ST JOHNS VS GEORGETOWN

• 15 replies
ST JOHNS VS GEORGETOWN
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
Do we have 5 guys that would give these guys a game? Mullin,Berry,Sealy,Artest and Mark Jackson? Is that our best 5?

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/features/top100.htm

1. Patrick Ewing (1981-85) 
    2. Eric Floyd (1978-82) 
    3. Reggie Williams (1983-87) 
    4. Alonzo Mourning (1988-92) 
    5. Allen Iverson (1994-96) 

pmg911

Re: ST JOHNS VS GEORGETOWN
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
are we saying in college or as pro's..

in college, that team beats the SJU guys you mentioned      easily...

Imagine Mark Jackson trying to cover AI while he was in college....

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »

Ya, stick with the college. Iverson would kill Jackson, also St Johns would get destroyed down low. Maybe SJU would be better off with Hatten?

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:05:54 AM »

Iverson and Jackson are opposites.  Iverson couldn't even get out of the Sweet 16 with a LOADED G'town team that included future pros Jerome Williams and Othella Harrington up front.  They also had the scoring machne Victor Page who left eary for the NBA (mistake).

Iverson is an amazing talent, but he doesn't have 1/1000th of the leadership or winning qualities that Mark Jackson has. 

I think St. John's wins with Jackson right before he turned pro:

Wennington
Berry
Artest/Sealy
Mullin
Jackson

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:14:51 AM »
Sleepy Floyd was a lil bit before my time,in college anyway, but looking at his numbers-he had a great career. Would Sealy-Floyd even out? Was Floyd a better college player than Sealy?

boo3

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 11:23:02 AM »
Sleepy Floyd was a lil bit before my time,in college anyway, but looking at his numbers-he had a great career. Would Sealy-Floyd even out? Was Floyd a better college player than Sealy?

Hard to compare,  Floyd was more of a point if i remember correctly,  but he could also score the rock.  I think Floyd was better,  not by much,  he led his teams deep into the tournament more than once.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
Just goin on they college career...

Sleepy was a small 2. Chris'd be shootin over him 24/7.

Say what you want when he was in the pros, but Jax was BE defensive playa of the year. Aint no joke.

Zo was a force when he wudn't hurt. But even he wouldn't be able to stop the Truth from scorin. No human bein could.

Malik and Reggie Will had similar bodies and games.

Ewing'd kill any center so that's that.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:27:40 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:38:40 PM »

Say what you want when he was in the pros, but Jax was BE defensive playa of the year. Aint no joke.

Zo was a force when he wudn't hurt. But even he wouldn't be able to stop the Truth from scorin. No human bein could.

My biggest concern would be Ewing.  I don't think Zo and Ewing would play well on the floor together.  That two-center look almost never works.

I think Jayson Williams, Walter Berry, and Wennington are more than enough not let them kill us up front.

I think the St. John's team just fits better together.  Iverson and Ewing are not winners or team players.  Jackson, Mulin, Artest, etc are. 

If they run out with Iverson at point, they've already lost.

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »

My biggest concern would be Ewing.  I don't think Zo and Ewing would play well on the floor together.  That two-center look almost never works.

I think Jayson Williams, Walter Berry, and Wennington are more than enough not let them kill us up front.

I think the St. John's team just fits better together.  Iverson and Ewing are not winners or team players.  Jackson, Mulin, Artest, etc are. 

How can you say Ewing is not a winner and Mullin,Artest and Jackson are?

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

Because Ewing never played to his ability--which is much better than the three STJ players you mentioned.  No excuse for him to not win that 85 championship game.  One of the biggest chokes in sports history.

Also, remember the Knicks years?  How does he not win one title?  He went head to head with Hakeem and lost.  He didn't even make it the other year Hakeem's rockets won it.

Artest led his team to the Elite 8 as a soph.  We were one shot from the Final Four.  I think we win it all with if he stays his junior year.  Also, look at what he is doing in the NBA. No Yao or McGrady and his team wins.  He doesn't even have to score to help (10 rebounds, six assists last night).  He is also known as one of the most relentless players and best defenders of this generation.

As for Jackson, the dude was just always around winning teams.  And he was the prototypical PG and team leader.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »

Because Ewing never played to his ability--which is much better than the three STJ players you mentioned.  No excuse for him to not win that 85 championship game.  One of the biggest chokes in sports history.

Also, remember the Knicks years?  How does he not win one title?  He went head to head with Hakeem and lost.  He didn't even make it the other year Hakeem's rockets won it.

Artest led his team to the Elite 8 as a soph.  We were one shot from the Final Four.  I think we win it all with if he stays his junior year.  Also, look at what he is doing in the NBA. No Yao or McGrady and his team wins.  He doesn't even have to score to help (10 rebounds, six assists last night).  He is also known as one of the most relentless players and best defenders of this generation.

As for Jackson, the dude was just always around winning teams.  And he was the prototypical PG and team leader.

Ewing has a National Championship, St Johns has none

gonzalo

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »

Mark Jackson was the Big East Defensive Player of the Year in 1987.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 02:12:31 PM »
what about Sonny Dove? 
Tony Jackson?
Jayson Williams to play center?

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
what about Sonny Dove? 
Tony Jackson?

They can counter with Mutumbo

Poison

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
what about Sonny Dove? 
Tony Jackson?

They can counter with Mutumbo

Let them, we'll have Shawnelle Scott there to box him out with one leg

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 03:24:24 PM »

Are you joking Marillac?  Do you realize how biased you are?  You say "Jackson, the dude was just always around winning teams."  When in the WORLD was Ewing not around a winning team?  Ewing has 2 Olympic Golds, a National title, and a NBA finals appearance to his resume.  Was he outplayed by Hakeem? Absolutely - he was outplayed by another one of the greatest centers of all time.  How is he not a winner?

Mark NEVER made a title game at any level.  He was a winner and def helped the teams he was on - but to say he was a winner and Ewing WASN'T is just plain idiotic.

Artest has DESTROYED just as many teams as he has helped.  I don't consider it a given we win with him back bc who the hell knows what could have happened.  I love Ron and Mark but to say they are more "winners" than Ewing - who I despise - is just ridiculous.
"I drink and I know things"