Dele Coker?

• 22 replies

Tha Kid

Dele Coker?
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »
Does anyone have any idea what the deal with Coker is?  Though he is still a hack machine I think he is an important piece for next season.  Was he sick/hurt, are there academic issues, or is he considering transferring?  Just wondering if it was a fluke 1 game thing or if he's going to turn into lame duck a la Larry Wright and Avery patterson the last 2 seasons.
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Dele Coker?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:29:30 PM »
I believe he was just sick for the game. I will look further into the situation.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:06:20 PM »
I already asked this question in the Forum the day of the DePaul game. Not sure if anyone responded though.

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
Would it shock anyone if he left..?

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »

Maybe the kid has a virus.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

Yea, I think people would care. This program is in a constant state of rebuilding. If players are never here long enough to be seniors, when will we ever improve?

I'm sure plenty of fans will say that he stinks, so let him walk. We all said that about Cedric Jackson, and he's turned out to be a player we've sorely missed.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

Yea, I think people would care. This program is in a constant state of rebuilding. If players are never here long enough to be seniors, when will we ever improve?

I'm sure plenty of fans will say that he stinks, so let him walk. We all said that about Cedric Jackson, and he's turned out to be a player we've sorely missed.

I agree in theory, but Coker stinks!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:45:40 PM by we are sju »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

I don't think he stinks.  I think he needs training, but he gives effort, has developed a little bit of shot blocking timing.  Someone has to work on his reaching in tendencies and jumping early tendencies.  And improve his defensive footwork.  I think he can learn those.

And he can hit a jumper, even if his post moves might not come.  He's not the quickest, but he's not a MAAC center by any means.  At 6'10" and 260, that's a skill set that's not easy to come by.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

I don't think he stinks.  I think he needs training, but he gives effort, has developed a little bit of shot blocking timing.  Someone has to work on his reaching in tendencies and jumping early tendencies.  And improve his defensive footwork.  I think he can learn those.

And he can hit a jumper, even if his post moves might not come.  He's not the quickest, but he's not a MAAC center by any means.  At 6'10" and 260, that's a skill set that's not easy to come by.

He has 68 rebounds and 67 fouls. He is always in bad position! Norm can't help Burrell, there is simply not enough time in the day to develop Coker! On a good team for a good coach, maybe something could be done with him by his senior year. For this team and this coach, you will be looking at the same guy two years from now!

Poison

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

He absolutely is a MAAC center. But that's not such an insult these days.
Look at the big man on Niagara. He doesn't try and do too much. Rebounds. Scores on put backs. If Coker just did that, he'd be an asset.

Losing him would be terrible. We'd have to start all over in the middle.
We lost 2 years waiting for him to develop.

Saying he stinks is ridiculous. Who doesn't stink on this team?

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 04:13:43 PM »
I think we put Coker in bad positions sometimes. He shouldn't come out so high on the pick and roll on defense. Allow him to stay home in the paint. If we see teams are using Dele in the high pick and roll the next time down we should switch him off.

Dele has shown a great amount of improvement this year and I think by next year he'll be a bit more ready to contribute. He has shown some flashes of potential and has put together some strings of good performances off the bench. He has an impact on the defensive end of the floor when he is in the game. He has 8 games where he has had 2 or more blocks in a game and he hasn't played more than 20 min in any of those games.

Look at his stats from this year to last year and he is better up and down the board. Sure is a small amount of minutes and 1.7 to 2.6ppg doesn't look like much but his stats per minute its a fair amount. The biggest stat difference is 13 blocks last year to 32 to this year.

Look at Arinze Onuaku's freshman year....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27188
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36554

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »

Would anyone care ;D

He absolutely is a MAAC center. But that's not such an insult these days.
Look at the big man on Niagara. He doesn't try and do too much. Rebounds. Scores on put backs. If Coker just did that, he'd be an asset.

Losing him would be terrible. We'd have to start all over in the middle.
We lost 2 years waiting for him to develop.

Saying he stinks is ridiculous. Who doesn't stink on this team?

Horne and Kennedy could play on any BE team. Those are the only two you could say that about. I am not saying they would start on most teams, but they would be in the rotation.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:15:37 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »
2.6 ppg 2.4 reb-Coker's soph stats

2.1 ppg 1.6 reb-Mohammed Diakate's soph stats

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »

In the 15 games played that year Diakate also started 9 of them. Bad comparison. Like I said the stats themselves aren't glaring for Dele but the stats per minute improvement have been. I'm also pretty sure that those minutes were logged out of conference play.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
I think we put Coker in bad positions sometimes. He shouldn't come out so high on the pick and roll on defense. Allow him to stay home in the paint. If we see teams are using Dele in the high pick and roll the next time down we should switch him off.

Dele has shown a great amount of improvement this year and I think by next year he'll be a bit more ready to contribute. He has shown some flashes of potential and has put together some strings of good performances off the bench. He has an impact on the defensive end of the floor when he is in the game. He has 8 games where he has had 2 or more blocks in a game and he hasn't played more than 20 min in any of those games.

Look at his stats from this year to last year and he is better up and down the board. Sure is a small amount of minutes and 1.7 to 2.6ppg doesn't look like much but his stats per minute its a fair amount. The biggest stat difference is 13 blocks last year to 32 to this year.

Look at Arinze Onuaku's freshman year....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=27188
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36554

Onuaku had serious talent as a freshman. You could see that.
He was raw, but the talent was there.

I think if Coker developed like that, we'd all be flat out stunned.
Coker doesn't need to be an Onuaku. An Adrian Uter would be just fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:50:40 PM by Poison »

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »
I wasn't saying Coker is the next Onuaku but even a guy like him took some time to develop. Remember he sat out his 2nd year too. Roy Hibbert, Hasheem Thabeet, Aaron Gray, etc. all big men take some time to develop.

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 04:55:55 PM »

In the 15 games played that year Diakate also started 9 of them. Bad comparison. Like I said the stats themselves aren't glaring for Dele but the stats per minute improvement have been. I'm also pretty sure that those minutes were logged out of conference play.

I used Mo, becuase that is who Coker reminds me of. He has some skills which since he has a basketball scholarship on a BE school should be a given no? Overall he is not good and since he will be going into his junior year as a reserve on a bad team, I would not expect any miracles!

Poison

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 05:06:50 PM »
I wasn't saying Coker is the next Onuaku but even a guy like him took some time to develop. Remember he sat out his 2nd year too. Roy Hibbert, Hasheem Thabeet, Aaron Gray, etc. all big men take some time to develop.

Onuaku came out of nowhere. A lot of Syracuse guys do.

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
At this point, I don't think he is bad.... but he is not good either. I think he very unpolished but has a good upside.

It is in his hands to get better this off season. He obviously needs to work on his lower body strength, post up moves and playing defense (without fouling and improve anticipating on where the ball is going). If he does, he will look alot better next year and alot of you who are bashing him might be eating your words.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:57:31 PM by Johnny4Life »