Norms Most Disgraceful Recruiting Job To Date

• 63 replies
Norms Most Disgraceful Recruiting Job To Date
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
This one takes the cake:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2009/04/26/2009-04-26_manhattan.html

A Miami-Dade CC point guard, who had offers from Florida and UConn, chose Manhattan because of NYC, and Slice took him on a tour of MSG which sealed the deal for him.

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

boo3

Re: Norms Most Disgraceful Recruiting Job To Date
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
  The article speaks for itself. Norm is incompetent both as a coach and a recruiter.  One more year of this disaster is all we can hope for now.  May it be as painless as possible, for all of our sakes. :'(

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 09:00:51 PM »
ha...good stuff norm...it'd actually make me sad if i didnt come to expect it

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 09:06:51 PM »
I think this one has to fall on the assistants.

They need to know that a kid like this has an interst in coming to NYC. If they don't get these kids to Norm he can't screw it up.

mkras99

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
This kid is a junior. You guys would be killing Norm if he brought in another junior. Slice using MSG successfully is embarrasing for us. Losing out on this kid isn't.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »
This kid is a junior. You guys would be killing Norm if he brought in another junior.

Not if he actually brought in a legitimate high-major point guard.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:49:09 PM »
This kid is a junior. You guys would be killing Norm if he brought in another junior. Slice using MSG successfully is embarrasing for us. Losing out on this kid isn't.

He holds offers from Uconn and Florida, I'm guessing he's better then Tyshawn Edmundson.
@NYsportsfan2222

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
If this kid is that good, why didnt he go play in the Atlantic 10 and at Fordham?

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 10:19:01 PM »
If this kid is that good, why didnt he go play in the Atlantic 10 and at Fordham?

cmon Baldi, are you REALLY gonna put up a fight on this one?

This is a COMPLETE epic fail by Norm and his staff.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »

I would think losing Lance is more of a failure.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
This kid is 6'4 170 lbs. Why did he leave Alabama to go to a juco? Also it says he was "involved" with UConn and Florida. Doesnt necessarily mean he was offered. I guess this kid is the reason why Rohrssen didnt take the Kentucky asst job. Is Rico better than Hardy? Maybe the kids a mental case, maybe not. The MAAC is a good conference nowadays, was ranked 12th last year I believe.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »
This kid is 6'4 170 lbs. Why did he leave Alabama to go to a juco? Also it says he was "involved" with UConn and Florida. Doesnt necessarily mean he was offered. I guess this kid is the reason why Rohrssen didnt take the Kentucky asst job. Is Rico better than Hardy? Maybe the kids a mental case, maybe not. The MAAC is a good conference nowadays, was ranked 12th last year I believe.
Isnt Hardy a 2 ? 4 2's on the roster at least and here's a 1 who cant be worse than Tyshawn who left.

Baldi dont you see a problem here ?

I'm not going to kill Norm for not getting Lance since I think he is playing the role of Lances's biatch right now since he is a loser and had no other options.

If he could have got Parrom though but ruined it because of his focusing on Lance I'm going to go nuts.

boo3

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:06:05 PM »

I would think losing Lance is more of a failure.

Would agree with you there, but honestly,  hasn't the past 5 years been a complete failure?  I don't know this player from a hole in the wall and i'm not gonna pretend i do, but when another school can use OUR home court as a recruiting tool better than our own staff,   that speaks volumes.

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »
The Rico Pickett situation grows more complicated...
Posted by Ian R. Rapoport -- Birmingham News April 08, 2008 8:48 AM
Categories: Basketball
Alabama coach Mark Gottfried and All-American point guard Ronald Steele are scheduled to meet with reporters in a few hours to discuss Ron's decision to test the NBA draft waters. He's already made the choice to enter the draft (and not sign with an agent), but now he'll tell us why. And that'll be interesting.

Picketing!
But maybe they'll both shed some more light on this odd Rico Pickett situation, too. Because man, it has gotten a little dicey. We found out yesterday Pickett intends to transfer. This comes a day after being suspended by Gottfried. Here is why (from today's article):

According to a source, Pickett missed or was late to several academic responsibilities, then would not complete the punishment Gottfried assigned him.

I'm told the issue was not grades, specifically. While he'll need to continue to work to maintain his academic eligibility, he's not ineligible right now. Instead, it's meeting academic appointments and other team-related functions that has been the problem. And this is not the first time it's been an issue.

Alabama coaches have dealt with it all season. And it's not like he's a bad guy, committing crimes and whatnot. Just doesn't always do what he has to do. But with a ton of potential, Pickett's talent made handling it worth it, they thought. And the thing is, a lot of freshmen, who come in with a ton of hype, find themselves in the same situation. They want to be the star and get upset when they aren't.

Chuck Davis, for one, was incredibly immature as a freshman, and some wondered if transferring wouldn't be the best option. Instead, the light went on and he had a great, All-SEC career.

Will it be the same for Pickett? I'm told coaches would not be against taking him back, provided he completes his assigned punishment and agrees to begin following the rules.

Anyway, on Monday morning, Rico Pickett Sr., sounded off about the UA basketball team. And it wasn't pretty. He alleged, essentially, a conspiracy. He said that Pickett's suspension was only announced because the coaches learned he wanted to transfer. A source disputed that to me, telling me that Pickett only said he would transfer after he missed that final punishment session.

This morning in The Decatur Daily, the younger Rico Pickett finally spoke.

"Nothing possibly that Coach Gottfried can talk about that can make me come back," Pickett told the paper.

I'll let you know if we hear more about it today...

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
The Rico Pickett situation grows more complicated...
Posted by Ian R. Rapoport -- Birmingham News April 08, 2008 8:48 AM
Categories: Basketball
Alabama coach Mark Gottfried and All-American point guard Ronald Steele are scheduled to meet with reporters in a few hours to discuss Ron's decision to test the NBA draft waters. He's already made the choice to enter the draft (and not sign with an agent), but now he'll tell us why. And that'll be interesting.

Picketing!
But maybe they'll both shed some more light on this odd Rico Pickett situation, too. Because man, it has gotten a little dicey. We found out yesterday Pickett intends to transfer. This comes a day after being suspended by Gottfried. Here is why (from today's article):

According to a source, Pickett missed or was late to several academic responsibilities, then would not complete the punishment Gottfried assigned him.

I'm told the issue was not grades, specifically. While he'll need to continue to work to maintain his academic eligibility, he's not ineligible right now. Instead, it's meeting academic appointments and other team-related functions that has been the problem. And this is not the first time it's been an issue.

Alabama coaches have dealt with it all season. And it's not like he's a bad guy, committing crimes and whatnot. Just doesn't always do what he has to do. But with a ton of potential, Pickett's talent made handling it worth it, they thought. And the thing is, a lot of freshmen, who come in with a ton of hype, find themselves in the same situation. They want to be the star and get upset when they aren't.

Chuck Davis, for one, was incredibly immature as a freshman, and some wondered if transferring wouldn't be the best option. Instead, the light went on and he had a great, All-SEC career.

Will it be the same for Pickett? I'm told coaches would not be against taking him back, provided he completes his assigned punishment and agrees to begin following the rules.

Anyway, on Monday morning, Rico Pickett Sr., sounded off about the UA basketball team. And it wasn't pretty. He alleged, essentially, a conspiracy. He said that Pickett's suspension was only announced because the coaches learned he wanted to transfer. A source disputed that to me, telling me that Pickett only said he would transfer after he missed that final punishment session.

This morning in The Decatur Daily, the younger Rico Pickett finally spoke.

"Nothing possibly that Coach Gottfried can talk about that can make me come back," Pickett told the paper.

I'll let you know if we hear more about it today...

Lance was accused of harassing a female.  St. John's is recruiting him.  Rob Thomas was illiterate until part-way through his junior year in HS.  St. John' took him.

You have to take chances on questionable kids sometimes. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=rivals-287916

He was down to Florida and UConn and was also considering LSU and Tennessee, so I think it's safe to assume the offers were on the table.

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 11:37:34 PM »
Is Pickett in the same class talent wise as Lance? I dont know. But if youre going to take a chance in a kid, I think it should be a local who is the NY scoring leader with a load of talent. Thats just me.As for Rob Thomas, I think there is a difference between being illiterate and just defiant,lazy and not following team rules.
Pickett might be talented, but only time will tell how he fits in at Manhattan. This sounds alot like the Syracuse transfer to Iona a few years back. Deshaun Williams was not good for Ruland or team chemistry. Sometimes coaches hit the panic button and take on thetalented problem child. Im not saying this is the caase, but it sounds very similar to me
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:43:19 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
Tell that to Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl and Trent Johnson

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 12:05:02 AM »
Tell that to Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan, Bruce Pearl and Trent Johnson

I dont think Calhoun or Pearl need to be reminded how questionable characters can help or hurt a program.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
Is Pickett in the same class talent wise as Lance? I dont know. But if youre going to take a chance in a kid, I think it should be a local who is the NY scoring leader with a load of talent. Thats just me.As for Rob Thomas, I think there is a difference between being illiterate and just defiant,lazy and not following team rules.
Pickett might be talented, but only time will tell how he fits in at Manhattan. This sounds alot like the Syracuse transfer to Iona a few years back. Deshaun Williams was not good for Ruland or team chemistry. Sometimes coaches hit the panic button and take on thetalented problem child. Im not saying this is the caase, but it sounds very similar to me

but thats not the point of the story, whether the kid is a fit, or the kid has a troubled past.

The point is, that this is another disgrace in the long list of failures under the norm roberts tenure.
The point is, a 4 star juco player chooses a hole in the wall mid-major conference school, right in our backyard.

Not to mention he was wowed by nyc and the garden. hmm the garden, thats our "home" court.

So to say that something like this is more embarassing that lance, i would say yes, it is.

If, or more properly, when lance chooses another school, its going to be a major D1 school. Not some mid-major.

So Norm cant get the big talent, and apparently he cant even 4 star recruits wowed by Manhattan college. [becuase he doesn't make an effort]

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »

but thats not the point of the story, whether the kid is a fit, or the kid has a troubled past.

The point is, that this is another disgrace in the long list of failures under the norm roberts tenure.
The point is, a 4 star juco player chooses a hole in the wall mid-major conference school, right in our backyard.

Not to mention he was wowed by nyc and the garden. hmm the garden, thats our "home" court.

So to say that something like this is more embarassing that lance, i would say yes, it is.

If, or more properly, when lance chooses another school, its going to be a major D1 school. Not some mid-major.

So Norm cant get the big talent, and apparently he cant even 4 star recruits wowed by Manhattan college. [becuase he doesn't make an effort]

St Johns has gotten burned by taking questionable kids in the past. This is why Norm was hired, to clean things up-I think that is more important to the decision makers rather than winning games at this point