Norm is a fine coach

• 24 replies

gonzalo

Norm is a fine coach
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:29:52 AM »
According to President Harrington.

http://media.www.torchonline.com/media/storage/paper952/news/2009/03/18/Features/Rev-Harrington.Sits.Down.With.The.Torch.In.An.Exclusive.Interview-3675101.shtml

Q: What has been your biggest regret, or something you wish could have been done better in the last 20 years?

A: The downside, the one thing that's been a real disappointment, is obviously the basketball tradition, which has been so important to us.

The bottom line is, we made, early on, some bad decisions regarding the men's basketball team, and that's been a disappointment to a lot of people. Me too, since I've always been a huge basketball fan.

Are there external factors in it? Yeah. The recruiting has changed so much because of television, conference structure, etc. So a lot of excuses can be made, but I don't make any excuses.

Bottom line: I don't think we made good decisions regarding the men's basketball team. But, once we hit the bottom with the Pittsburgh incident and the NCAA violations that came out after that, I was determined not to have this institution be embarrassed again by that type of behavior on part of the students or anything that could be slightly questionable to the NCAA. And that became my top priority with that program. And yes, we would continue men's basketball, but it had to be done the right way.

And that's what I so appreciate Norm Roberts for. He's done it the right way. These young men are representative students of St. John's, and academically, they are very strong, much stronger than in the past. Character wise, we hear from people in different cities who meet them in hotels and such, how representative they are.
There's not a bit of NCAA questioning as far as I know of, and there better not be.

And the last piece is we are making progress each year, and I believe Norm is going to be able to bring us back to where we were.

Q: Do you feel students, fans, alumni and the media have been unfairly lambasting Norm?

A: Again, turn to the positive side of this: people still really care about St. John's basketball.

And there are people who have different levels of patience, and different levels of understanding how bad the situation was that Norm inherited. Fair, unfair, I understand why people really want us to win on a regular basis at the top immediately. I don t think anybody's more in that category than Norm Roberts.

But I've also seen what has to get done to get where we are now, and I think we've made great progress, and I have great confidence that Norm is going to be able to bring us back there. He's a fine man and a fine coach.

kob24

Re: Norm is a fine coach
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
I don't know why nobody listens to me. I kept on saying he is coming back. They will not put up the money for cal or pitino. People are living dreams. But I will say this and remember I said it. I think they are going to let his freshman class graduate with him as coach and if he hasn't won by then they will probaly let him not coach anymore. But he will probaly stay with the school in some capacity. At the end of the day he is cool as hell. He just isn't winning and that's what counts.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »
But, once we hit the bottom with the Pittsburgh incident and the NCAA violations that came out after that, I was determined not to have this institution be embarrassed again by that type of behavior on part of the students or anything that could be slightly questionable to the NCAA. And that became my top priority with that program.  

Obviously.

And yes, we would continue men's basketball, but it had to be done the right way.

Did they seriously consider folding the basketball program?

And there are people who have different levels of patience,

From those that wanted to win from day 1 to those that don't care if we ever win.

So to wrap up...Harrington is a HUGE basketball fan.  In fact he's been to at least 2 games over the last 6 years.

He doesn't care if we ever win as long as we don't go through another NCAA investigation. 

Our program almost got shut down because a few kids went to a strip club.  I mean imagine that...college kids going to a strip club...that probably has never happened before.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I seriously may need to find another team to root for. :'(

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:36:14 AM »
Holy crap kob - so you're saying he's got 2 more years at least? What if they DO go dancin his senior year, he basically gets a lifetime contract?

What we need is FH to retire and have someone else get the blood on his hands.

I agree with him being a cool dude - I'd be proud if he stayed on in another capacity - its what he's best suited for.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
From those that wanted to win from day 1 to those that don't care if we ever win.

So to wrap up...Harrington is a HUGE basketball fan.  In fact he's been to at least 2 games over the last 6 years.

He doesn't care if we ever win as long as we don't go through another NCAA investigation. 

Our program almost got shut down because a few kids went to a strip club.  I mean imagine that...college kids going to a strip club...that probably has never happened before.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I seriously may need to find another team to root for. :'(

I'm thinking the same thing, JJ.  This is rather comical!  Although, I doubt I'll start to root for another school/team, as I've been a St. John's fan for over 25 years.  But, I think I'll casually watch college basketball and continue to root against the teams that I do not care for and dislike. 

We might, as well close up shop and find something else to do, if that's how the administration feels. 

Where is the board of trustees!?!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:12:53 AM by mjdinkins »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
Team will be great in a hotel meet and greet.  Maybe they SHOULD move the program to the A-10 and be done with it. 

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »
Holy crap kob - so you're saying he's got 2 more years at least? What if they DO go dancin his senior year, he basically gets a lifetime contract?

What we need is FH to retire and have someone else get the blood on his hands.

I agree with him being a cool dude - I'd be proud if he stayed on in another capacity - its what he's best suited for.

KOB has hit on something that I am afraid of as an SJU fan.  Let's say this team makes the NIT next year (for all those who think they are making the NCAA Tournament next year, stop kidding yourself).  If Norm has managed to survive this long, there is no way Harrington and Monasch will fire him after an NIT invitation.  Which means he'll be here for an additional 7th season to see if his all senior team will be able to crack the NCAA Tournament (unlikely, but we'll see).

Now, this is where my main problem with the school begins.  Harrington and Monasch are not dealing with the fact that this school will return to being the disgrace of the Big East again in 2 years when 8 players (Kennedy, Horne, Evans, Burrell, Thomas, Coker, Wait, and Hardy) graduate.  It doesn't matter how you spin it (even if you say that Coker and Wait will transfer before then) ... the team will return to being last in the conference.  And what are we gonna do then?  Try and pick up the pieces and try again?  God almighty, it is absolutely pathetic that these administration officials can't see the writing on the wall.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
You forgot Boothe, Doody.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
I think they are going to let his freshman class graduate with him as coach and if he hasn't won by then they will probaly let him not coach anymore.

Kob... I think you nailed it.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 11:11:34 AM »

Cool to some, cold to others.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »
smh.  this is just stupid. 

this seems like he's saying fraschilla was a mistake. 

if norm stays for more than two years, st john's basketball will be finished.  if a guy has six or so freshman who stays for 4 years, the minimum should be a NCAA tournament bid.  i would NOT be impressed by that.  the bottom line is, can norm make us a big east conference contender? 

the answer is no and will always be no.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »

I agree with Choz..  Norm is not the "super nice guy" he made out to be...

A

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »

I agree with Choz..  Norm is not the "super nice guy" he made out to be...

A

Can you guys give us examples of both sides oif that, meaning cool to som-cold to thers?

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »
Cool to Syl...cold to Truck Bryant?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
Cool to Syl...cold to Truck Bryant?

Cool to guys who play hard and play defense...cold to the slackers?

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »
cool to oz and young

cold to ron naclerio?

kob24

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »
Y'all are funny

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
Y'all are funny

Cool to kob, cold to choz and pmg  ;D

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:14:16 AM »
harrington is an inept jerk who knows he'll never find a self respecting coach who'll kneel and kiss his ring the way norm does.

i'm talking about a classic abuser who needs to be surrounded by sheep.

that's the bottom line, here.  norm does the suckup.  that's enough to keep him in the good graces of this starry eyed "huge fan" who calls norm "fine".

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 02:07:45 PM »
Y'all are funny

Cool to kob, cold to choz and pmg  ;D

I could write about Norm being less than "nice" to a few people I know well but then in 2 weeks you will find a away to use it to take a few jabs at me...

You keep thinking that Norm will right the St. John's ship and I will keep thinking he will continue to sink it.

Look at this way..   if you failed at your job for 4 consectutive years like Norm, would you still be employed..?