAU programs and high schools?

You sound like you don't understand the concept here...Jarvis was responsible for the ENTIRE recruitment of Marcus Hatten. 

No one goes to St. John's because of a previous coach, they come because of the school and the current one.  If previous coaches had any affect, Syl Landesberg would be playing for St. John's.  Or did Syl want to go to UVA because he loved when pete Gillen coached there?   ::) ::) ::)

I admitted in my previous post Bootsy helped iN marcus' recruitment.  He likely told him that he LOVED PLAYING FOR JARVIS.  It's Jarvis' recruit.  Get a clue.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:41:18 AM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 02:29:45 PM »

And the seeds were planted for Fran to get Barkley because we had recruited guys from Riverside Church.  so is every recruit Lou Carnesecca's now because he planted the seeds with AAU programs and high schools?

You sound like you don't understand the concept here...Jarvis was responsible for the ENTIRE recruitment of Marcus Hatten. 

No one goes to St. John's because of a previous coach, they come because of the school and the current one.  If previous coaches had any affect, Syl Landesberg would be playing for St. John's.  Or did Syl want to go to UVA because he loved when pete Gillen coached there?   ::) ::) ::)

I admitted in my previous post Bootsy helped iN marcus' recruitment.  He likely told him that he LOVED PLAYING FOR JARVIS.  It's Jarvis' recruit.  Get a clue.

As other posters have mentioned on previous threads today.... you really must have had too much coffee!

I'll say it once more in plain english for you to understand. I don't believe you can credit Jarvis 100% for the recruitment of Hatten.

(1) I think Fran (and other SJU people) started the buzz with the team they had before Jarvis came here.
(2) I think whoever recruited Bootsy... probably had the same contact to HELP in the recruitment of Hatten. That contact wasn't established by JARVIS.
(3) I think Bootsy probably talked to Hatten... which helped.

That's what I call "recruitment"!

Now... what I do credit JARVIS for.... starting a relationship with HATTEN after FRAN left and selling HATTEN that he would be a good fit here... which got him to sign.

So in summary... Jarvis had SOME influence. But he definitely wasn't 100% responsible!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:30:28 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:46 PM »
As other posters have mentioned on previous threads today.... you really must have had too much coffee!

I'll say it once more in plain english for you to understand. I don't believe you can credit Jarvis 100% for the recruitment of Hatten.

(1) I think Fran (and other SJU people) started the buzz with the team they had before Jarvis came here.
(2) I think whoever recruited Bootsy... probably had the same contact to HELP in the recruitment of Hatten. That contact wasn't established by JARVIS.

Now... what I do credit JARVIS for.... starting a relationship with HATTEN after FRAN left and selling HATTEN that he would be a good fit here... which got him to sign.

So in summary... Jarvis had SOME influence. But he definitely wasn't 100% responsible!

Jarvis was the coach during the entire time of the Hatten's recruitment....  So, Hatten is essentially a Jarvis recruit.

Whether, there was a connection or not between Thornton and Hatten (being Baltimore natives and playing for Tallahassee JC)....  Hatten was a Jarvis recruit.  He was recruited by the Jarvis regime not the Fraschilla regime.

Jarvis recruit....  Plain and simple.

Tha Kid

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »

Johnny4Life,

I don't think you are understanding something.  Fran Fraschilla's final season as the coach of the Red Storm was 1997-1998.  Marcus Hatten's first season at St. John's was 2001-2002.  His first season in college was 1999-2000.

No one is arguing that Bootsy Thornton - who was recruited by but never played for Fran Fraschilla - talked to Marcus to try to sell him on St. John's.  But the notion that any coach was responisble for Hatten's recruitment besides Jarvis is off-base.  It'd be one thing if Fran delivered 4-5 top players from Talahassee CC and established a pipe line to St. John's and you wanted to give him some credit, but he got us 1 player from there ever.  What Bootsy did to try to get Marcus to come to StJ's was all due to how he felt JARVIS was as a coach - and Jarvis gets additional credit for that.

Have a great day.

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:50 PM »

Kid
Actually I think Johnny 4 life is on to something but he did not think it through enough! I believe Hatten's recruitment should be traced even further back than Bootsy and Fran. If you think about it there would be no relationship between SJU and Talahassee CC if the school was not founded in 1966.
But if you want to dig even deeper into Hatten's recruitment you can't stop there becuase if Florida was not accepted into the Union in 1845, this would be a moot point. HOWEVER, if you dig even further into this you would find that Ponce de Leon should be given credit as it was he who named Florida in 1513.
I however feel that the Ais or Apalachee tribes should ultimately be given the credit for Marcus Hatten's recruitment as they were the first known settlers of the region now known as Florida!
You see Jarvis had nothing to do with it really ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:51:56 PM by we are sju »