Looking Back: in-game coaching

• 12 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Looking Back: in-game coaching
« on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »
Of the pre-Norm coaches (Mike Jarvis, Fran Fraschilla, Mahoney, Carnesecca), who was the best in-game coach (in your opinion, of course)?  Feel free to talk about how you measure a good in-game coach. 

Marillac

Re: Looking Back: in-game coaching
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:23:23 PM »
I'd go with Jarvis.  We all got on him for the over-use of the "weave" (something every coach uses to a certain degree), but
he had us a shot away from the Final Four without a big man or a senior starter (after Grant got hurt).

His teams passed the ball so well and I was always impressed with the effort on the glass and defensively.

He made the tournament and won an NIT with a team that is no better than what Norm has had + Hatten.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
Would also like to add that Jarvis was great with substitutions and sub-patterns. Curtis Johnson coming in when we were
getting killed (ND?) and turning the game around was genius.  It woke the crowd up and was probably literally the only thing
that would have won us the game.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
Glad you posted, Marillac - I knew you'd have an opinion.  Personally, I feel the same way.  Jarvis was a crap recruiter, not a great people person, and brought in a few guys who seemed not to give a hot damn, but that NIT team (and that win against Duke) were pretty damned good coaching efforts. 

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
C'mon now.
J's philosphy wit the NIT team was to give the ball to Hatten and let him chuck.
They is a difference between a no-hit wonder and a one-run punk.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »
Maybe I was so floored that they could play like they had a plan for once at the end of the year... b/c they were unbalanced and God-awful for most of the rest of the year.  How does anyone let a freshman go 3-22?  My jaw was on the floor the whole game... they had no plan.  But they learned how to ride Hatten by the end of the year and get him in positions to really carry the team.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
C'mon now.
J's philosphy wit the NIT team was to give the ball to Hatten and let him chuck.
They is a difference between a no-hit wonder and a one-run punk.

Those Hatten teams were no better than what we currently have on our roster minus Hatten.  I think we all just took for granted being a good team under Jarvis.  Nobody thought we'd see these depths.  Those two years with Hatten would be the same as STJ being WV this year.  Think how far away we are from that.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
Coach C get a lotta heat from some y'all, and he may not be the best tacician like Coach Knihgtm but I take him anyday of the week witout even thinkin bout it. Those teams knew how to play. They knew how to win.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:02:13 PM »
you have to go with looie's body of work.  never missed a post season.

no...he wasn't a genius and he couldn't win the biggest ones...

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 11:39:04 AM »

Overall, I'd agree with you and Choz, but in-game alone I take Jarvis. 

Jarvis was his own worst enemy. He could have had St. John's up there with Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Its too bad Fran was NUTS, he might have been  1 of the best to coach at St Johns

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 03:16:36 PM »

Overall, I'd agree with you and Choz, but in-game alone I take Jarvis. 

Jarvis was his own worst enemy. He could have had St. John's up there with Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.

EASILY Coach C.  Jarvis?  Jarvis' team did the weave and looked lost lots of times.  He used Fran;s players and great OUT Of game coaching.  I have no doubt his practices were run very well and he got them passing well, being unselfish, etc.  But in general he just let them play - he sat on the sidelines and stared into blank space.  The biggest joke I've heard is that the Hatten team was well coached!  Norm could have coached the Hatten team and they would have done the SAME thing - Hatten was special and he got us where we did.  Giving any credit of that to Jarvis is diminishing what Hatten did.  Jarvis was a bum at that point and did NOTHING and looked totally lackadaiscal.

It's Coach C and a whole lotta nothin.
"I drink and I know things"

sjd8886

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:18 AM »
jarvis