Fact or Fiction: Dele Coker will be top 10 big man in BE next season?

• 15 replies
I'm not saying he will be or he won't be but I figure some may argue either way. If he can cut down the fouls(no indication he will) and if he saw 20-28mpg next year could he average around 8 points, 8 boards, and 3blks a game?

Also feel free to name your top 10 lists for next season. Also keep in mind some of those guys might jump ship(not that anyone should be banking on it but it might very well happen)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

Re: Fact or Fiction: Dele Coker will be top 10 big man in BE next season?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »
I'm not saying he will be or he won't be but I figure some may argue either way. If he can cut down the fouls(no indication he will) and if he saw 20-28mpg next year could he average around 8 points, 8 boards, and 3blks a game?

Also feel free to name your top 10 lists for next season. Also keep in mind some of those guys might jump ship(not that anyone should be banking on it but it might very well happen)

Absolute fiction.  He made some nice shots tonight, but his form and was nothing special and he will not continue to hit them.  The best thing he brings is the paint presence. 

Man to man he is awful.  He looks goofy and doesn't have a clue.  There was one play when he was matched up with I believe Hayward, and was overplaying him like fourth grader and then got completey sealed and pushed out beyond the FT.  McNeal followed with an open lane layup. 

I don't think he'll ever be able to give more than 15 minutes a night under a coach like Norm.  That could change with a better coach.

Harangody
Garcia
Pope
Echinique
Mike Williams
Y. Gates
Onuaku
Rick Jackson
Koshwal
Hayward
Gilchrest (USF)
Ebanks

Monroe, Summer, Blair, Samuels if they don't go pro.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:44:49 AM »

Absolute fiction.  He made some nice shots tonight, but his form and was nothing special and he will not continue to hit them.  The best thing he brings is the paint presence. 

Man to man he is awful.  He looks goofy and doesn't have a clue.  There was one play when he was matched up with I believe Hayward, and was overplaying him like fourth grader and then got completey sealed and pushed out beyond the FT.  McNeal followed with an open lane layup. 

I don't think he'll ever be able to give more than 15 minutes a night under a coach like Norm.  That could change with a better coach.

Harangody
Garcia
Pope
Echinique
Mike Williams
Y. Gates
Onuaku
Rick Jackson
Koshwal
Hayward
Gilchrest (USF)
Ebanks

I think he should knoclout marillac, than 3 or 4 of these guys.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »

Harangody
Garcia
Pope
Echinique
Mike Williams
Y. Gates
Onuaku
Rick Jackson
Koshwal
Hayward
Gilchrest (USF)
Ebanks

I think he should knoclout marillac, than 3 or 4 of these guys.
Now that's just uncalled for!

And I don't know if he'll be top 10 if we're including "true" centers and power forwards - he's not fluid enough.  But he could make some plays, definitely.  He's getting the hang of shot blocking.  But his game today is not indicative of how he'd play against teams with 6'9" and taller players.

Don't forget Villanova's bringing in some top big man recruits.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
C'mon now.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
some of us have fallen off the deep end....uh dave!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »

Me?  :D lol

So whats your top 10 buckeye?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
One play last night showed why Dele is not going to be a top ten big man anytime soon...Hayward got a nice entry pass off a slip on a screen and lost his man.  Dele came over for the help, but immediately went airborn while Hayward was taking a power dribble to get collect himself and get better position.  Dele went for a shot block while he was still dribbling! and fell on him and committed the foul.

Really showed poor instincts.

With that said, he is our second best rebounder and best shot blocker. 

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:50:55 PM »
I wouldn't pin all of Dele's successes and failures on one play. His blocks per minute are really awesome this year. I wish his rebounding would improve slightly.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
I wouldn't pin all of Dele's successes and failures on one play. His blocks per minute are really awesome this year. I wish his rebounding would improve slightly.

I wasn't.  That play showed how raw he was, and there were half a dozen others in the Marquette game alone. 

He tries to block everything and he will always be prone to foul trouble because of that and his poor basketball instincts.  He is a guy that you do not want on the floor in a big situation because he is likely to do anything.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »
If continues to work hard, and he can improve on the areas that he already acceptable in like shot blocking, and running the court, he can be Big East player.

But saying that he you see a top 10 big man out of what he's shown us confuses me, because he hasn't changed the face of any game this season. And he's had ample time to show everyone his improvement.

Coker and Boothe are the two biggest disappointments on this team.
They needed to step up and make plays for us, and they simply weren't able to perform at this level.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »

Me?  :D lol

So whats your top 10 buckeye?

no particular order...im including PFs 6'8" and above

Devin Ebanks  #3  F
Da'Sean Butler  #1  F
Dante Cunningham  #33  F
Arinze Onuaku  #21  F
Gregory Echenique  #0  F
Earl Clark  #5  G-F
Samardo Samuels  #24  F
Greg Monroe  #10  C
DaJuan Summers  #3  F
Mac Koshwal  #13  C

if these guys stay....
Hasheem Thabeet  #34  C
Jerome Dyson  #11  G

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:49:12 PM »
Poison, you think Coker is a bigger disappointment than Burrell?

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
deli has no shot at being top ten...can he become a great shot blocker and rebounder next year..definately and hed help a bunch seeing as how our interior defense is =X this year......and jb has to be considered a disapointment this year..deli had nothing to live up to like he did

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:17 AM »

Dave I sincerely hope you are a better judge of potential girlfriends than you are of basketball players :)

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 01:38:29 PM »
he doesn't have the coaching to take him to the top ten level.