We can beat Duke!

• 16 replies
We can beat Duke!
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »
Based on how #3 Duke played tonight against #10 Clemson, let's put Duke into our Possible Win list.

They got spanked 74-47!!!
They scored 21 first half points... that 21 points to Clemson's 33.

And they got outscored 41-26 in the second!

Re: We can beat Duke!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »
haha...they got manhandled tonight.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
oh bc they had one bad game this season, against a top 10 team none the less, that means we can beat them...well hell, if we got a shot, they might as well give up on the season bc that means every other team has got a shot at them this season...wow if this is how u feel after one of the top 3 teams in the country has a bad game then how do u usually feel after one of our trademark 20 point losses? suicidal?

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:44:52 AM »
Is this thread a joke to get a rise out of the pessimists?

Honestly just because Duke had an off night is no indicator that we can beat them. However any team on any given night can beat another team. A good team playing great can beat a great team playing good. We'll cross this bridge when we get there lets worry about beating Seton Hall first.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 01:08:24 AM »
I think we get pummelled. This loss will not help us out at all, DUKE will come out fired up and looking to put a hurting on someone. That might be St Johns

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »
Why does everyone think Duke is so good? They are over rated and we can beat them.

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
What a joke of a thread. Duke was abysmal last night but they have 3 losses all year and hadn't lost this bad in 19 years - we lose that bad 3-4 times a year including frequently to duke!  Clemson is also very good. The lesson norm should take from this is duke is flustered by athletic teams who press constantly. We'll see if norm adjusts the game plan accordingly. I bet he doesn't.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
Kid, there are no lessons to be taken from Clemson, an athletic pressing team that can shoot and run.  St. John's can't shoot.

And this thread is obviously a bit of a joke.  There's no law of syllogism in basketball.

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 10:11:15 AM »
Kid, there are no lessons to be taken from Clemson, an athletic pressing team that can shoot and run.  St. John's can't shoot.

And this thread is obviously a bit of a joke.  There's no law of syllogism in basketball.

yes, there is a lesson.  I watch almost every Duke game.  Wake, and now Clemson even moreso, affect Duke's ballhandlers by pressuring them constantly.  It is a great tactic to use against Duke.  Paulus is an awful PG and Nolan Smith had like 3 more assists than TO going into last night's game.  It is not their strong point.  If you don't attack it when you have the athletes - like we do - you're an idiot.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:16:02 AM »
I give us a 1 to 5% chance of beating Duke this year. All of our guys will have to bring their A game for 40 mins to give us a shot. It hasn't happened all year.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:36 AM »

yes, there is a lesson.  I watch almost every Duke game.  Wake, and now Clemson even moreso, affect Duke's ballhandlers by pressuring them constantly.  It is a great tactic to use against Duke.  Paulus is an awful PG and Nolan Smith had like 3 more assists than TO going into last night's game.  It is not their strong point.  If you don't attack it when you have the athletes - like we do - you're an idiot.
Do we have the athletes to do that?  Are you saying that this is something that St. John's can do that the other teams that lost to Duke can't do?  Duke's ballhandlers might be awful, but I assure you they will get their share of turnovers against St. John's ball pressure on them or no.  And I bet that St. John's will be pressuring those guards... and still get crushed. 

Didn't you just say "Duke was abysmal last night?"  St. John's cannot shoot well enough or execute well enough to make pressuring the guards a factor - especially when Duke is running after yet another St. John's miss.  You have to make shots first.  Would you disagree?

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:35:20 AM »

Do we have the athletes to do that?  Are you saying that this is something that St. John's can do that the other teams that lost to Duke can't do?  Duke's ballhandlers might be awful, but I assure you they will get their share of turnovers against St. John's ball pressure on them or no.  And I bet that St. John's will be pressuring those guards... and still get crushed. 

Didn't you just say "Duke was abysmal last night?"  St. John's cannot shoot well enough or execute well enough to make pressuring the guards a factor - especially when Duke is running after yet another St. John's miss.  You have to make shots first.  Would you disagree?

Is there something you don't understand?  I don't think St. John's has ANY chance against them, but our BEST chance, since we HAVE athletes, is try to duplicate Clemson and prey on Duke's biggest weakness - ball handling.  If we don't, that's a sign of a horrible coach.

What do you suggest?  Not makign the gameplan to pressure them because we dont make enough baskets?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »

Is there something you don't understand?  I don't think St. John's has ANY chance against them, but our BEST chance, since we HAVE athletes, is try to duplicate Clemson and prey on Duke's biggest weakness - ball handling.  If we don't, that's a sign of a horrible coach.

What do you suggest?  Not makign the gameplan to pressure them because we dont make enough baskets?
What the hell is wrong with you, man?  Lay off the coffee in the morning!  I agree that St. John's has pretty much no shot against Duke.  I said that Norm will probably put pressure on the Duke guards, but they have to make shots to put pressure on.  I also question whether we have athletes like Clemson's. 

What is wrong with any of that?  And why would you try to create a post I didn't make - "not making a gameplan to pressure them?" 

What the hell, man?

Tha Kid

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 10:58:08 AM »

What the hell is wrong with you, man?  Lay off the coffee in the morning!  I agree that St. John's has pretty much no shot against Duke.  I said that Norm will probably put pressure on the Duke guards, but they have to make shots to put pressure on.  I also question whether we have athletes like Clemson's. 

What is wrong with any of that?  And why would you try to create a post I didn't make - "not making a gameplan to pressure them?" 

What the hell, man?

Um your previous post has a whole line of questioning about us making shots as if I said if we don't beat Duke Roberts sucks.  All I said was if Roberts doesn't pressure their guards he sucks - we lose either way.  And personally I don't think he presses Duke.  And yes we do have the athletes to do what some teams that lost to Duke didn't have the athletes to do.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
Why does everyone think Duke is so good? They are over rated and we can beat them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insane

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »

Um your previous post has a whole line of questioning about us making shots as if I said if we don't beat Duke Roberts sucks.  All I said was if Roberts doesn't pressure their guards he sucks - we lose either way.  And personally I don't think he presses Duke.  And yes we do have the athletes to do what some teams that lost to Duke didn't have the athletes to do.
And I asked if we had the athletes.  Our guards are good defensive guards, but they're not Jerel McNeal.  Or Rivers, Oglesby, and Stitt (and our forwards aren't Booker).

We will see if he pressures Duke... but we agree - either way, it's not gonna be pretty.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:13:52 AM by peter »

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:43:03 AM »
Based on how #3 Duke played tonight against #10 Clemson, let's put Duke into our Possible Win list.

They got spanked 74-47!!!
They scored 21 first half points... that 21 points to Clemson's 33.

And they got outscored 41-26 in the second!

Wanna put money on this?  I'll give you 5-1 odds.