CYP Tournament

• 15 replies
CYP Tournament
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:27:51 PM »
http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2009/03/25/cyp-tournament/

There's a nice, short tournament that they run in a tiny Catholic school gym in Port Chester, NY. It's usually the kickoff for AAU teams for the NY/Northern NJ area and an opportunity to watch a lot of recruits in a short period of time.

Re: CYP Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:21:33 PM »
Very nice tournament.  If anyone goes, I recommend you get there early, as the gym is TINY.  Also, make sure you eat at Hubba's in Port Chester after the games. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:22:13 PM »

CYP felt tiny when I played there in 3rd grade ha ha!  Dan, I've never experienced hubba's sober but it is fantastic if you can get a DD to drive you there.  Is it as delicious as I always vaguely remember it is?
"I drink and I know things"

kob24

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
Kob will be there

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »

CYP felt tiny when I played there in 3rd grade ha ha!  Dan, I've never experienced hubba's sober but it is fantastic if you can get a DD to drive you there.  Is it as delicious as I always vaguely remember it is?

Yup.  The chili cheese fries are my jam.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »
Omari played and very narrowly won. It looks like he's taken advantage of the weight room at South Kent. Os Cross was sitting front row with Gary Charles.

Pankey and a surprisingly motivated Henriquez played well in opposition to him.
Hassan Whiteside is an absolute steal for Marshall and Sean Kilpatrick was effective as a combo guard.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »
How'd Omari play? Last time I saw him a month ago, he looked to have put on some weight since high school (definitely wasn't all muscle). Not sure if it was just because of the shoulder but I would have thought he would have lost it by now. Hopefully gets to school in the summer, the one thing we can say is that our guys are all in good shape.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »
How'd Omari play? Last time I saw him a month ago, he looked to have put on some weight since high school (definitely wasn't all muscle). Not sure if it was just because of the shoulder but I would have thought he would have lost it by now. Hopefully gets to school in the summer, the one thing we can say is that our guys are all in good shape.
He's definitely put on weight, but his arms have more definition than ever.
It's a gym that tests a player's handle and toughness as much as any. He took the hits well and with composure, but his handle looked a little rusty. He is scheduled to play again Monday at 7:15.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
i agree, when I saw him he looked a little rusty and not as quick as we saw at st ray's. as marillac has pointed out, south kent's offense isnt helping this perception. the game i saw he literally just stood on the perimeter, occasionally flashing to the high post but not much.

any idea who he plays on monday?

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »
i agree, when I saw him he looked a little rusty and not as quick as we saw at st ray's. as marillac has pointed out, south kent's offense isnt helping this perception. the game i saw he literally just stood on the perimeter, occasionally flashing to the high post but not much.

any idea who he plays on monday?

He plays Team Frenji (Sean Kilpatrick, Sharrod Wright et al).

Gauchos squeaked by tonight. Mason was sitting next to me with a woman. He was ripping Sean Johnson, a pg from CTK, for being a ball hog.

His son, Antoine, played in the second one for the Metro Hawks. I've never seen him as vocal or angry. Sophomore Mike Taylor was the best prospect there tonight.

kob24

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:10:21 AM »
Omari played and very narrowly won. It looks like he's taken advantage of the weight room at South Kent. Os Cross was sitting front row with Gary Charles.

Hassan Whiteside is an absolute steal for Marshall and Sean Kilpatrick was effective as a combo guard.
U was there. I was sitting next to Gary and Oz the whole time. When they was arguing on the court I was the one who broke it up. Did u see deshawn wiggins play for us. He is gonna be a steal.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:37:08 AM »

U was there. I was sitting next to Gary and Oz the whole time. When they was arguing on the court I was the one who broke it up. Did u see deshawn wiggins play for us. He is gonna be a steal.
Yeah, you were the big guy.
I think y'all are going to win the tournament.

kob24

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:44 PM »
we did

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »
we did

Congratulations.
I think Antoine Mason ought to play at a mid-major.

http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2009/04/01/panthers-win-cyp/

http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com/2009/03/31/cyp-semifinals/

What a crazy game. Between the physical play, hard fouls, the coaches screaming at the refs, the coaches screaming at the scorers table, and the sense that a brawl could break out any second, it was wild nightcap.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:15:26 PM »
the journal news says mason has st john's on his list.

kob24

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 11:28:26 PM »
i dont think he is a big east player.