How does roster depth work out?

• 29 replies
How does roster depth work out?
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »
Now I'm not starting this thread to debate what our depth chart will look like because I think right now its too early to debate that but rather how do you think having such similar talent work out?

From our best SG to our worst SG I don't think the talent drop off is drastic and arguably you can make a case for minutes for everyone.

Does the roster work itself out as better competition?

Will each player elevate their level of intensity feeling the heat of one another?

Can they thrive off of friendly competition for playing time?

Will it be easier for players to fall into roles and offensive/defensive schemes due to the fact we have more bullets in the gun?

Will we see an increase in efficiency in reduced minutes for everyone? (better shot selection, less fouls due to fatigue, less turnovers, better rebounding rates, etc.)

This thread is not geared to determining how many minutes each player will receive or who will play over who.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: How does roster depth work out?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:38:05 AM »
while some players might be unsatisfied with playing time, thats bound to happen on most teams.

ive talked with dwight hardy, paris horne and omari, and the three of them seem to understand to level of competetion at their position. im sure it is bound to raise the level of competetivness next season.

also the amount of depth is going to translate into games. when one guard falls into a shooting slump and is getting locked down defensively, another guard will be able to find success. likewise when one of the guards is struggling defensivly, an other might be able to fill in better.

i expect a lot of these players to provide a solid spark off the bench. i also expect the starting 2/3 spots to change a few times throughout the season.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 01:21:43 AM »
while some players might be unsatisfied with playing time, thats bound to happen on most teams.

ive talked with dwight hardy, paris horne and omari, and the three of them seem to understand to level of competetion at their position. im sure it is bound to raise the level of competetivness next season.

also the amount of depth is going to translate into games. when one guard falls into a shooting slump and is getting locked down defensively, another guard will be able to find success. likewise when one of the guards is struggling defensivly, an other might be able to fill in better.

i expect a lot of these players to provide a solid spark off the bench. i also expect the starting 2/3 spots to change a few times throughout the season.

When and where did you talk to all of these players?

kob24

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
I will say this I think some of the players we have can play 1-3 different positions. If u are creative enough this can work out beautifully.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:45:58 AM »
I will say this I think some of the players we have can play 1-3 different positions. If u are creative enough this can work out beautifully.

Problem is,   is this staff creative enough?   Unfortunatley the last 5 years has made me a "glass half empty type of guy".    I can see it becoming a complete trainwreck with multiple unhappy players.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 08:49:37 AM »
Now I'm not starting this thread to debate what our depth chart will look like because I think right now its too early to debate that but rather how do you think having such similar talent work out?

From our best SG to our worst SG I don't think the talent drop off is drastic and arguably you can make a case for minutes for everyone.

Does the roster work itself out as better competition?

Will each player elevate their level of intensity feeling the heat of one another?

Can they thrive off of friendly competition for playing time?

Will it be easier for players to fall into roles and offensive/defensive schemes due to the fact we have more bullets in the gun?

Will we see an increase in efficiency in reduced minutes for everyone? (better shot selection, less fouls due to fatigue, less turnovers, better rebounding rates, etc.)

This thread is not geared to determining how many minutes each player will receive or who will play over who.

The real question is are we finally prepared to deal with the unexpected injury? Because it isn't a question of if, just when with SJU.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
i make a living in hs/college bball, so i talk to guys from time to time.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:33:36 PM »
Excellent point..........the staff should look at some film of how Jay Wright puts together different combinations and substitutes with a variety of players.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
How do you guys think we match up in practice?

Do some additions to the team push current guys in the roster more? Or do our current guys push the new guys to be better?

Do you see any of the new guys working particularly well with any of our current guys?

Are the new guys good change of speed from the current guys? 

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 01:54:12 PM »
Norm has always had this dream of running out 10 guys.  He has been quoted saying such.  Some of the best teams only play eight
players and Norm has to get his roster down to that.  Q HAS TO be redshirted IMO.  It's a total loss of a year of eligibility for him.  Coker has raw size and blocks shots.  We'll need that. 

And, Dave, there is no such thing as friendly competiton when it comes to minutes and playing time.  It will tear up the best of friends.

sjd8886

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 01:56:59 PM »

Do some additions to the team push current guys in the roster more? Or do our current guys push the new guys to be better?

Do you see any of the new guys working particularly well with any of our current guys?

overall, it looks as if the talent level across our team is somewhat even with the diff players for each position...i dont think anyone is cruising through this offseason bc of it, which will breed success through the summer and throughout the year...no starting spot is guaranteed in my opinion, so it will def be interesting to see where things end up in november

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 02:07:26 PM »

overall, it looks as if the talent level across our team is somewhat even with the diff players for each position...i dont think anyone is cruising through this offseason bc of it, which will breed success through the summer and throughout the year...no starting spot is guaranteed in my opinion, so it will def be interesting to see where things end up in november

I think Evans has a starting spot locked up

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »

I was going to say the same thing.  Nobody else rebounds like him except DJ who is a PF at best. 

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 02:22:31 PM »

I was going to say the same thing.  Nobody else rebounds like him except DJ who is a PF at best.

Ive taught you well my young little one. Your basketball IQ is starting to come around marillac. Keep up the good work, someday you could be mentioned with some of the greats like Baldi

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
wow doing this i relized how deep we r guna b!...q should deff b redshited i think coker will get no burn if are coaches work this the rite way we could have a real dangerous team..
Not neccesarily in any order
pg: malik boothe, stith, q (idk about hardy or omari) herd browlee can play pg also?
sg: horne, kennedy, browlee, omari, hardy, q
sf: mase, browlee, omari, kennedy, hardy, q (if u wanna go big thomas)
pf: burrell, evans, thomas, browlee, kennedy, coker
c:  evans, burrell, thomas, coker

Poison

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »

In practice we have appropriate match ups.

Evans on Coker. Burrell on Thomas. DJ on Mase.
Horne on Hardy. Boothe on Stith.

Lawrence is a freshman, and I have not seen Brownlee.

Q Roberts might not play at all. But you never know. We always get hurt. That's the one thing you can count on.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »

Ive taught you well my young little one. Your basketball IQ is starting to come around marillac. Keep up the good work, someday you could be mentioned with some of the greats like Baldi

Yeah, just the other day I heard a top five greatest of all-time and it was Elton John, Marco Baldi (the poster), Liberacci, Clay Aiken, and the crying Brittney Spears youtube defender.  I can't recall what the category was, though ;)

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »
Getting back to topic, I think the responses over in the X factor thread apply a little to what is being discussed here. We've named a few diffferent X factors and that goes directly to the fact this team is balanced in terms of our best SG to our worst SG isn't far off. Same applies to all positions.

I also think we have players who offer some different skills sets in terms of slashers/shooters or different specialties. I think this team has some good change of pace players that we can really get very creative when making lineups.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Every team has a few players that don't play.  Some will be upset especially since so many of our players are in the same class and wont see the light at the end of the tunnel.  But it is what it is.  If you can't beat the other guy out continue to work hard in case the other guy slumps or gets hurt.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kob24

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
only two peope have starting spots and that is dj and mason