• 22 replies
Should we go big?
« on: February 15, 2009, 01:44:03 AM »
PG- DJ Kennedy
SG- Paris Horne
SF- Rob Thomas
PF- Justin Burrell
C- Sean Evans

It seems DJ has been our best distributor all season and has averaged 4apg and 2topg in Big East play. Also getting 6.5 over last 2 games.

Defensively I think Sean Evans is capable of guarding a SF while Rob Thomas is just too slow likewise with Justin Burrell. I actually think Sean Evans would prove to be a tough matchup for a 3 because it would be tough to shoot over him in addition to driving past him.

Offensively well we're not that good there any way you put it but at least we have our 5 best scorers out on the court at once.

Also I think the positive development of Dele Coker allows Rob Thomas to start because Dele could fill in minutes for either Justin or Sean.

As much as I like Boothe right now he is killing us. Teams are backing off him, daring him to shoot or take it to the lane where he is getting blocked. They know he is looking to pass and we have no counter move to stop teams from cheating.

Thoughts? other lineup combos?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Should we go big?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »
Interesting thought.  But can Sean Evans defend three guard lineup combos or quick SFs?  I don't think so.  Also, does that negate the one skill he brings to the statsheet, rebounding? 

Be nice if our other guards have a little more handle and passing ability...

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:09 AM »
DJ passes well but he doesn't dribble well. Do you think this lineup could handle the press?

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
Big or small it dont matter.
Aint nuthin gonna be turnin this thing around.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »
DJ passes well but he doesn't dribble well. Do you think this lineup could handle the press?

define handle?

Will they fly past the press and score? No

Will they use almost all 10 seconds in the backcourt to get it over? Yes

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »

C'mon Choz we're just talking some hypotheticals. In all seriousness what would you do if you were the current coach and needed to try something different to try and win?

boo3

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
I think we should play zone 90%  of the time.  We are clearly not good man defenders.  Then i would start Coker at center.  keep him under hoop and let him use his shot blocking ability.  my 2 cents

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »

C'mon Choz we're just talking some hypotheticals. In all seriousness what would you do if you were the current coach and needed to try something different to try and win?

Stop the season and spend the next few months erasin all the bad habits these players got.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »

Stop the season and spend the next few months erasin all the bad habits these players got.

::)

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 04:42:25 PM »
Laugh all y'all want.
But these players need to be broken down individually 'fore they can even learn to play as a team.

Then maybe they can rise like the phoenix.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Laugh all y'all want.
But these players need to be broken down individually 'fore they can even learn to play as a team.

Then maybe they can rise like the phoenix.

I'm not disagreeing choz, however this wasn't the question I posed. There are still 7+ games in the season left and I'm looking for answers on immediately what can this team do to try and improve? What would you do as the coach to try and mask some of our short comings and highlight our strengths?

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »
These guys don't know how to run a fast break.  All season, I've seen bad spacing when the had 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 breaks.  Guys ended up bringing the defenders together and tripping over each other as they turn the ball over.

Against Marquette, there were a couple of breaks where the guy bringing the ball up never passed it even though the defender was guarding him.  You learn how to run a fast break somewhere around the 3rd grade

Poison

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:31:49 PM »
PG- DJ Kennedy
SG- Paris Horne
SF- Rob Thomas
PF- Justin Burrell
C- Sean Evans

It seems DJ has been our best distributor all season and has averaged 4apg and 2topg in Big East play. Also getting 6.5 over last 2 games.

Defensively I think Sean Evans is capable of guarding a SF while Rob Thomas is just too slow likewise with Justin Burrell. I actually think Sean Evans would prove to be a tough matchup for a 3 because it would be tough to shoot over him in addition to driving past him.

Offensively well we're not that good there any way you put it but at least we have our 5 best scorers out on the court at once.

Also I think the positive development of Dele Coker allows Rob Thomas to start because Dele could fill in minutes for either Justin or Sean.

As much as I like Boothe right now he is killing us. Teams are backing off him, daring him to shoot or take it to the lane where he is getting blocked. They know he is looking to pass and we have no counter move to stop teams from cheating.

Thoughts? other lineup combos?

I've been saying since the beginning of the season that DJ needs to run the point. I agree Dave. Good call.

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
in my opinion, what a team should be, and the closest to what we have to it:

--a center that can be a defensive presence, and finish on the offensive end around the rim, if nothing else but in a offensive cleanup role = Coker
--a pg that can run the floor, handle the ball, create for his team mates, pass without turnovers and hit a shot when hes open = boothe
--a sg that can create off the dribble, penetrate, finish around the rim, and hit a shot with a man in his face = horne
--a pf that can score with his back to the basket, shoot a jumper up to 10 feet, and rebound and block shots at a marginal rate = burrell
--a sf that brings an equal mix from the sg and pf positions...in essence, someone who fills the stat sheet up in every category = kennedy

this team should be a halfcourt team, slow, looking for smart high percentage shots, with an emphasis on defense, keeping the score low and close, and minimizing the opportunities the opponent gets on the offensive end...fast break is what kills us bc we can do it...we're quick and athletic, but we're stupid and sloppy...i was watching the all star slam dunk and 3 point contests the other night and forgot we were playing, so to make a long story short i tuned in to the game twice, both during fast breaks...one was a 3 on 1, and the other was a 3 on 2, and on both we didnt convert, mostly out of selfishness since no one would pass out for an open shot at the basket, but even in situations when we do pass going down the floor we are sloppy...we dont have a lot of firepower and yet we play a fast tempo, and give our opponents many more trips down the floor than we can handle

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »
in my opinion, what a team should be, and the closest to what we have to it:

--a center that can be a defensive presence, and finish on the offensive end around the rim, if nothing else but in a offensive cleanup role = Coker
--a pg that can run the floor, handle the ball, create for his team mates, pass without turnovers and hit a shot when hes open = boothe
--a sg that can create off the dribble, penetrate, finish around the rim, and hit a shot with a man in his face = horne
--a pf that can score with his back to the basket, shoot a jumper up to 10 feet, and rebound and block shots at a marginal rate = burrell
--a sf that brings an equal mix from the sg and pf positions...in essence, someone who fills the stat sheet up in every category = kennedy

this team should be a halfcourt team, slow, looking for smart high percentage shots, with an emphasis on defense, keeping the score low and close, and minimizing the opportunities the opponent gets on the offensive end...fast break is what kills us bc we can do it...we're quick and athletic, but we're stupid and sloppy...i was watching the all star slam dunk and 3 point contests the other night and forgot we were playing, so to make a long story short i tuned in to the game twice, both during fast breaks...one was a 3 on 1, and the other was a 3 on 2, and on both we didnt convert, mostly out of selfishness since no one would pass out for an open shot at the basket, but even in situations when we do pass going down the floor we are sloppy...we dont have a lot of firepower and yet we play a fast tempo, and give our opponents many more trips down the floor than we can handle

In a perfect world that would be the ideal lineup but its just not realistic for this season.

sjd8886

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 07:42:55 PM »
i know...with some work, and an x's and o's coach, maybe next year

Poison

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
These guys don't know how to run a fast break.  All season, I've seen bad spacing when the had 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 breaks.  Guys ended up bringing the defenders together and tripping over each other as they turn the ball over.

Against Marquette, there were a couple of breaks where the guy bringing the ball up never passed it even though the defender was guarding him.  You learn how to run a fast break somewhere around the 3rd grade

Boothe doesn't know how to run the break. He can't see over anyone.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
I'd go with Coker at the five for now.  He is the second best rebounder on the team and he can block shots. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm sorry dave but I'm with choz. At this point in the season there is no hope of turning it around.  If we go big against a team like duke, you are telling me that sean evans is guarding gerald henderson or jon scheyer? That's frightening. 

Boothe
Horne
Dj
Justin
Sean

Its our best and most traditional lineup - and it won't get us more than 1-2 wins. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »

I think Norm should try this lineup:
Coker
Evans
Burrell
Kennedy
Horne
Boothe
6 against 5 would def help our chance of winning! I think if we could play these 6, we could very easily win 2 of our last 6!