It's time for the Fire Norm chants

• 18 replies

Marillac

It's time for the Fire Norm chants
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:04:22 AM »
We have 13 double-digit losses already.  I say when we go down by 15 we break out the "Fire Norm!" chants.

This will be our most visible game here on out.

Re: It's time for the Fire Norm chants
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »
Good luck trying to get heard over the Duke Fans tonight.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
We have 13 double-digit losses already.  I say when we go down by 15 we break out the "Fire Norm!" chants.

You are entitled to your opinions and certainly you can do whatever you want but I'd strongly discourage doing this because players have voiced to students they don't like it and it affects them negatively.

If you want Norm gone then write a formal letter to the AD instead of acting foolishly like a guy who had one too many beers in the stands.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »

You are entitled to your opinions and certainly you can do whatever you want but I'd strongly discourage doing this because players have voiced to students they don't like it and it affects them negatively.

If you want Norm gone then write a formal letter to the AD instead of acting foolishly like a guy who had one too many beers in the stands.

If they players have really said they are negatively effected by "FIRE NORM" chants..  maybe they should suit up for the womens Team...      that is just a weak statement. Maybe if they just played better it wouldn't be an issue at all.

If they don't know their coach is in major trouble they are dumb or extremely naive. The fans have every right to chant anything they want.

Tha Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »

Dave, while I'm sure the players have voiced their opinions, it's prob because they jsut feel guilty that Norm might leave and they havent won- cuz they are good guys.  Not like it will affect their returning next year.

While you make a good point about acting like a "foolish drunk guy," if MSG is LOUD with lots of "Fire Norm" chants - the journalists, CM, and FH will hear about it --- or HEAR it if they are there.  And that goes a LONG way.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »

If they players have really said they are negatively effected by "FIRE NORM" chants..  maybe they should suit up for the womens Team...      that is just a weak statement. Maybe if they just played better it wouldn't be an issue at all.

If they don't know their coach is in major trouble they are dumb or extremely naive. The fans have every right to chant anything they want.

They aren't professionals...they are amatuer student athletes. Lets not treat them like we would the Knicks.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »

Dave, honestly, this is a laughable response.  Who gives a f*ck what the players think?  Are they wearing skirts now?  Affects them negatively?  They have 13 losses of 10 or more points with nobody chanting. 

Chanting "Fire Roberts" is not acting like a guy that had too many beers in the stands.  Maybe if you are shirtless and falling all over yourself while chanting...but not just joining in a chant. 

If a player can't handle a chant for the firing of his coach, then that player should not be participating in D-1 athletics. 

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »

Dave, honestly, this is a laughable response.  Who gives a f*ck what the players think?  Are they wearing skirts now?  Affects them negatively?  They have 13 losses of 10 or more points with nobody chanting. 

Chanting "Fire Roberts" is not acting like a guy that had too many beers in the stands.  Maybe if you are shirtless and falling all over yourself while chanting...but not just joining in a chant. 

If a player can't handle a chant for the firing of his coach, then that player should not be participating in D-1 athletics.

To be honest, Marillac or anyone else who starts chanting "Fire Roberts" aren't directing anything at the amateurs (which, are the kids).  He's directing his chants directly towards Roberts.

I say, ratchet up the chants.  We can't go into next year with Roberts at the helm.  Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I'm tired of having nothing to look forward to during the college basketball season.  It's time to become of relevence again in college hoops.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »

To be honest, Marillac or anyone else who starts chanting "Fire Roberts" aren't directing anything at the amateurs (which, are the kids).  He's directing his chants directly towards Roberts.

I say, ratchet up the chants.  We can't go into next year with Roberts at the helm.  Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

I'm tired of having nothing to look forward to during the college basketball season.  It's time to become of relevence again in college hoops.

Amen.  The darkest hour of my time as a fan of this program came last spring, knowing that I had nothing to look forward to for the coming year.

None of us should have to go through that again because we are worried about 20 year old MEN might getting sad hearing their coach's name in a negative chant. 

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »

Considering how bad we have been for 5 years now maybe the overall quietness of the fans is negatively affecting the players. Maybe Fire Norm chants will help the players? It could not hurt right?

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »

This game will realistically be our first home game to draw 10K+. For the portion of the fan base that is interested in Bob Knight, he's going to be calling the game with Brent Musberger.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »
We have 13 double-digit losses already.  I say when we go down by 15 we break out the "Fire Norm!" chants. This will be our most visible game here on out.
Sorry, but I see this as a lame post coming from a guy who doesn’t attend many games, and has stated that he will not be there tonight.

Just my humble opinion.

Wow, did you really write that?

The last time I checked, this is a game between two squads of college kids.
It’s ALL about the kids man.

Come on now, just support the kids.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 02:19:48 PM »
We have 13 double-digit losses already.  I say when we go down by 15 we break out the "Fire Norm!" chants. This will be our most visible game here on out.
Sorry, but I see this as a lame post coming from a guy who doesn’t attend many games, and has stated that he will not be there tonight.

Just my humble opinion.

Wow, did you really write that?

The last time I checked, this is a game between two squads of college kids.
It’s ALL about the kids man.

Come on now, just support the kids.

I would have responded sooner, but I was busy cleaning up the vomit.  All about the kids?  All about the KIDS!!!!?!??!  What is this third grade CYO? 

Are you a priest?  It's stops being about the kids once they leave modified or JV sports.  These aren't kids.  A lot of these "kids" have kids of their own. 

WOWOWOOWOWOW.  All about the kids....

kob24

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:28 PM »
Marillac I have come to the conclusion that u are d!ck. I don't care about the fire norm chant but I do care about the remarks about the kids. U are a piece of sh!t

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 02:51:40 PM »
Marillac I have come to the conclusion that u are d!ck. I don't care about the fire norm chant but I do care about the remarks about the kids. U are a piece of sh!t

I didn't make any remarks about the kids. I have never and will never say anything negative at a game about an amateur, but I'll be damned if I ever consider hurting their feelings indirectly by taking a grown man to task.  A man that makes over a half million dollars a year ruining my school.

I played college ball--not Big East but still college--and I played big time high school ball, and you don't step on the field or court unless you can take getting heckled.  I scored four TD's against Burrell's old high school in JAYVEE and I got spit on by a fan after the game and called a racial remarks.  I was fifteen and laughed it off. 

But, I cannot deny that I am a d!ck. 

College sports, especially men's basketball and football, ARE NOT all about the kids.  It is business and if given the choice, the kids would almost all keep it that way. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:06:41 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:52:51 PM »
Yo this board gettin outta control.

REIN IT IN FELLAS!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »
The sissification of America.  If kids will get sad about their coach being made fun of, join the f*cking chess club. 

kob24

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »
Ur problem is with him not them. That's like taking out a terrorist cell and hitting a orphanage in the process. But it's ok it's just a casullity of war. Come on like I said put up signs paint ur self go on american idol and sing fire norm. U have every right but when u say who gives a damn about the kids u make this sport more and more ugly. As for the people who spat on u and called u racial remarks they are worse than pieces of sh!t and ur family and friends should have took their heads off

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
no need for the name calling.  I think this topic has run its course.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!