Sweet 16 matchups

• 19 replies
Sweet 16 matchups
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »
Some great games coming. Sean Miller goes up against his alma mater Pitt. Duke vs Nova should be a battle. Everybodys favorite Devendorf and Cuse battle Griifin and Oklahoma. UNC/Gonzaga, cant wait to see Josh Heytvelt own Hansborough again. And those are only a few games, should be a great weekend

Re: Sweet 16 matchups
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »
Some great games coming. Sean Miller goes up against his alma mater Pitt. Duke vs Nova should be a battle. Everybodys favorite Devendorf and Cuse battle Griifin and Oklahoma. UNC/Gonzaga, cant wait to see Josh Heytvelt own Hansborough again. And those are only a few games, should be a great weekend
I'm curious about Gonzaga's approach to pace as well as how they intend to defend against UNC. Few has played very up-tempo all season long, but that plays right into UNC's hands. 

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:14:35 PM »
Syracuse vs. Oklahoma should be amazing.  Could be one of the best games in recent memory.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:18:06 PM »
Syracuse vs. Oklahoma should be amazing.  Could be one of the best games in recent memory.

Im getting ahead of myself, but I wanna see Cuse/Carolina. I think Flynn would destroy Lawson

LJSA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »

Im getting ahead of myself, but I wanna see Cuse/Carolina. I think Flynn would destroy Lawson

Let's see if Flynn goes back to school if that happens.

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »

I'm more excited about Duke-Nova and UNC-Gonzaga personally.  I think Duke-Nova will be a war in the 80s or 90s.
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »

I think UConn-Memphis has to be the most anticipated matchup.

I'd rather OKla-UNC personally - I don't think Cuse has a shot at winning it all honestly.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

I think UConn-Memphis has to be the most anticipated matchup.

I'd rather OKla-UNC personally - I don't think Cuse has a shot at winning it all honestly.

UNC-Oklahoma is going to be the biggest matchup by a landslide IMO.  The best player in the nations by a mile vs. the tournament favorite. 

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49:06 PM »
I believe cuse will beat OU because Cuse comes from the best conference in the nation.  They are getting hot at the perfect time, and Jonny Flynn is amazing.  Also, everyone may talk about how the big 12 is had 9 20-win teams (or something like that) but if you look at the schedules, they all beat up on each other.  The entire big 12 is overrated.  If Dominic James had been health then Marquette would have beaten Mizzou.  I do agree that Blake Griffin is extremely talented but OU doesnt have enough depth to beat Orange.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »
I believe cuse will beat OU because Cuse comes from the best conference in the nation.  They are getting hot at the perfect time, and Jonny Flynn is amazing.  Also, everyone may talk about how the big 12 is had 9 20-win teams (or something like that) but if you look at the schedules, they all beat up on each other.  The entire big 12 is overrated.  If Dominic James had been health then Marquette would have beaten Mizzou.  I do agree that Blake Griffin is extremely talented but OU doesnt have enough depth to beat Orange.

Don't forget about Willie Warren...he might be the best freshman in the country
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 08:45:27 AM »
Gotta give it up to Fields.  Though he maybe as slow as our very own Geno Lawrence.  He's got huge cahones!

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »

Don't forget about Willie Warren...he might be the best freshman in the country

And don't forget about Austin Johnson.  The kid has ulimited range on his three and  flare for the dramatic. I've I'm up three with ten second left, he might be the last kid in the country I want taking the shot.

It will be interesting to see how OU handles the zone.  Taylor Griffin is one of the best high post passers in the country and I'm sure they'll have him positioned right near the foul line to feed the baseline areas. 

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
the Cuse folding like a cheap suit

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »
Thought the Cuse's Zone would stall OU and keep them in the game but boy was I wrong.

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »
the Cuse folding like a cheap suit

Arrogant Flynn got his comeupance.  Let's hope Sosa gets his next.  He looked like a fool posing for the camera after a layup.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »
Went to the games in Indy yesterday... Louisville fans roll even deeper than I thought they would (it is barely over an hour to Kentucky).  Cardinal fans EVERYWHERE, and they were loud.  Felt bad for Louisville... but they should try playing defense next year.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
Went to the games in Indy yesterday... Louisville fans roll even deeper than I thought they would (it is barely over an hour to Kentucky).  Cardinal fans EVERYWHERE, and they were loud.  Felt bad for Louisville... but they should try playing defense next year.

It's a quick shot up I-65 from Louisville.  They actually call the Louisville area "Kentuckiana."  It's essentially a home game.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »
Back in college, I remember Louisville kids liked to think of themselves as midwestern, not southern.

How about that Villanova finish?!  Wow.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »
Back in college, I remember Louisville kids liked to think of themselves as midwestern, not southern.

How about that Villanova finish?!  Wow.

They claim they don't have an accent. They do. 

Wow is right.  What a finish.  Nova wrecked my bracket!  What a horrible play going long-distance on the inbounds, but what a finish.  Fisher looks dumb as he'll, though.  I wouldn't let him run the show like Wright was doing at the end.

If UNC can get by OU--which is a HUGE if--I think they can put it on Nova.  They would have had a tougher matchup with Pitt for sure IMO. I just can't imagine the Nova forwards banging with Tyler, Deon, and Easy Ed Davis. 

I am so excited to see Blake and Tyler go at it.  I thought it was a huge mistake that the two didn't meet up in the regular season.  When you get two guys that great at the same exact position, you need to go out of your way and do everything to get a game. 

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
This tournament sucked as compared to recent years. Alot of blowouts, too few upsets(Siena,Cleveland St). Only the big programs advancing further