Message boards a factor in Lance decision?

• 15 replies
Message boards a factor in Lance decision?
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »
http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/

Lastly I need to say that taking it out on me and attacking me because your team is not what you want it to be is sad. Just as folks do not have to read my blog, I could care less that they do not like me for my thoughts. But what some posters do not understand is others get turned off by what they say and do which is clear in the Lance Stephenson sweepstakes. SJU is not stupid! They are waiting until Lance decides on a college before deciding what will happen with the coaching staff. Sad that a 18 year old kid controls the destiny of grown men making alot of money. If Lance attends SJU Norm will be back. Hopefully he does but even if he does not, I hope SJU is fair. Oddly, I would bet the beating Norm takes from fans, and board posters will be part of the reasoning in where Lance decides to attend. Just as the postings from Rutgers folks will help Corey Chandler determine if he will return. And I know at least 3 super prospects who will not consider a certain school based on fans and perceptions they get from reading message boards and speaking to people they trust.

Re: Message boards a factor in Lance decision?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:37:44 PM »
ok so now it's our fault? How about the years when Norm got a free pass? Whose fault was it then? Or was that finally just his pure incompetence?

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
Even more of a reason to fire Norm.  Do you really think that the fans are going to stop talking bad about him?

kob24

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
but fellas how long have I been saying that these kids read these sites. It's the #$%^ing Internet it's not hard to find. And yes it does play a part. A huge part. We missed a recruit because of this. But to play devils advocate if u are winning they can't talk bad about u. It's a two way street. But who cares some people are gonna be mean the parents and the recruits have to understand u can't always go with the crowd.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:34 PM »
so now we can't criticize a piss poor program?  what are we supposed to do circle jerk? 

even though recruits, coaches, whoever, reads message boards.  the only factor that really matters is if the program is winning or not.  nothing more nothing less. 

kob24

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:52:42 PM »
Nah u can. U should it's ur school. But u can get mad when people say u are helping turn the kid away. Because u are. And I'm not saying u in general random. U are a prime example of a high school kid finding this site

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
i know it wasn't to me.  it was a general comment. 

here's the thing.  if we showed serious progress this year and won 18 games.  the player would see we turned it around and would naturally be more interested.  if he cared about what we say, we'd be less critical. 

it really all has to do with the coaching and if we win games or not. 

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »
i guess they dont bash on other team sites....if this is the reason why he aint wear red, hes not ready....or born ready.

Tha Kid

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »
I can't imagine message boards is why any kid - esp. a tough kid from Coney Island - does not come to St. John's.  Imagine that, "yeah Omari, I'm not coming with you to St. J because I really don't like the tone of those message board posters...they are so tough boy!"

Um, yeah, I don't think so.  And if that IS why or is why he tells anyone he's not coming, he's either a WUSS (I doubt it) or he's giving an excuse that's not Norm because he likes the man and doesnt want to be responsible for Norm getting canned, so he makes up an excuse.

Fact of the matter is, this was an easy choice with Norm at the helm.  He's got a shot to win it all at Kansas and they run a fun offense.  It's for 1 year, why not enjoy a real college campus for 1 season before NBA.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:22:56 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

kob24

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:58:08 PM »
not THE reason but it plays a part

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:31:30 AM »
not THE reason but it plays a part

fair enough --- if everyone on these boards just supported Norm, in your opinion, do you think we get him?
"I drink and I know things"

sjd8886

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
its not like we're marquette fans saying screw this school, it sucks, we only made it to the 2nd round...no ones being stupid complaining about this team and no ones attacking you...do you really think the baylor posts were an attack, or an unfair one at that?...if you make stupid posts you'll get the result of it...if the program sucks, you'll hear about it on the forums...and if lance doesnt come here and you cite us bashing this program on this site as the reason, then THAT is sad

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 02:29:43 PM »
I definately think it plays a part for sure.  Again, just another reason to fire Norm.  This will not stop.

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
I definately think it plays a part for sure.  Again, just another reason to fire Norm.  This will not stop.

So you agree that youre a part of the problem? ;)

sjd8886

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
commenting on the problem does not make you part of the problem...not talking about the problem, makes you part of the problem...marco, if you dont wanna talk about how badly we are doing, what do you want to talk about...if you want to have a picnic with norm in a dewy meadow with the sunshine shining on your faces, then go for it man...but when we lose games by 19 on average, and have an rpi of 500000000 and a losing record and set all time big east lows, then im going to comment on it thank you very much 

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 08:11:22 PM »

So you agree that youre a part of the problem? ;)

Like SJD said, commenting on the problem is not the same as not fixing it. 

I hate to talk bad about my school.  I'm driving up 13 hours just to go to the Citi Field opener.  I can't turn down a packed house for a STJ-Georgetown game at the Mets stadium. 

Almost everytime I post something bad about the school I wonder how it will affect a recruit.  It sucks, but it is going to keep happening until a change is made.