Lance is coming...?

• 45 replies
Re: Lance is coming...?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
Jury is still out on the freshman. All along we've said Phil Wait would not contribute this year and he'd be more of a factor this year, QR was going to be the most ready while Ty has some potential. I think the easiest solution is to have Mason Jr. walk on next year. I really hope this is the case.

Agree about Ty. Saw some improvement in his 8 minutes last night (2-2 FG, 0 TO, 2 steals). IMO he has good basketball IQ and some athletic ability. Needs strength and confidence. If he hits the weights this summer, the confidence may follow and he could be better than he's looked so far. Hope he stays.........Also, if Coker can get and hold on to the ball within 10 feet of the hoop, I think he could put up some points. He actually looks like one of our best free throw shooters when he gets to the line........I really like Rob but he needs to work on his FT. His game is going strong to the hoop and he will get fouled. He's leaving too many points on the table with his FT and with our offense every point counts.......Speaking of FT, Sean has gone from terrible to inconsistent. Still needs to improve (He and Rob should be in the gym daily at the foul line)........I too would like to see Mase walk-on but it's probably not likely. 

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 11:03:22 PM »
Jury is still out on the freshman. All along we've said Phil Wait would not contribute this year and he'd be more of a factor this year, QR was going to be the most ready while Ty has some potential. I think the easiest solution is to have Mason Jr. walk on next year. I really hope this is the case.

I don't think it is fair to let Mason walk on.  Mason Sr. is not THAT rich to just pay 30 g's for no reason, and he shouldn't ahve to.  He does have a lot of other kids with different women, so there is alimony and/or child care he has been paying since Mase was a kid.  Not to mentioned he has been named in a few lawsuits.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a lot of money.  A few of his kids are in public schools.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 11:17:17 PM »

I don't think it is fair to let Mason walk on.  Mason Sr. is not THAT rich to just pay 30 g's for no reason, and he shouldn't ahve to.  He does have a lot of other kids with different women, so there is alimony and/or child care he has been paying since Mase was a kid.  Not to mentioned he has been named in a few lawsuits.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a lot of money.  A few of his kids are in public schools.

Can St Johns hire  Mase Sr. to work with the big men? If his father is employed by the University doesnt Jr. go to school for free? Isnt that whats goin on at USC?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:24:35 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »

Well first off there are a number of possibilities here.

A) He lived with his mother so he could apply for financial aid through his mother. Generally single parents, which I'm assuming she is, qualify for a lot more.

B) Mason could also enter grad school which he would then be eligible for academic scholarship being a "new" student in his first year of school.

C) the leftover cost is greatly lowered and could easily come from somewhere or someone.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:17 AM »
Can St Johns hire  Mase Sr. to work with the big men? If his father is employed by the University doesnt Jr. go to school for free? Isnt that whats goin on at USC?

Now just wait a second… I touched on this on the other board.
How about Justin? Oz already works for the school, so as his legal guardian doesn’t that entitle JB to free tuition?

Tha Kid… what’s your take on this as a young and promising attorney?

Opinions solicited and accepted Pro Bono of course!  LOL

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 03:42:34 AM »

A) He lived with his mother so he could apply for financial aid through his mother. Generally single parents, which I'm assuming she is, qualify for a lot more.

B) Mason could also enter grad school which he would then be eligible for academic scholarship being a "new" student in his first year of school.

C) the leftover cost is greatly lowered and could easily come from somewhere or someone.

No. Graduate students are not eligible for federal grants...only loans.

It would not be fair, based on merit, for the university to give any aid to Mason that they would not give to a normal student simply because he is a basketball player.

It really isn't that tricky.  Scholarships are renewed annually.  Ty didn't make the cut.  It happens.  If we get a good player to sign on, bye bye Ty and possibly Q. 

If we try to give Justin a free ride based on his association with Oz, we are going to create a lot of unnecessary bad PR. It would not be worth it, and it would not be the right thing to do. Also, I seriously doubt that it would even be allowed bythe school, as Oz is just his legal guardian and not a parent.

sjd8886

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa....a guy who played 13 seasons in the nba cant afford one year of college for his son...first off, theres such a thing as financial aid, which means if he truly cant bc he mike tysoned his money away, that he'll only have to pay a portion of it...but i really dont think he did that bc i see the crap hanging around his neck at the games...also, do you guys know how many blue collar workers have afforded college for their families...and yea after financial aid they're maybe only paying a few grand a semester but if those guys can swing that, mason cant swing a full 30? thats really sad if he cant

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »
What if Mase took just one class next year and paid on his own?  Are part-time students allowed to play?  I know Matt Leinart took just one class his 5th season at USC but that may be different because it's a one semester sport and he was still under scholarship.

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
Grad students are still eligible for financial aid
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 01:05:44 PM »
Grad students are still eligible for financial aid

No they are not...only from the school.  Believe me, I have more degrees than I know what to do with. 

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
I know Matt Leinart took just one class his 5th season at USC....
True, but that was ballroom dancing, not just any old two credit cupcake.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
What if Mase took just one class next year and paid on his own?  Are part-time students allowed to play?  I know Matt Leinart took just one class his 5th season at USC but that may be different because it's a one semester sport and he was still under scholarship.

You need to be a full-time student in order to participate in NCAA athletics. 

Mason will be on scholarship, guys, let's just face that fact. 

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 02:09:45 PM »

No. Graduate students are not eligible for federal grants...only loans.

It would not be fair, based on merit, for the university to give any aid to Mason that they would not give to a normal student simply because he is a basketball player.

It really isn't that tricky.  Scholarships are renewed annually.  Ty didn't make the cut.  It happens.  If we get a good player to sign on, bye bye Ty and possibly Q. 

If we try to give Justin a free ride based on his association with Oz, we are going to create a lot of unnecessary bad PR. It would not be worth it, and it would not be the right thing to do. Also, I seriously doubt that it would even be allowed bythe school, as Oz is just his legal guardian and not a parent.
I'd let Wait go before Q. Not sure what type of strength program Phil needs to compete in the BE. He played in a basketball academy in Europe and is 21 years old. It's not like he is a skinny 17 year old coming out of high school. Does anyone have confidence that he will contribute in the next few years or will he have a similar career as Tomas ?

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 02:29:52 PM »
If you could take 5 trips, all expenses paid, would you?

not to kansas...no.

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »
...If we try to give Justin a free ride based on his association with Oz, we are going to create a lot of unnecessary bad PR. It would not be worth it, and it would not be the right thing to do. Also, I seriously doubt that it would even be allowed bythe school, as Oz is just his legal guardian and not a parent.

Dependents
The dependents of benefits eligible employees who have met the length of service and other requirements are eligible for Dependent Tuition Benefits, provided such dependents 1) are unmarried, 2) are registered as full-time students prior to their 25th birthday, and 3) satisfy the requirements listed below during the applicable year.

Eligible dependent means:

the employee's biological child;
children of the employee's spouse or eligible same-sex domestic partner;
children for whom the employee is the legal guardian or has legal custody; and
the employee's adopted children and children who have been placed with the eligible employee for adoption.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
...If we try to give Justin a free ride based on his association with Oz, we are going to create a lot of unnecessary bad PR. It would not be worth it, and it would not be the right thing to do. Also, I seriously doubt that it would even be allowed bythe school, as Oz is just his legal guardian and not a parent.

Dependents
The dependents of benefits eligible employees who have met the length of service and other requirements are eligible for Dependent Tuition Benefits, provided such dependents 1) are unmarried, 2) are registered as full-time students prior to their 25th birthday, and 3) satisfy the requirements listed below during the applicable year.

Eligible dependent means:

the employee's biological child;
children of the employee's spouse or eligible same-sex domestic partner;
children for whom the employee is the legal guardian or has legal custody; and
the employee's adopted children and children who have been placed with the eligible employee for adoption.

Ok, you just disproved yourself:  "length of servie."  Oz has been here for, what, six months? 

This is a slippery slope that we should avoid at all cost.  What would stop a team like UCLA getting a coach become the legal guardian of a kid and getting a free ride? 

If it was that easy every relative of a professor or employee would be come a legal guardian of an incoming freshman.

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »
RSHF, you are a comedian.  Over and over you praise Norm for doing things right and then you suggest a blatant attempt to gain a one scholarship advantage over every other school we compete against.

There is dead weight on our roster.  Ty, Wait, Q...they can all go if we find a recruit like a Stehenson.  It is perfectly legal and done all the time--Norm's specialty by the way. 

In the ridiculously unlikely event of getting JB free tuition (no free room and board by the way--which is just one of the MANY holes in your plan), how quickly until there is a story about it, making us seem like cheaters?

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 04:06:42 AM »
Q would start for Penn St. they lose a lot of fire power this year & Battle will be in the draft next year. Q I hope you don't read this board, we need you brother :)
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 05:01:32 AM »
Q would start for Penn St. they lose a lot of fire power this year & Battle will be in the draft next year. Q I hope you don't read this board, we need you brother :)

Battle is very good, but I don't think he'll be an NBA player.  Also, who wants to play at Penn State! :)

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
Marillac: I would have thought you knew that this was already being done…

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11400254

Report: NCAA looks into Hackett's USC arrangement
Feb. 20, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

LOS ANGELES -- The NCAA is looking into whether point guard Daniel Hackett's arrangement to play for Southern California was part of a package deal that includes his father, who is the school's strength and conditioning coach, according to a report.

Because Rudy Hackett is a university employee, his son Daniel receives free tuition, which opens up another scholarship for the Trojans to use, ESPN reported Thursday.

Hackett's name was mentioned, but he is only one of the "package deals" that an NCAA focus group is looking into, the cable network said. Such a situation technically does not violate NCAA rules.
USC coach Tim Floyd denied any wrongdoing.

"All I can tell you is that that bridge was crossed three years ago with the NCAA, with the Pac-10, with our compliance office and we have not done one thing wrong," Floyd said after the Trojans beat Washington State 61-51 Thursday night.

"As far as Rudy Hackett being at this university as our basketball coach, he was here a year before Daniel Hackett got here and he's far more qualified than 95 percent of the assistant coaches in the United States of America. He played in the NBA, he played on a Final Four team at Syracuse, coached and played in Italy and was highly recommended by the number one team in Southern California."

Rudy Hackett joined USC in 2005. His son, a point guard who grew up in Italy and has represented the country internationally, joined the Trojans a year later.

Floyd said that Rudy Hackett had been recommended to him by Pat Barrett, president of the Southern Cal All-Stars, an AAU team.

"He recommended him, I hired him and I'm very glad we did," Floyd said. "That's all I got to say."