props to the signs

• 21 replies
props to the signs
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »
i guess those njit signs was a nice practice for the big ones today

Re: props to the signs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
Congrats to the student sections! I wish the rest of the building would have back up your chants.  I just think its pathetic when the home crowd can't stomp their feet and yell defense.  We have to become better sixth Men!  The team does play considerably better when the crowd is behind them.
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »
Loved that huge pic of GONZO's smug face!

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »
thought the student sections did a great job today. gonzo even mentioned the signs in his postgame interview. nice to see the place packed.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »
I agree that the students are to be commended today too. They showed up in force and got loud and truly gave the team their home court advantage. Loved the We Are chant, made me feel like a true college game, which isn’t always the case at CA.

The student’s signs were very good too, my two nominees for best sign are the “I don’t want to play at Carnesecca Arena Mommy” and the “Welcome to the World’s Most Famous Arena”!!!

The oversized photos of BG’s mug gets an honorable mention!

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:38:42 PM »
They showed a few on TV several times.  Great stuff guys!  Actually looked like a college atmosphere.

It would be nice if the rest of the crowd at least clapped once in a while.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »
They showed a few on TV several times.  Great stuff guys!  Actually looked like a college atmosphere.

It would be nice if the rest of the crowd at least clapped once in a while.

I was at the game, up in the cheap seats and the crowd was definitely into the game. For some reason, the students chants were hard to understand-maybe I need to clean my ears

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 09:43:22 PM »
Was the game ACTUALLY sold out, or were just most of the seats filled?  The crowd sounded good on TV but its walways hard to tell cause they pump up the crowd volume a lot in the TV production trucks.  Glad to hear it was a good crowd.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:52:54 PM »
Was the game ACTUALLY sold out, or were just most of the seats filled?  The crowd sounded good on TV but its walways hard to tell cause they pump up the crowd volume a lot in the TV production trucks.  Glad to hear it was a good crowd.

To my eyes, it looked 99% sold out. I can't remember seeing the upper deck filled lately.
The darm parking lot was almost full 45 minutes before game time.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »
It was actually sold out.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
I agree that the students are to be commended today too. They showed up in force and got loud and truly gave the team their home court advantage. Loved the We Are chant, made me feel like a true college game, which isn’t always the case at CA.

The student’s signs were very good too, my two nominees for best sign are the “I don’t want to play at Carnesecca Arena Mommy” and the “Welcome to the World’s Most Famous Arena”!!!

Kinda hard to tell probably, but the picture had a bib underneath his face that said "I Love Mommy"  with the "love" being inside of a heart...i also cut a hole in his mouth and taped a pacifier inside of it...the poster that said "I don't wanna play in carnesecca mommy!" was supposed to be a thought bubble, which is why it was usually right next to the head...i had 2 pictures of his face made and the other thought bubble said "Timeout..........oh wait"  referring to last year when he called a timeout before the 3 point shot from beyond half court went in but then didnt count..but the guys on the other side never held that one up

loved the "welcome to the world's most famous arena" sign..my buddy came up with that idea, i thought it was great

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:26 PM »
loved the "welcome to the world's most famous arena" sign..my buddy came up with that idea, i thought it was great

Instant Classic.  I friggin hate Gonzo!

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »

Kinda hard to tell probably, but the picture had a bib underneath his face that said "I Love Mommy"  with the "love" being inside of a heart...i also cut a hole in his mouth and taped a pacifier inside of it...the poster that said "I don't wanna play in carnesecca mommy!" was supposed to be a thought bubble, which is why it was usually right next to the head...i had 2 pictures of his face made and the other thought bubble said "Timeout..........oh wait"  referring to last year when he called a timeout before the 3 point shot from beyond half court went in but then didnt count..but the guys on the other side never held that one up

Sorry I could not see all the details, I am down the other end, behind the Big Bucks seats. You guys did a GREAT job, very creative and classy. Super Job!

Gonzo even mentioned the signs in his postgame!

« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:57:40 PM by redstormhoopsfan »

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
haha im proud to have been a part of those signs..its so rewarding to see the arena packed out like that after going through seasons of sitting alone in the student section...mayb we just need to make signs every game haha well try to come up with some more stuff

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »

Gonzo even mentioend the signs in his postgame!
Seton Hall Head Coach Bobby Gonzalez
On playing in Carnesecca Arena:
"Carnesecca Arena is not an easy place to play. I thought it was a very fun and tough atmosphere. It was loud and the student body is right on top of you. Playing here is different; you're not used to it in the BIG EAST."

St. John's Head Coach Roberts
On the atmosphere of the game:
"This a great place to play. It is named after a great Hall of Fame coach [Lou Carnesecca] and it should be an honor to play on this floor whenever you play here. The turn out of our fans is a great thing for our program. These student-athletes work extremely hard every day. They want to see the fruits of their labor too. Our fans were great today. They really helped us win the game tonight. They put tons of presser on Seton Hall and made it tough from them." 

Sophomore forward D.J. Kennedy
On the atmosphere of the game:
"This was a big deal for us seeing all our fans at the game. All season long we've had our fans behind us, supporting us. Hopefully, we'll have more sold out games."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:56:57 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Zags gives props to the signs
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 11:02:21 PM »
Even Zags gave you guys props:
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090222&content_id=1492352&oid=2&vkey=21

After Seton Hall coach Bobby Gonzalez complained last year that the Pirates had to play on St. John's campus instead of at the Garden, the St. John's student section taunted him Sunday with one sign that read "Welcome to the World's Most Famous Arena" and another that pictured Gonzalez with a pacifier in his mouth and a caption reading, "I don't want to play in Carnesecca, Mommy."

...Gonzalez conceded that the environment was tough for the Pirates to handle.

"It's a tough atmosphere," Gonzalez said. "This is not an easy place to play...I guess I'm getting pretty popular over here with the signs. They didn't hang me in effigy so I guess I'm doing alright."

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »
It would be nice to get Uconn in Carnesseca.  Get in Calhoun's face too.

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
It would be nice to get Uconn in Carnesseca.  Get in Calhoun's face too.

We can only dream...

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »
It's great to see my "Welcome to the World's most famous arena" sign getting so much love and press.
That was probably the funnest and loudest games ive been to in my 2 years here. It was great to have the student section packed for once... i only wish that st johns would realize what a student section does to the the atmosphere of the game and make one at MSG.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »

That's great.  I hope you guys have some fun posters made up for our NCAA Tournament games.