Geno/Malik

• 38 replies
Re: Geno/Malik
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »
Time to face the facts,we are better without geno and with mb on the floor. I respect geno for all his hustle and leadership qualities but we have to move forward and that should start now, not next season.geno can be important off thebench.

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »
Time to face the facts,we are better without geno and with mb on the floor. I respect geno for all his hustle and leadership qualities but we have to move forward and that should start now, not next season.geno can be important off thebench.

Bingo.  Geno's a warrior, but Malik should be getting the bulk of the minutes at this point.  When he comes in the game, we always stretch a lead or chomp away at theirs when we're down...

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 08:14:34 PM »
Looks like I am the only one, but I think we are better off THIS YEAR with Geno playing the bulk of the minutes. He is not great and he is not going to get better. I am also the same guy who thinks the Jets were better off THIS YEAR when Pennington played. In my opinion Malik is not phyisically or mentally ready to play the point for more then 10/12 minutes a game. I alslo agree that is the coaches fault. How did we not get a point guard in the last 3 classes? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT YEAR? I will continue to root hard for this team and coach but if we continue to lose and he does not get another BIG EAST CALIBER point guard( which does not look good) we are doomed to continue losing.

Randomhero423

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »
Looks like I am the only one, but I think we are better off THIS YEAR with Geno playing the bulk of the minutes. He is not great and he is not going to get better. I am also the same guy who thinks the Jets were better off THIS YEAR when Pennington played. In my opinion Malik is not phyisically or mentally ready to play the point for more then 10/12 minutes a game. I alslo agree that is the coaches fault. How did we not get a point guard in the last 3 classes? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT YEAR? I will continue to root hard for this team and coach but if we continue to lose and he does not get another BIG EAST CALIBER point guard( which does not look good) we are doomed to continue losing.

for winning now, maybe. but the thing is, it'll help us a lot next year if malik gets the bulk of the minutes.  he'd already be battle tested (or atleast a little bit) and hopefully gains confidence/realizes what he has to improve (i'm sure he does).

let's all be real.  we r not competing to win any championships or anything this year.  we should try to incorporate freshman for the future, just as much as trying to win the game.  (obviously try to win the game first, and play AMJR/Wright a lot.  but guys like malik should get minutes as well, as he won't hurt the team that much.)  guys like thomas (until he's healthy), cav should not play.  horne/evans should play limited minutes.

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »
Y'all best remember sometin. Coach may luv Geno, but remember he tried like mad hell to recruit ova him:

-Levance Fields.
-Dougie Wiggins
-Eugene Harvey
-Derwin Kitchen
-Patrick Beverly
-Corey Fisher
-Malcolm Grant
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kjd01067

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »

for winning now, maybe. but the thing is, it'll help us a lot next year if malik gets the bulk of the minutes.  he'd already be battle tested (or atleast a little bit) and hopefully gains confidence/realizes what he has to improve (i'm sure he does).

let's all be real.  we r not competing to win any championships or anything this year.  we should try to incorporate freshman for the future, just as much as trying to win the game.  (obviously try to win the game first, and play AMJR/Wright a lot.  but guys like malik should get minutes as well, as he won't hurt the team that much.)  guys like thomas (until he's healthy), cav should not play.  horne/evans should play limited minutes.

Why shouldnt Cav play ?  I dont understand while people hating this kid.  He is 6'5 athletic and can shoot the ball.  If he continues to sit he will never be anything more than Ricky torres.  Hey Norm give this kid a chance he can be a real zone buster !
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:26:18 AM by kjd01067 »

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »

Why shouldnt Cav play ?  I dont understand while people hating this kid.  He is 6'5 athletic and can shoot the ball.  If he continues to sit he will never be anything more than Ricky torres.  Hey Norm give this kid a chance he can be a real zone buster !

Which ever way you want to look at it he has only played one year of high level basketball...  he does have some talent but he is a little weak to play the two guard in the Big East right now...

The bigger problem, and its only because he is young, is that he can't defend yet at this level...  quick guards will blow past him....   I  would be that if he was showing an ability to defend the position in practice he would get a little time...

That all being said..  I don't think this young man had any expectations about seeing quality time this year... 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:32:18 AM by pmg911 »

pmg911

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
Y'all best remember sometin. Coach may luv Geno, but remember he tried like mad hell to recruit ova him:

-Levance Fields.
-Dougie Wiggins
-Eugene Harvey
-Derwin Kitchen
-Patrick Beverly
-Corey Fisher
-Malcolm Grant

The key word in your post Choz is TRIED..        it was more like TRIED AND FAILED TO...

***well he got Kitchen, who was not a true point guard, but lost him..  treid again and then FAILED TO get him ***

Poison

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »

-Levance Fields.
-Dougie Wiggins
-Eugene Harvey
-Derwin Kitchen
-Patrick Beverly
-Corey Fisher
-Malcolm Grant

so he can't recruit, and he can't coach.

kob24

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 11:54:31 AM »
im gonna be honest and take norm side for a minute. now all those recruits u named wanted to come to st.johns but the problem was norm wasnt WILLING to get them if u understand wink wink. he wants a clean program which there isnt anything wrong with that. but he must understand that playing by the rules dosent always work. especially in a market like new york.

Tha Kid

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »
im gonna be honest and take norm side for a minute. now all those recruits u named wanted to come to st.johns but the problem was norm wasnt WILLING to get them if u understand wink wink. he wants a clean program which there isnt anything wrong with that. but he must understand that playing by the rules dosent always work. especially in a market like new york.

KOB's right --  I don't have any info to who may or may not need a lil $omethin' extra...but some guys DEF are gettin a lil $omethin' and if Norm is clean and not giving it out, that could be a reason we lose $ome guys...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:51:28 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »

KOB's right --  I don't have any info to who may or may not need a lil $omethin' extra...but some guys DEF are gettin a lil $omethin' and if Norm is clean and not giving it out, that could be a reason we lose $ome guys...

Think y'all stretchin it.

Y'all can say that evry recruit Coach dont get is cause they gettin money or cars or IPods or whatever. Less y'all got proof it bad slightin a playa and another 'gram just cause y'all cryin ova spill milk.

Maybe Coach just got outrecruited. Maybe a playa didnt wanna take a chance. Maybe a playa just want to play for a hot 'gram Like Nova, Pitt or UConn. Think thats a mo reasonable explanation.

pmg911

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 07:04:32 PM »

Y'all can say that evry recruit Coach dont get is cause they gettin money or cars or IPods or whatever. Less y'all got proof it bad slightin a playa and another 'gram just cause y'all cryin ova spill milk.

Maybe Coach just got outrecruited. Maybe a playa didnt wanna take a chance. Maybe a playa just want to play for a hot 'gram Like Nova, Pitt or UConn. Think thats a mo reasonable explanation.

Come on Choz..  you are part of one the top AAU programs in country. .  you know how the game works..

You know kid are getting "extras". .  its not a rumor. .  its not a myth or urban legend..  its a fact...

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »
So the truth that Nova offered Corey Fisher a nice financial aid package is true ? :)

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 09:10:19 PM »
choz you make a great point about how norm was trying to recruit over geno.  geno really isnt very good at all folks and with malik at point the team is much more versatile and multi-dimensional.  

kjd, cav isnt a big east player now.  i dont know how many times youve seen him play but people say hes an "athlete" but he really is average at the big east level.  hes also not strong and other than shooting the ball (which he can be inconsistent with), he really has very little else.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »

Come on Choz..  you are part of one the top AAU programs in country. .  you know how the game works..

You know kid are getting "extras". .  its not a rumor. .  its not a myth or urban legend..  its a fact...

We dont play like that bre.
Less you got some proof I wouldnt start insultin the Gauchos that way.

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:46 PM »
So the truth that Nova offered Corey Fisher a nice financial aid package is true ? :)

Jay dont play that way.

kob24

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 01:35:04 AM »

i know which kids are getting what. hell there is a whole basketball team with sidekick 3. im not here to start any stuff. my only point im trying to make is u play the nice guy role u have to be prepared for the consequence and the same goes for the other. thisis what norm chose so he must recruit even harder than the others
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 01:39:45 AM by kob24 »

pmg911

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »

We dont play like that bre.
Less you got some proof I wouldnt start insultin the Gauchos that way.

Don't be so defensive Choz...

No where did I indicate or say that THE GAUCHOS "play like that"

I said you are around the AAU scene with The Gauchos..  and you know how it works... 

and if you are as connected as you have indicated on the board you certainly do know how the game works...