Cuse 101 St Johns 66

• 20 replies
Cuse 101 St Johns 66
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, smell that? Its the smell of the start of the Big east basketball season. And how lovely it is that we get to see Syracuse vs the Johnnies as each teams first conf. game of the season. I saw your guys' game against VT and it wasnt particuraly pretty.
Ill just give you guys a quick scouting report of us. Were young... Starting 3 freshman and 2 sophs. As you probably know our leader-devo is out for the yr with torn ACL. Our bench is pretty weak. The 2 guys who contribute the most are freshman rick jackson and JUCO kristof ongenaet. Jonny Flynn is our PG he is a freshman he has the makings to be a superstar and potential best pg in Su history. Hes smart, quick, athletic and pretty solid shooter. Scoop jardine takes the place of devo at the 2. His best attribute is his D. Not too much of a scorer, however he did put up 18 against Northeastern. Isnt very athletic and his shot is streaky. However, he has great court vision and can always find the open man. Donte greene is the most touted freshman of our freshman class. hes about 6' 9"-6'10", and is our best shooter. He has gone beyond all our expectations in his ability to shoot. Sometimes he takes questionable shots but the thing is these questionble shots have a tendency to fall. Sometimes he posts up and has a nice fad-away jumper. At this point hes too weak to play close to the basket which is his weakness. You guys will probably push him around all day down low. His D is also pretty weak but its getting better every game. Paul harris is a beast. His nickname is "Doitall" Paul because he can do it all. Basically his only weakness is shooting. To be frank he sucks at shooting. However, he has improved since last yr, when hes open he usually can knock it down. Hes a tremendous rebounder and defender which is why everyone likes him. Finally, our big man arinze onukau. As opposed to past season this season we have a center who can score. He has great hands and feet and when he gets the ball within 5-10 feet of the hoop hes very good at finishing. His weakness is hes lazy on D and any dominate big down low could probably over power him.

Re: Cuse 101 St Johns 66
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:55:02 PM »
Sorry I was not able to finish that post. Just to note we also have big man Sean Williams coming off the bench. Hes just a skinny lenghty dude who can block shots (has a 7'9" wingspan). And walk-on Justin "JT" Thomas, comes off the bench when either scoop or flynn are in foul trouble. Pretty smart PG doesnt make too many mistakes.

The loss of devodorf will greatly hurt this team. He was our leader and a very good scorer. However, I still believe we can be succesful without him. Its going to hurt us due to the short bench and lack of bodies.

I would love to st johns come to life again like they were back in the day. And i dont think theyre far off from getting there. Weds game should be interesting as all big wast games are. With that said from what i saw from the johnnies thus far is they have trouble scoring. Our d this yr has been pretty bad but has been getting alot better. If we can just contain the scorers and hopefully you guys dont shoot lights out we should be able overpower you guys offensively. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game! GO CUSE!

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
I would'nt worry about us, even if larry wright is on norm will bench him and make some stupid subs.

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:02:30 PM »
Its going to be funny cuse4life when your shitting ur pants late in the second half because the game is way to close for comfort.  Its also funny that I am a die hard st. johns fan and probably know more about Cuse than you do!  Ill be at the game and if you would like to give me that 40 point spread i would love to meet you after the game and laugh in your face and take your money.  We might not beat you but we sure as hell with give you girls a run for your money so get ready !

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:22:45 PM »
KGD, unless chris mullin and/or Ron Artest suit up i dont see this being much of a game. Ok, yes there is a chance you guys do play lights out against our lousy D and win. But our offense is just too good for most teams to stop. The only way to beat us to match our offense. And looking at the boxscore of the vtech game st. johns is not a very good offensive team.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 10:03:17 PM »
its actually 35 points cuseforlife would be spotting!

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »
we really have no chance.

are you gonna be postin during the game or r u going?

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH, smell that? Its the smell of the start of the Big east basketball season. And how lovely it is that we get to see Syracuse vs the Johnnies as each teams first conf. game of the season. I saw your guys' game against VT and it wasnt particuraly pretty.
Ill just give you guys a quick scouting report of us. Were young... Starting 3 freshman and 2 sophs. As you probably know our leader-devo is out for the yr with torn ACL. Our bench is pretty weak. The 2 guys who contribute the most are freshman rick jackson and JUCO kristof ongenaet. Jonny Flynn is our PG he is a freshman he has the makings to be a superstar and potential best pg in Su history. Hes smart, quick, athletic and pretty solid shooter. Scoop jardine takes the place of devo at the 2. His best attribute is his D. Not too much of a scorer, however he did put up 18 against Northeastern. Isnt very athletic and his shot is streaky. However, he has great court vision and can always find the open man. Donte greene is the most touted freshman of our freshman class. hes about 6' 9"-6'10", and is our best shooter. He has gone beyond all our expectations in his ability to shoot. Sometimes he takes questionable shots but the thing is these questionble shots have a tendency to fall. Sometimes he posts up and has a nice fad-away jumper. At this point hes too weak to play close to the basket which is his weakness. You guys will probably push him around all day down low. His D is also pretty weak but its getting better every game. Paul harris is a beast. His nickname is "Doitall" Paul because he can do it all. Basically his only weakness is shooting. To be frank he sucks at shooting. However, he has improved since last yr, when hes open he usually can knock it down. Hes a tremendous rebounder and defender which is why everyone likes him. Finally, our big man arinze onukau. As opposed to past season this season we have a center who can score. He has great hands and feet and when he gets the ball within 5-10 feet of the hoop hes very good at finishing. His weakness is hes lazy on D and any dominate big down low could probably over power him.

Syracuse will kill us, but they have too many injuries to make the NCAAs this year.
Paul Harris is a great rebounder, but he can't shoot. Still, I'd love to have him on my team.

kjd01067

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
Ha you Cuse fans are a joke !  Most of you didnt even know syracuse existed before Carmelo.  I will be at the game and barring an Elijah Ingrham 1-22 preformance i think we will put a great game together.  We should have been 2-0 against Cuse last year if it werent for that bogus offensive foul that gave syracuse the lead.  Get ready i smell an upset !!!

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
Ha you Cuse fans are a joke !  Most of you didnt even know syracuse existed before Carmelo.  I

KJD. . as a basketball fan that statement is ridculous..  they have been selling out the Dome for 20+ years...

Red Bruin. . Leo Rautins..   Derrick Coleman..   Steve Thompson...  Sherman Douglas. . Billy Owens...   Lawrence Moten... John Wallace..   just some of the guys Syracuse fans have been supporting before Carmelo came around..

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
kjd is starting to pick up the slack from oldred quite nicely
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »
I don't know why but i like this match up.  I'm curious to see how Norm goes about playing Greene as I think he'd be a difficult guard for JB but Mases could slow him down.  I would love to see us play that 1-3-1 a lot and vary in some other zones.  If we try to straight up man this team all game we're dead bc Flynn will toast him every possession and eventually taht will pick up fouls on everyone else.  Malik HAS to get big mins today as atleast he could contain Flynn and keep him on the outside.  Last year Mase lit it up there, so lets hope for a repeat performance.  I think a key for us is to be aggressive and get their guys in foul trouble bc they lack serious depth.

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 02:53:10 PM »
check out the preview www.johnnyjungle.com
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 02:55:47 PM »
Ha you Cuse fans are a joke !  Most of you didnt even know syracuse existed before Carmelo.  I

KJD. . as a basketball fan that statement is ridculous..  they have been selling out the Dome for 20+ years...

Red Bruin. . Leo Rautins..   Derrick Coleman..   Steve Thompson...  Sherman Douglas. . Billy Owens...   Lawrence Moten... John Wallace..   just some of the guys Syracuse fans have been supporting before Carmelo came around..

Dont forget about Jason Cipolla and that clutch jumpshot from the corner

Poison

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 03:24:43 PM »
I don't know why but i like this match up.  I'm curious to see how Norm goes about playing Greene as I think he'd be a difficult guard for JB but Mases could slow him down.  I would love to see us play that 1-3-1 a lot and vary in some other zones.  If we try to straight up man this team all game we're dead bc Flynn will toast him every possession and eventually taht will pick up fouls on everyone else.  Malik HAS to get big mins today as atleast he could contain Flynn and keep him on the outside.  Last year Mase lit it up there, so lets hope for a repeat performance.  I think a key for us is to be aggressive and get their guys in foul trouble bc they lack serious depth.

everyone is a difficult guard for JB.

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

JB has been pretty solid on D in my opinion on guys in the post.  He's not quick enough laterally though to hang with Greene in my opinion but in the post could hold his own.  I thought he was real good vs va tech even racking up 3 blocks.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »
Justin does well by not leaving his feet like Dele. He often just stands with his arms straight up with great discipline. This is one of the better parts of Justin's game however he lets guys get position on him too easily.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

HTGS_says_shutup

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »
syracuse will sit in a zone and kill us.

anyone who thinks we will win this game has brain damage.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »

JB has been pretty solid on D in my opinion on guys in the post.  He's not quick enough laterally though to hang with Greene in my opinion but in the post could hold his own.  I thought he was real good vs va tech even racking up 3 blocks.

JB is a 4. Greene is a 3 and a 4, and he's a much better 4 than JB.
Some freshman take time to develop.

kjd01067

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 02:52:53 PM »
Where is my boy Cuse4life ???  I think we covered his 35 point spread and i bet he was a little nervous towards the end too.