Landesberg wants out!

• 54 replies
Re: Landesberg wants out!
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
Dave, where would Norm find the minutes for him? We already have 7 SG,/SF's? I was talking to an assistant coach and NBA scout, they say Landesberg will either  stay at Virginia,transfer or go pro. They did not mention St. Johns

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »
Dave, where would Norm find the minutes for him? We already have 7 SG,/SF's? I was talking to an assistant coach and NBA scout, they say Landesberg will either  stay at Virginia,transfer or go pro. They did not mention St. Johns

Starting PG. Something he should have promised him from the get go.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 05:14:38 PM »

Starting PG. Something he should have promised him from the get go.

Just got off the phone with my best friend, who is an NBA GM (great guy) and he confirmed it. Landesberg will either stay at Virginia,transfer to another school or go into the NBA draft..........................
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:15:15 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
just got your joke. lol

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
somehow, i don't feel sorry for him.  besides why would he come to st john's knowing everyone wants the coach gone?

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
tough to feel sorry for someone who's getting all of their tuition paid at a very good academic school and is playing basketball in one of the best conferences in the NCAA.

that's a good point though.  why the hell would he come to a place where: there's no winning AND the head coach is on the hot seat? 

maybe hewitt gets a transfer class of fontan, landesberg and rosario. lol.  that'd be interesing (and will never happen)

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
i bet fran maccafry gets atleat an interview at Virginia, there AD now craig littlepage used to coach over him at penn
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »

Syl will NOT come to st johns. Uva has put big time money into their bball program and will PAY a good coach to come there.  Syl will be playing for a good coach in no time. Why come to st johns where 1) the team sucks and 2) he might suffer same problem with coach getting fired while there!  Syl was the acc roy he can go anywhere he wants to. I see him as a great fit at notre dame if he wants to transfer BE, play in a good system for him, and get a great education still
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 07:08:25 PM »
Since he comes from Queens and the school is in Queens maybe we can do a B.S. wavier like all those other schools and he does not have to sit out his mandatory 1 year.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:08:49 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 07:12:17 PM »
no chance in hell.

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Maybe Norm makes a short recruiting trip over to Charlottesville when they are down in Richmond.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/LEITGAT16_20090316-153204/232969/
"U.Va. players learned of Leitao's decision at a team meeting this afternoon, said Steve Landesberg, father of freshman Sylven Landesberg, the ACC rookie of the year.

"He's very upset," the elder Landesberg said of his son. "They became friends. They got close. He's close with the whole coaching staff. He likes those guys.""

I know the NBA scouts were looking at him.. However, I don't see him going pro this year. Maybe next if he improves on his numbers.

If Norm were to take that trip... he better call in a favor to Lou to have him speak with Landesberg again.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:45:41 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
See, I don't get the talk from Georgia and now Virginia about Jeff Capel.  Isn't he getting paid?  And isn't he coaching at a school that loves their athletic excellence?  Great that Capel's getting his name out there - he'll likely get a raise no matter what happens - but still not sure why folks think guys like him and Tubby are candidates.

Then again... Griffin is leaving after this year. 

But again - Oklahoma's a better job, better recent basketball tradition, no NC Schools to recruit against, and the Sooners can be Big Dog #1 or #2 in that conference more easily than Virginia can over Duke and UNC, with Wake Forest on their tail (w/r/t recent basketball success/ tradition).

Maybe Capel misses mountains.

Sometimes being the automatic #1 or #2 in your conference is not enough of a challenge for some men. Some men like to be challenged every day in their career. That goes for coaches, players, and people in every aspect of life.

I read today that he still has strong ties to Tobacco Road, and some strong recruiting ties that he feels he can utilize.

I say that if offered, he should go for it!

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 02:33:39 AM »
You can't just "turn pro."  The kid is not even on the radar of pro teams right now.  He is built like a Uconn womens player. 

This is a kid that will have to play at least three years in college to get drafted.  There are so many good guards and forwards coming into the draft this year.

Collison, Maynor, Harden, Jennings, Ear Clark, T. Williams, Budinger, Teague, Aminu, AJ Price, McNeal, Matthews, Lawson, James, Young, etc. 

Next year could be worse with Wall, Henry, Tyrek Evans, Willie Warren, Ricky Rubio, George, Ebanks, Evin Turner, Babbit, Kemba, Summers, Singler, Mills, Jrue Holiday, Daye, Ellington, Calathes!

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 03:29:13 AM »
maybe jeff capel takes the job.

I would think Anthony Grant would have to be the favorite!
Grant is a Miami native and helped Donovan out with establishing those Dade County contacts.

Tubby Smith is very likely at the top of Littlepage's list.

Tha Kid

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:51 AM »

Marillac,

Which gms have you been talking to that allow you to know he is not on nba radars?  There was an espn article a few weeks ago I posted that picked him as a potential sleeper.  I bet hed go late first round.  Smaller hs guys have been taken high without proving anything in college. As acc roy, syl IS on the radar and will get drafted if he leaves.  Itd be smart of him to stay and get stronger and higher in the draft but hed get paid if he declared, no doubt.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »

Marillac,

Which gms have you been talking to that allow you to know he is not on nba radars?  There was an espn article a few weeks ago I posted that picked him as a potential sleeper.  I bet hed go late first round.  Smaller hs guys have been taken high without proving anything in college. As acc roy, syl IS on the radar and will get drafted if he leaves.  Itd be smart of him to stay and get stronger and higher in the draft but hed get paid if he declared, no doubt.

No chance that Syl would get drafted this year.  He is not strong enough and he doesn't play defense.  If Syl wants to be a first rounder and have a realistic shot at making a roster, he will probably have to stay three or four years.  Even then there is not certainty.

Right now he is just not NBA ready.

He is extremely skilled and has good size, but he is far from a freak athlete like most of the guards and forwards in the NBA.  There is an orgy of talent at the SG/SF positions over the next few years in the draft. 

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 08:39:47 AM »

Nice of the school to pay him $2.1 million after he resigns ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3986162

This season was his first without Sean Singletary at point guard, and while Leitao said after last season that he expected to begin fully implementing his philosophy and system this year, the Cavaliers remained one of the league's worst defensive and rebounding teams.

The Cavaliers routinely trailed by double figures at halftime, even at John Paul Jones Arena, where they went 9-8, and fan interest waned as the team's difficulties continued.

The $130 million arena, opened just three years ago, seats more than 14,000 for basketball, but drew an average of just over 10,000 this season. Apathy was more apparent during Leitao's weekly hourlong radio show, which more than once attracted no callers.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »

The $130 million arena, opened just three years ago, seats more than 14,000 for basketball, but drew an average of just over 10,000 this season. Apathy was more apparent during Leitao's weekly hourlong radio show, which more than once attracted no callers.

They are drawing 10,000 fans pergame at home and the fans are considered apathetic..

Would love to hear what this guy thinks about St. John's sitaution..   

Tha Kid

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

Marillac,

No chance that Syl would get drafted this year.  He is not strong enough and he doesn't play defense.  If Syl wants to be a first rounder and have a realistic shot at making a roster, he will probably have to stay three or four years.  Even then there is not certainty.

Right now he is just not NBA ready.

He is extremely skilled and has good size, but he is far from a freak athlete like most of the guards and forwards in the NBA.  There is an orgy of talent at the SG/SF positions over the next few years in the draft.

Since when did the NBA draft on current skill and not potential?  A few the guys you mentioned as AWESOME guards or forwards will be 2nd round picks or undrafted.  You're not thinking like an NBA gm.  Some of those guys have maxed out as far as how good they will get pretty much.  You're thinking about the college game and not potential and the NBA and how  GMs draft.  Syl would def be drafted.  Some of the guys you list wouldn't.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:29:05 AM by Tha Kid »

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
"WTF!! I came to play for him, didnt think I would feel this way." Sylven Landesberg

Uh oh! Looks like there might be some trouble brewing in UVA.

Considering this was on facebook - which you didnt attribute it to - and says nothing about him wanting to transfer, this thread is kind of poorly produced, dont you think?