NY Daily News: Lance KO's SJU

• 43 replies
NY Daily News: Lance KO's SJU
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »
By Mark Lelinwalla, Roger Rubin, and Ian Begley

Lincoln HS standout Lance Stephenson has been doing the recruiting dance with St. John's for more than a year.  Not any more.

According to sources on both sides, the odds are virtually nil that the 6-6 guard from Coney Island will join the Red Storm.  And sources say ditto for Maryland, another college heavily recruiting Stephenson.

"At this point (St. John's is) out," a source told the Daily News.  "They're not a priority for us.  Maryland coach (Gary Williams) embraced Lance, but for some reason that wasn't the right move."

According to a source with knowledge of St. John's recruiting strategy, coach Norm Roberts and his staff have waited patiently but time is growing short.  They still want Stephenson but are now fearful that waiting much longer means missing out on others.  The Johnnies got a commitment from point guard and Queens product Malik Stith yesterday.

Last week, Kansas coach Bill Self preferred a commitment from Xavier Henry, ESPN's No. 1 ranked player, over Stephenson.

That leaves Arizona, Memphis and possibly Kentucky as possible destinations for Stephenson.

Concerns about Stephenson's future are not limited to basketball.

He has a court case scheduled for May 19 at King County Criminal Court in Brooklyn, stemming from an alleged incident at Lincoln HS, in which a 17-year-old girl claims he groped her on Oct. 3 of last year.  Stephenson's lawyer, Alberto Ebanks, has maintained his client's innocence throughout.

boo3

Re: NY Daily News: Lance KO's SJU
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
  This is great news!  This means no  NCAA  this year,  this means no Norm the next year.  This kid played us like a fiddle.  One more year of this crap!  Thank heavens.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »
poorly produced article. It took 3 guys to write this?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 09:06:14 AM »

poorly produced because it took 3 guys to write? or poorly produced because the information is not legit.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:40:51 AM »
If a by-line contains 3 names, it doesn't necessarily mean that all 3 wrote it, but all 3 had some part in either writing or getting the information.  If one wrote it but the other 2 obtained the scoop, that means all 3 are but on the by-line.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »

Dave
I think you should take the Lance thing down and put up some other guy that won't come here instead ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
i hope this is not true...because then this would be the biggest joke ever...smh

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »

Dave
I think you should take the Lance thing down and put up some other guy that won't come here instead ;)

We might as well put up a picture of LeBron James.  At least then the false hope will brings thoughts of NCAA title!
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »

Dave

We might as well put up a picture of LeBron James.  At least then the false hope will brings thoughts of NCAA title!

I was thinking of someone more realistic like Captain Crunch or the Easter Bunny!

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »

Dave

I was thinking of someone more realistic like Captain Crunch or the Easter Bunny!

How bout some random 1-star recruit that no one has heard of and everyone thinks is gonna be the next Chris Mullin!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:37:09 PM by Mparty7441 »

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »

Dave

How bout some random 1-star recruit that no one has heard of and everything thinks is gonna be the next Chris Mullin!

Only Dave and Norm think that ;D
P.S-MULLIN ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:58:33 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:01:31 AM »
I am not that disappointed that Lance has eliminated us. There was a part of me that really wanted Lance so we could finally say we landed the big fish in NYC, but there was a big part of me that felt Lance was the wrong fish.

It is time to move on. We have a solid recruiting class coming in with all of our team coming back.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 11:02:52 AM by Red2395 »

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »

Dave

How bout some random 1-star recruit that no one has heard of and everything thinks is gonna be the next Chris Mullin!

P.S-MULLIN ;)

Pshhh, gimme a break. I'm only 20. I wasnt even alive when he played on SJU! lol.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »

Dave

P.S-MULLIN ;)

Pshhh, gimme a break. I'm only 20. I wasnt even alive when he played on SJU! lol.

No problem.
P.S We used to win games, go to the NCAA tourney,send kids to the NBA and even run some plays. Sorry you missed it :(

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 11:16:55 AM »
The thing St. John's basketball is most well known for now is prob producing Ron Artest...who is most well known for one of the craziest NBA brawls ever.  What a legacy we are leading.  Thanks FH.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »

You can bet, it'll be some random 1 or 2-star recruit that none of us has ever heard of.  And, we'll all scramble to "Google" this kid and see what he's done during the season.  A few of us will convince ourselves that this kid can help us and we'll continue to psyche ourselves out 'til the beginning of the season.

Once, we all find out the kid can't hack it.....  We'll be ticked and the kid will eventually transfer at the end of the season.  Par for the course.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »
The thing St. John's basketball is most well known for now is prob producing Ron Artest...who is most well known for one of the craziest NBA brawls ever.  What a legacy we are leading.  Thanks FH.

Jayson Williams isnt helping things either

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 12:59:57 PM »
Still waiting to see Lance put on another hat other then STJ.

pmg911

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »

Dave

P.S-MULLIN ;)

gimme a break..   how about knowing how to spell the name of the school's greatest player...

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »

Dave

P.S-MULLIN ;)

gimme a break..   how about knowing how to spell the name of the school's greatest player...

someone's a litter bitter...jeez dude, calm down. It's just a name and it was one letter. At least I know who he is and I didn't spell his name mellan or some shit like that.