The Five Most Hated Players In the NCAA Tournament

• 20 replies
The Five Most Hated Players In the NCAA Tournament
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
http://thebiglead.com/?p=12438

1. Eric Devendorf, Syracuse. Allegedly hit a female student in face late last year, and was nearly suspended for the entire season by the University. The neck tattoos don’t help, nor does the endless preening after three-pointers. Great shooter, but his antics at the Big East tournament vaulted him to the top spot. The word “punk” definitely applies. These guys dislike him greatly.

2. Tyler Hansbrough, UNC. Hated because the media fawns over him (Jay Bilas going down on him at the end of the Louisville Elite 8 game last year may have been the tipping point), and because he seems to get all of the calls from the refs. Guilt-by-success seems to apply here.

3. Greg Paulus, Duke. Probably had this honor the last few years. He’s in the same mold as Chris Collins and Steve Wojo. Spunky, undersized, and a streaky shooter. Except he’s not nearly as good. It didn’t help that Dick Vitale was hyping this kid since his high school days (sort of like how Beano Cook hyped Ron Powlus at Notre Dame), and then he showed up on campus and basically underachieved in the first three years (3-3 in the NCAA tournament), and then lost his starting job this year. There’s no way this guy was the 11th best high school recruit in 2005.

4. Hasheem Thabeet, UConn. Talked some junk in the offseason about Harangody and Hansbrough, which didn’t endear him to many, especially since he really hadn’t accomplished anything. Then, the 7-foot-3 center backed up his play with a strong season - he was the co-Player of the Year in the Big East - but notoriously flopped head-to-head against the much shorter DeJuan Blair of Pitt. Most folks chuckle at the idea of Thabeet being considered a top three pick in the 2009 draft; people relish calling him a bust and overrated.

5. Jon Scheyer, Duke. There’s a website dedicated exclusively to the many faces he makes. If you ask Maryland fans whom they hate most, Scheyer may be No. 1 … perhaps on the level of JJ Redick.

Poison

Re: The Five Most Hated Players In the NCAA Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:10:31 PM »
Devondorf isn't good enough to be the most hated player. The guy wasn't even a 3rd teamer in the BE. You can't be the most hated player on a team coming off 2 NITs.

Scheyer is hated in Illinois. He Sylvand them.

Nationally hated? It's not a player. It's Jim Calhoun. 

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »
Edgar Sosa can be on that list

boo3

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
 Not a fan of AJ (where's my laptop)Price.  Probably more sour grapes because he didn't come to St.John's. Another one that got away.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:03:51 AM »
Not a fan of AJ (where's my laptop)Price.  Probably more sour grapes because he didn't come to St.John's. Another one that got away.
He's talented, but he's not white, foreign, or a Muslim. ;)

There's a lot of guilty, self-hating white kids showing up at college basketball games. 

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
He's talented, but he's not white, foreign, or a Muslim. ;)

There's a lot of guilty, self-hating white kids showing up at college basketball games.

wat do you mean?
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 02:12:50 AM »

wat do you mean?
There are a lot of white kids that show up at college basketball games.
They tend to hate kids that look like themselves, but instead are taller and talented at basketball.

So every year, when a few white talents get noticed by the media, they happen to get targeted by opposing fan bases and message board denizens. One year it'll be Gerry McNamara, Adam Morrison, Matt Walsh, or Jason Kapono and the next it'll be Tyler Hansbrough and Devendorf.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »

If there was any logic in Connecticut that kid would be despised throughout the entire state, but the fact that he isn't just goes to prove that the people there are the leading nice persons in the northeast.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »

wat do you mean?
There are a lot of white kids that show up at college basketball games.
They tend to hate kids that look like themselves, but instead are taller and talented at basketball.

So every year, when a few white talents get noticed by the media, they happen to get targeted by opposing fan bases and message board denizens. One year it'll be Gerry McNamara, Adam Morrison, Matt Walsh, or Jason Kapono and the next it'll be Tyler Hansbrough and Devendorf.

You may have something here. While I never felt that way personally, I have seen it in others at games.

GMac wasn't as hated, because everyone always felt that achieved it all on heart, rather than on talent.

Tyler Hansbrough is hated because people feel he's overrated. A junior, and still no ring. If he's an ambassador for the game, he should be better at it when it counts.

Right now, he's no more accomplished that Jai Lewis from George Mason.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

Are you kidding me? He is like the second or first leading scorer in ACC history, the most at Carolina, the most rebounds, foul shot attempts and his record in 4 years is pretty darn good at Carolina.

Oh yeah, he also won player of the year in both the nation and ACC before.

The only thing he hasn't done is win the championship. Not many players do that also.

So you are basically saying every SJU player is not accomplished as they have never won a championship.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:50 AM »

Tyler Hansbrough is hated because people feel he's overrated. A junior, and still no ring. If he's an ambassador for the game, he should be better at it when it counts.

Your posts get dumber by the week..

Poison

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 09:26:47 AM »

Are you kidding me? He is like the second or first leading scorer in ACC history, the most at Carolina, the most rebounds, foul shot attempts and his record in 4 years is pretty darn good at Carolina.

The only thing he hasn't done is win the championship. Not many players do that also.

So you are basically saying every SJU player is not accomplished as they have never won a championship.

For all of his fame, he's a compiler. Not a champion.
A champion should get that kind of pub every year.

Chris Mullin and Walter Berry were just as good.
They never, ever sniffed coverage like this guy.

Tyler is covered like he's the best player in the game,
but he clearly isn't or he would have won by now.

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »

You can't compare media coverage today vs. media coverage in the late 80's. If the internet was around in the 80's, Chris would have been the most over exposed player we have ever seen...

Chris had a full spread article done on him at Sports Illustrated that was about as a big a story as a college kid could get in 1984..

Poison

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »

Your posts get dumber by the week..

Deep post pmg. Dummer. Big word, too.

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »

For all of his fame, he's a compiler. Not a champion.
A champion should get that kind of pub every year.

Tyler is covered like he's the best player in the game,
but he clearly isn't or he would have won by now.

You don't think the evolution of ESPN has anything to do with that?  If Chris and Walter played in 2008 they'd be even MORE covered.

You really have no clue sometimes.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 12:44:21 PM »
Tyler is covered like he's the best player in the game.

Tyler is a great college player that puts up great numbers. I would kill for a kid to do that for SJU. You are projecting his game in the pro's and I think he is going to get smacked around but in the college game, he is great.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
4/5 of the most hated players are white.

LOL There are only like 10 white starters left in the sweet 16.
Every year people hate on successful white basketball players.  I'll never understnd.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
Yo how old is Sam Young on Pittsburgh?

gonzalo

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 02:28:31 PM »
1. Any Duke player.
2. Any Duke player.
3. Any Duke player.
4. Any Duke player.
5. Any Duke player.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 03:36:43 PM »
4/5 of the most hated players are white.

LOL There are only like 10 white starters left in the sweet 16.
Every year people hate on successful white basketball players.  I'll never understnd.
Here's why: it's not because they're successful and white, it's because they're successful, overhyped, and preening schmoes.  Hansbrough is on that list because the announcers cream over him non-stop and hyped the Psycho-T persona. 

Scheyerfaces are worthy of mockery.  Me, I wouldn't necessarily put him on the list, but he does play for Duke.

Greg Paulus, his flopping, the fact that he's not that good, and the way announcers creamed over him while anyone watching thought "this guy's not that quick" ... that makes him hated.

Devendorf just acts like a complete ass on the court.  The Syracuse fans I know hate his antics.  And that off the court stuff, whatever happened, doesn't help.

Who else is on magazine covers and headlining the news?  Would you recognize Michigan State's players by sight (black or white)?  The Villanova guys get no publicity.  Chase Budinger plays out west, so isn't a focus of widespread dislike.  Purdue's Chris Kramer and Robbie Hummel are white and integral to their team, but they don't get that kind of hate - because they don't have Hansbrough/ Paulus levels of publicity... and don't smack the floor and yell at the sky every time they make a basket in the second half like someone who hasn't been there before.

I think Griffin could be "hated" but he doesn't have the bragging personality, the media hype, or the "I just said some obnoxiousness" that Thabeet had when he started mocking Harangody (whose primal screams could get him on this list as well).

Terence Williams is worthy of being on the list, but he's not often spoken about the way the previously mentioned players are.  Greivis Vasquez, I guess, doesn't have a high enough profile; I'd put him in place of Scheyer or Thabeet.  There's no Rashad McCants this year.  Lots of non-white players get hated on, man, but none of them have the profile this year.