Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Cuse post game
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »
key stats that pop out to me

Cuse went to the line 9 more times than we did

We shot .375 24-64

They shot .466 27-58

We lose by 6

I don't have the rebound numbers or turnover numbers in front of me but my guess would be that we out rebounded them and we had more turnovers. I would also guess they had much more assists than we did.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
the johnnies played hard. it was one of those games though that although the score was close, it never felt like SJU was really in the game.  syracuse flicked the switch whenever they needed to.  sju got a lot of points off of broken plays and hard play. norm does a good job of getting the players to play hard and scrap.  

there was no answer to onuaku all night.  the strategy there needed to be ball denial and possibly justin coming in to front the post and have dele/tj there to give backside help.  justin was great but wasnt used properly in the 2nd half.  the cuse zone was giving up the free throw line area all game and justin was on the low block during the whole half.  if it was happening for a few minutes, then thats probably justins fault.  but it was all half and that falls on the coaching.

it seems like people are seeing the light with malik.  geno looks good against NEC teams but malik is just a better player all around.  
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:24:47 PM »
sucks we lost, but there were a lot of positives, just sucks we never could get over the edge

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »
Well another game passes bye when you have to wonder what the h@!! norm is thinking you are gonna lose larry for a while(lack of confidence) you could see he was pressing in the early part of the 2nd half with two quick 3's. Time to shorten the rotation, larry malik and rob T should get the majority of bench mins. Tired of the same ole sh*& tough loss our guys played well, good exper.!!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »
Well another game passes bye when you have to wonder what the h@!! norm is thinking you are gonna lose larry for a while(lack of confidence) you could see he was pressing in the early part of the 2nd half with two quick 3's. Time to shorten the rotation, larry malik and rob T should get the majority of bench mins. Tired of the same ole sh*& tough loss our guys played well, good exper.!!!!

Wit full respct, Robbie aint ready fo major minutes. Brotha still looks outta shape.

Y'all gotta try an get Larry, JB and Mase on the floor at the same time fo extended mins, cause they the only ones who score consistent. DJ is the perfect 6 man cause he bring intensity and can play the 2 and the 3.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kob24

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 09:55:34 PM »
that gentlemen is about 75 percent of what justin burrel can do. put him with a guard with vision( malik) and a uptempo ofense and it can be crazy. im telling yall he finished with 21 and 10 i think. with hardly any touches in the 2nd half thats special

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
that gentlemen is about 75 percent of what justin burrel can do. put him with a guard with vision( malik) and a uptempo ofense and it can be crazy. im telling yall he finished with 21 and 10 i think. with hardly any touches in the 2nd half thats special

no one is doubting JB's talent. We all know he can be the man and people want him to be to be the man. Can Justin do this consistently? His hands have appeared to be getting better and he is doing a nice job with the outlet passes(minus a few to's but hey no one is perfect). He still needs to play level headed he forced the ball on two possessions late in the game where possessions were crucial.

Also I like that JB is flashing a midrange game which has opened up his inside game.

He needs to do a better job of feeling where his defender is. He goes inside the paint where he should spin baseline and vice versa. He gets stuck on his pivot foot looking to pass the ball a few times. This stuff will come though with more time. I look forward to next game.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
Rob isn't there yet and I wouldn't expect major contributions from him at all this season. I hope he can give some positive minutes each game but don't expect more than 6-10 min a game.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
Main page updated with post game article

www.johnnyjungle.com

kjd01067

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »
Just got back from the game a little while ago.  I think there was about 10 St. Johns fans in a crowd of over 17,000.  It was an exciting game but boy I wish we could have pulled this one out.  Mase was non-existent in the first half, he wasnt looking for his shot and couldnt stop Greene to save his life.  Boothe I thought played great in the minutes he got.  He was really getting in Flynn's head and Flynn was getting pretty mad and aggravated at him.  I also thought Coker did the best job trying to guard onowaku.  Burrell looked scary good at times and if he can put together a whole game I think he can be a super star.  I have no idea whats going on with Larry, he isnt a great defensive player but he is worth the liability because of his offense.  He would make a mistake and Norm would pull him and all he would say was good job pat him on the ass and larry would walk to the bench.  This is going to be a long season, but i truly enjoy watching this team play !  Dont really want to ramble on so if anyone has any questions throw them at me.

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:54 PM »
Key stat:  Larry Wright - SEVEN MINUTES.

WHat the $&#&#& hell?  Cuse plays a zone, this should be the game Larry plays the MOST not the LEAST.  Why is he in the dog house?  I understand with al ot of talented guys Larry getting 20 mins instead of 25-30...but 7? Norm musta been smokin the good stuff before the game today, that is just unreal.

JB was a MAN-child.  21 and 12 and you can tell he is JUST getting it.  He's doing that as a frosh at the Dome.  This kid is going to be SPECIAL.  I can't wait to watch him here for the next few years!  St. John's needs to be adding #24 to their jerseys they sell next year...I think #2 is the only current players jersey they are sellin.
"I drink and I know things"

kob24

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:56 PM »
yo pmg what do u think.
oh yeah burrell took his 12-15 shot. even though some was forced towards the ending. but did u see him throw it down big africas neck. trust fellas throw some oops. if mase can get some so can he. and there were plenty of opportunities.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 11:40:47 PM »
how is larry supposed to get his confidence back when norm pulls him after one mistake? this isnt a geno-boothe situation because boothe is just a better player than geno plain and simple.  larry is a player that is not confident right now and is in a bad slump and its been contagious in his game. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 11:54:03 PM »

Wit full respct, Robbie aint ready fo major minutes. Brotha still looks outta shape.

Y'all gotta try an get Larry, JB and Mase on the floor at the same time fo extended mins, cause they the only ones who score consistent. DJ is the perfect 6 man cause he bring intensity and can play the 2 and the 3.

DJ looks nervous

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 08:23:33 AM »

DJ looks nervous

I'll take 7 pts and 8 boards and 3 dimes from him the rest of the season.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
You HAVE to wonder what in God's name Norm is thinking sometimes. What could Larry Wright possibly have done to limit his playing time to such an extent!? I just don't get it! The guy is a shooter! We don't need EL throwing up threes every chance he gets, it's becoming asinine! The PG is supposed to be the court general, not the sharpshooter. Oh well...maybe Norm secretly wants out, and he is sabotaging the team. That's the only thing I can think of! Oh yeah, what about giving Cavataio some minutes?

kjd01067

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »
You HAVE to wonder what in God's name Norm is thinking sometimes. What could Larry Wright possibly have done to limit his playing time to such an extent!? I just don't get it! The guy is a shooter! We don't need EL throwing up threes every chance he gets, it's becoming asinine! The PG is supposed to be the court general, not the sharpshooter. Oh well...maybe Norm secretly wants out, and he is sabotaging the team. That's the only thing I can think of! Oh yeah, what about giving Cavataio some minutes?

Me and my buddy were watchin Cav during warmups and boy can he shoot.  During one point of the game when it seemed we couldnt put the ball in the ocean, my buddy turned to me and asked why the hell dont they put in the white kid who can shoot.  I really think Cav could have helped against that zone, hell boothe and horne got open looks.  I know people are worried about his defense but he is a 6'5 athlete and I think he would have been alright out there.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:14:57 AM »
all I can say about JB is.....WOW!!!!

He's got to bring it every game like that.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »
let me guess what norm said in his post-game quotes:

'we played hard'
'im not going to be down on this team'
'give syracuse credit, they're a great team'
'well get better'
'this team is improving'