An Exodus of Players if Norm Leaves? Lenn Robbins Thinks So

• 22 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
An Exodus of Players if Norm Leaves? Lenn Robbins Thinks So
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
Checking the NY Post today and Lenn Robbins has an article whose title doesn't quite describe the content...

PLAYERS EYE EXIT IF NORM GETS BOOT
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052009/sports/college/players_eye_exit_if_norm_gets_boot_153681.htm

If Norm Roberts is not retained as St. John's coach next season, that decision likely will trigger a mass exodus of players, The Post has learned.

"Paris [Horne] and I were just talking about that not too long ago," forward D.J. Kennedy told The Post. "He said he heard some people talking about Norm, his situation, and we know it's up to us. If we can win some big games down the stretch that will help him keep his job, and that's what we want."

The Red Storm (12-9, 3-6 Big East) have a chance to post one of their most important wins of the season tonight when they play at Seton Hall (11-9, 2-6) in Newark.

St. John's has lost its last seven league road games and a road win would help silence some of Roberts' critics who never embraced him from the outset, favoring a more well-known commodity such as John Calipari or Matt Doherty....

Yesterday, several of the Johnnies took turns defending Roberts, who has a 60-76 overall record in four-plus seasons and is 23-52 in Big East play.

"I would not play anywhere else," said forward Rob Thomas of Harlem. "Nowhere else in the Big East or the NCAA. They [coaches and teammates] give you everything they have."

First, it's great that the players have Norm's back - that's the mark of good kids right there.  Second, yes, some player or two or three will want to leave (and not just because of the roster/ playing time issues), but no one there said anything about leaving, they just said they'd prefer to play for Norm.

If there's a new coach, he's got a few days to speak to the team and sell them on what he's doing.

And while some posters probably think (like the commenter on the Post article, is that HTGS?) that the Johnnies' ballers aren't up to snuff, I would hate to see most of them go. 

For the administration, that's no reason to make or not make a decision on the coach.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:51:01 AM by peter »

Tha Kid

Re: An Exodus of Players if Norm Leaves? Lenn Robbins Thinks So
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Kids defended their coach but NO ONE said they'd leave.  Misleading title, l-robb
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
Of course they defended Norm because they think this team is good

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:50 AM »
The players have class. They don't want Roberts to take the fall for their performance.

But this article is trying to scare fans into thinking if they call Norm's head, and it happens then players will transfer out because of it.

Hmm. I seem to remember players transferring out last year, and the year before, too.

So what's changed?

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
Checking the NY Post today and Lenn Robbins has an article whose title doesn't quite describe the content...

PLAYERS EYE EXIT IF NORM GETS BOOT
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02052009/sports/college/players_eye_exit_if_norm_gets_boot_153681.htm

If Norm Roberts is not retained as St. John's coach next season, that decision likely will trigger a mass exodus of players, The Post has learned.

"Paris [Horne] and I were just talking about that not too long ago," forward D.J. Kennedy told The Post. "He said he heard some people talking about Norm, his situation, and we know it's up to us. If we can win some big games down the stretch that will help him keep his job, and that's what we want."

The Red Storm (12-9, 3-6 Big East) have a chance to post one of their most important wins of the season tonight when they play at Seton Hall (11-9, 2-6) in Newark.

St. John's has lost its last seven league road games and a road win would help silence some of Roberts' critics who never embraced him from the outset, favoring a more well-known commodity such as John Calipari or Matt Doherty....

Yesterday, several of the Johnnies took turns defending Roberts, who has a 60-76 overall record in four-plus seasons and is 23-52 in Big East play.

"I would not play anywhere else," said forward Rob Thomas of Harlem. "Nowhere else in the Big East or the NCAA. They [coaches and teammates] give you everything they have."

First, it's great that the players have Norm's back - that's the mark of good kids right there.  Second, yes, some player or two or three will want to leave (and not just because of the roster/ playing time issues), but no one there said anything about leaving, they just said they'd prefer to play for Norm.

If there's a new coach, he's got a few days to speak to the team and sell them on what he's doing.

And while some posters probably think (like the commenter on the Post article, is that HTGS?) that the Johnnies' ballers aren't up to snuff, I would hate to see most of them go. 

For the administration, that's no reason to make or not make a decision on the coach.

The funniest part was Rob Thomas saying he won't play for another coach. ;D
Where could he go? If he sat out another year his grand kids would be able to watch him play

kob24

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
He wouldn't have to sit out if norm got fired he could transfer and play that year

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »
He wouldn't have to sit out if norm got fired he could transfer and play that year

I did not know that, so only if the coach leaves voluntarily would the kids have to sit out? Would he be able to play in the BE right away?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:17:03 AM »
I don't think that's true at all.  Transfers have the same sit-out-a-year rule unless they go to Junior College (but Rob will be a junior so that's out) or to a D-II/ D-III/ NAIA school.  You can only play the next year if you have a hardship reason so you need to go home - and Rob's from NY - or you graduate a year early and want to play a year at your graduate institution.  Both of those loopholes might have closed.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
Kids defended their coach but NO ONE said they'd leave.  Misleading title, l-robb

Exactly!  Where does any of the kids mention anything about leaving, when or if, Roberts is let go at seasons end? 

I doubt any of those kids leave, if a new coach is brought in next season....  The only kid(s) who'll leave is if the supposed new coach wants 'em to leave.

Tha Kid

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »

Exactly!  Where does any of the kids mention anything about leaving, when or if, Roberts is let go at seasons end? 

I doubt any of those kids leave, if a new coach is brought in next season....  The only kid(s) who'll leave is if the supposed new coach wants 'em to leave.

Exactly - which means we wouldnt be losing Horne, Kennedy, Burrell, Evans, or Thomas so who cares?

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 11:23:43 AM »
I don't think that's true at all.  Transfers have the same sit-out-a-year rule unless they go to Junior College (but Rob will be a junior so that's out) or to a D-II/ D-III/ NAIA school.  You can only play the next year if you have a hardship reason so you need to go home - and Rob's from NY - or you graduate a year early and want to play a year at your graduate institution.  Both of those loopholes might have closed.

That was my belief as well. The only time I heard of the sit-out rule being waived was in the Baylor situation and for Luke Recker when he got into the accident that paralyzed his girlfriend.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »

That was my belief as well. The only time I heard of the sit-out rule being waived was in the Baylor situation and for Luke Recker when he got into the accident that paralyzed his girlfriend.
Tyler Smith going to Tennessee is a more recent occurrence; but then Keon Lawrence, Herb Pope, and Stephenson (formerly of UNC, Alex is his first name, maybe?), among others tried to abuse the rule. 

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

Tyler Smith going to Tennessee is a more recent occurrence; but then Keon Lawrence, Herb Pope, and Stephenson (formerly of UNC, Alex is his first name, maybe?), among others tried to abuse the rule.

I do not rememeber a coach being fired ever being a way around this rule though! In fact I seem to remember when Bobby Knight was fired from Indiana, Jarred Jefferies stating he would transfer if Mike Davis was not named coach, but did not want to sit out a year.

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 11:53:24 AM »
I think the school would grant a release of the players. Anyways just because it wasn't printed doesn't mean that the kids didn't say it. Either way I don't like media talking to our players about this in the middle of the BE season. Let the kid's focus on something they can control like playing ball games.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 11:55:23 AM »
I think the school would grant a release of the players. Anyways just because it wasn't printed doesn't mean that the kids didn't say it. Either way I don't like media talking to our players about this in the middle of the BE season. Let the kid's focus on something they can control like playing ball games.

Dave, what world do you live in?  Schools don't even release recruits who sign LOIs and NEVER get to play for the coach that recruited them.  why in the world would a school grant a release to a current player because the coach was fired?  You really sound naive sometimes.

Omari and Dwight would struggle to get releases, and may not be able to.  DJ and Paris NEVER would - would have to transfer and sit out 1 year like anyone else.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:56:30 AM by Tha Kid »

kob24

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
Indian released there guard this year because he asked to leave. He is in xavier now but he is sitting out. I'm gonna try to find out but I think it depends on the conference

Tha Kid

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »
Additionally, I don't even think the school can grant a release - I think NCAA is the one who determines to waive the sit-out rule entirely.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:59:52 AM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 12:04:14 PM »

Dave, what world do you live in?  Schools don't even release recruits who sign LOIs and NEVER get to play for the coach that recruited them.  why in the world would a school grant a release to a current player because the coach was fired?  You really sound naive sometimes.

Omari and Dwight would struggle to get releases, and may not be able to.  DJ and Paris NEVER would - would have to transfer and sit out 1 year like anyone else.

I should have said, "I think the school would have to grant a release to the players." My apologies for the confusion.

Recruits have it easier granting releases. See Tyshwan Taylor of Kansas who committed to Marquette but was granted a release upon Crean's departure. He is playing this year for Kansas.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:36 PM »

I should have said, "I think the school would have to grant a release to the players." My apologies for the confusion.

Recruits have it easier granting releases. See Tyshwan Taylor of Kansas who committed to Marquette but was granted a release upon Crean's departure. He is playing this year for Kansas.

OK - now your post makes more sense.  I don't think a current player can be released though - they have to transfer and sit out like everyone else.  Up to the NCAA whether to waive the year sit-out - sure maybe the school askign them to waive it would go a long way but that never happens.

Recruits have a MUCH easier time getting released, but not all of them do. 

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
I also agree that is a terrible title , as someone that coaches every summer for the last 5 years I love to see the kids have loyalty to their coach.

As a St.johns fan it would be great to get a new coach that could have flexibility to sign his own. So if players were to leave the program it would be for the best.   
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"