Big East Next Year

• 44 replies

Marillac

Re: Big East Next Year
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »
Is Nova the clear cut #1? I'm just not sure with a lot of question marks in the front court.

I'm not sure.  It's hard to name anyone a clearcut #1 when they replace all three frontcourt starters--one of them an NBA player. 

If Cuse loses all three of those kids, they will slip to the middle of the conference. 

Cincy should be disgusting next year.  Depending on how that talent fits together, they might be challenging for #1.  WV as well. 

STJ with Lance SHOULD be better than Syracuse without those threee.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
Is Nova the clear cut #1? I'm just not sure with a lot of question marks in the front court.

I'm not sure.  It's hard to name anyone a clearcut #1 when they replace all three frontcourt starters--one of them an NBA player. 

If Cuse loses all three of those kids, they will slip to the middle of the conference. 

Cincy should be disgusting next year.  Depending on how that talent fits together, they might be challenging for #1.  WV as well. 

Its very interesting year in the Big East next season because like you've mentioned some teams can make a very large jump within the standings.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »
SH and Cincy could have two of the biggest jumps in the country. 

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 04:47:57 PM »
SH and Cincy could have two of the biggest jumps in the country.

I agree Seton Hall should be a lot better next season. They play hard and play with that I don't give a shit who you are attitude.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
I guess Jardine, who is coming off an injury, will play pg for Cuse now but that's it.  I dont think they have a backup, assuming Devo stays in the draft or plays in Europe, but we have to let that play out. 

Looks like West Va and Nova are the two top teams, assuming Thabeet leaves.  After that who knows anything can happen.  I knew the Bigeast was going to be alot easier anyway, but now it looks like there are only going to be 2 maybe 3 top level teams separating themselves from everyone else from the pack. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
Cuse has Wes Johnson from - Ohio? Iowa State?  one of the states.  And Mookie Jones, along with Rautins, Rick Jackson, Onuaku... DaShonte Rile, Brandon Triche... they have a few players, they won't completely fall off. 

And I don't know that those top teams have what it takes to separate from the pack, unless Villanova really gets it together. And I think Georgetown will be much, much better at first thought.

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
Cuse has Wes Johnson from - Ohio? Iowa State?  one of the states.  And Mookie Jones, along with Rautins, Rick Jackson, Onuaku... DaShonte Rile, Brandon Triche... they have a few players, they won't completely fall off. 

And I don't know that those top teams have what it takes to separate from the pack, unless Villanova really gets it together. And I think Georgetown will be much, much better at first thought.

Cuse has Kris Joseph and James Southerland too.

Nova returns no front court players except Pena so Armwood and the other new guy will have to be very productive.  Three guard offense next year there no doubt.  I mean they have Scottie, the two Coreys, Waayns, Cheek and Taylor King.  Maybe they should go four guard.

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »

Nova returns no front court players except Pena so Armwood and the other new guy will have to be very productive.  Three guard offense next year there no doubt.  I mean they have Scottie, the two Coreys, Waayns, Cheek and Taylor King.  Maybe they should go four guard.

Nova also returns redshirt freshman Maurice Sutton. He should have benefitted from a season of strength and conditioning. Should be a pretty solid defensive shot blocker.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how King fits into that group.  At first glance, he doesn't really fit their style at all. 

They are REALLY going to miss Cunningham. 

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 09:42:03 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how King fits into that group.  At first glance, he doesn't really fit their style at all. 

They are REALLY going to miss Cunningham.

King is a black hole, does he ever pass the ball? He shoots from everywhere

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »
Another topic: on Cincy.  Apparently Sean Kilpatrick is up to 230 pounds (at 6'5")?

http://lohud.com/article/20090413/SPORTS06/904130343/-1/SPORTS

That's a lot of shooting guard...

Poison

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »

They need a point guard now. It might be a rebuilding year, but they could be strong if Onuaku and Jackson continue to improve.

Mookie Jones and Antoine Jardine return. Neither can run the point, but both can play. They add James Southeland and Brandon Triche. Two guys that will help.

Still, even with all of their question marks, they have guards that can shoot it, and big men that finish, and score consistently on just about everyone.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »
Thabeet, Johnny Flynn, Dar Tucker,Dajuan Blair,Dajuan Summers,and Earl Clark all signed with agents. Maybe a few more soon along with some great seniors all leaving the Big East. Top teams are losing a ton of talent, now we get Lance and make a move. LETS GO NORM!

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »
If this kid Jarrid Famous signs at Seton Hall does he push them closer to the top of the conference? Ive never seen him play, but would he start right away or contribute enough to make that big of a difference?

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 07:50:31 PM »
If this kid Jarrid Famous signs at Seton Hall does he push them closer to the top of the conference? Ive never seen him play, but would he start right away or contribute enough to make that big of a difference?

I have no idea if he's any good but the way Seton Hall plays defense (or doesn't play) a shot blocker could help them out a lot.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »

Garcia and Pope start for SH next year.  Famous isn't that good. 

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 02:23:21 PM »

Garcia and Pope start for SH next year.  Famous isn't that good.

That's who I have starting next year for them as well.  Famous signed with USF anyway.

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Baldi's updated prediction. Thoughts?

1) West Virginia(can Ebanks be the Big East POY)

2) Villanova

3) Cincinatti

4) Seton Hall

5)  Louisville

6) UConn

7) St. Johns

8 ) Syracuse

9) Marquette

10) Georgetown

11) Pitt

12) Notre Dame

13) Rutgers

14) Providence

15) South Florida

22) DePaul
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:19:27 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »
 I agree, Ebanks  POY next year.  he's gonna blow up next year and be a high lottery pick in the 2010 draft.

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51:28 PM »
My thoughts are that if we finish 7th in a weaker BE we miss the tourney...and norm won't get fired.
"I drink and I know things"