Anti-Norm Web site makes agenda obvious

• 20 replies

Dan

Anti-Norm Web site makes agenda obvious
« on: March 25, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »
http://media.www.torchonline.com/media/storage/paper952/news/2009/03/25/Sports/AntiNorm.Web.Site.Makes.Agenda.Obvious-3682190.shtml

The subject of Norm Robert's job security has been the focus of Red Storm message boards and blogs for some time now.

During the waning minutes of the Storm's Big East Tournament loss to Marquette, Lou Carnesecca's famed banner, boasting his 526 wins, was accompanied by an ominous chant rising from irritated fans. "Fi-re Ro-berts! Fi-re Ro-berts!" has been heard echoing through the rafters of the historic building.

The comment sections of New York tabloid online stories have turned into an outlet for Johnnies's fans to cry out for a change.

In an attempt to organize the masses, Daniel Stallone, a 20-year-old St. John's fan from Suffolk County, created FireNormNow.com, a Web site with a cause that speaks for itself.

"It's about fans getting together to say we're not pleased with the situation right now," Stallone said. "From all accounts, we think Norm is a nice guy. But he's not getting it done on the court. This is not a defamation site, but it seems his lack of success is falling on deaf ears."

FireNormNow.com is essentially a petition open to anyone who cares about Red Storm basketball. As of March 24, 387 people have signed. The site also maps out some disturbing statistics from Roberts' tenure at St. John's.

Stallone is not a self-proclaimed basketball scholar. In fact, he simply seeks to resonate what he says many fans are thinking in the first place.

"I think that anybody who is a disgruntled fan and thinks this man isn't doing a good job can make this site," Stallone said. "I'm just as qualified as anyone else. I just thought since no one else did it, maybe I can be the one to build up support for his dismissal."

The site's creator said he and his fellow supporters are sick of the excuses, whether it is injuries, an all-underclassman lineup or transfers.

Stallone said that he didn't have a problem with the program trying to clean itself up after the calamity resulting from the Mike Jarvis regime, but added that at some point, enough is enough. He suggests that the team might be worse off than ever before.

"They were a laughing stock [after Jarvis], but now they're irrelevant," he said.
Many fans' opinions may change if Lance Stephenson tries on the Red Storm uniform for a year before he turns pro, but Stephenson also has Kansas and Maryland to consider.

"It would be an indictment on the lack of success," Stallone said. "If he loses a recruit again, how can I ever trust him? He hasn't been able to build this program up to look like a winner."

Stallone wonders if the University's administration can hear the voice of the fans. His idea is to give the program's supporters the loudest voice possible so change can be achieved. For these passionate fans, apathy and boycotting games is not an option.

"I just hope all the students can get to see this," Stallone said. "They are the ones, along with the alumni, that can make something come of this."

Re: Anti-Norm Web site makes agenda obvious
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
Awesome job, Dan.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »
Well done Dan. I have signed your site and hope that many continue to sign it.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »
Awesome job, Dan.

Agreed.  Well done.

Dan

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 12:08:50 AM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:10:05 AM by Dan »

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 11:33:57 PM »
The site is well constructed. I think this carries more weight than just rants on a message board.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Dan

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:13:52 AM »
The site is well constructed. I think this carries more weight than just rants on a message board.

A professional look is always a big help.  This site here is a prime example.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »
150 signatures in the last three days.  Just when I thought it was dying down.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
I am not signing it but I love the site it is well constructed
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

Why won't you sign it?  Still not convinced ::)

No coach should be judged until his fourth recruiting class graduates, right?

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
Yea the website looks great.  People are helping spread the word.  I recently saw it on bigblueinteractive.com, a NY Giants message board.  Posting this on other Ny sports related websites will help.   

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19:05 PM »

I'll Sign only if we get a coach that is a minority
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 11:08:26 PM »
maybe we'll get jerry tarkanian...he's armenian. 

i think that qualifies him as a minority.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »

I'll Sign only if we get a coach that is a minority

Why does having a minority as a coach matter?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
Because minorities have the most experience in basketball , the more experience you have the more you can teach, the more  you can teach the better you can coach.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »
Because minorities have the most experience in basketball , the more experience you have the more you can teach, the more  you can teach the better you can coach.

You are about the dumbest mother-f*cker I've ever had the chance to listen to or read comments from. 

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »

So we'll hire a Chinese guy.  Chinese are minorities in this country, right? 

Do you think the San Diego Zoo should hire a lion to be the next lion trainer?  Who has more experience with lions than a lion itself, right? 

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »

this makes no sense at all...

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
Hey Great Website!
I signed up
Its KNIGHT time!!

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »

this makes no sense at all...

Yes I'm not sure what race has to do with anything. I'm more concerned with coaching and recruiting ability than the color of his skin. If skin color is that much of an issue tell the new coach to go tanning with Monasch.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle