Who is St. John's X Factor this year?

• 29 replies

Tha Kid

Who is St. John's X Factor this year?
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:31:59 PM »
Who this year does our record hinge MOST upon?  Who REALISTICALLY stepping up can raise us to the next level or not performing will leave us mediocre?

I think it's between Burrell, Boothe, and Mason and I'm going easily with JUSTIN.

I didn't put up Paris or DJ because I dont see them doing much different than last year - they are what we need them to be, we need an X factor to step up
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

Re: Who is St. John's X Factor this year?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »
Who this year does our record hinge MOST upon?  Who REALISTICALLY stepping up can raise us to the next level or not performing will leave us mediocre?

I think it's between Burrell, Boothe, and Mason and I'm going easily with JUSTIN.

I didn't put up Paris or DJ because I dont see them doing much different than last year - they are what we need them to be, we need an X factor to step up

Brownlee...hands down. 

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:41:37 PM »
watch for rob thomas to be a major x-factor for us...so glimpses of his potential towards the end of last year...hopefully he can continue to step it up this season..we need depth at the slot anyways.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »
I'm going to have to say Anthony Mason Jr.

There are so many questions surrounding him. Where he fits in? What does he give us? Knock down spot up shooting? Will he board on both ends of the floor? Will he learn to take complimentary role, get into open spots, know when to take it inside?

I think he can be so valuable to us but I also think he can hurt us as well. Mason in small doses can be really valuable. He is a tough cover because he has deep range and he is just so long. Will Norm run different sets of offense for when different guys are on the floors and use each player for their strengths.

I think the less Mason puts the ball on the floor the better player he is. This is not to say I don't want him ever to put the ball on the floor but I'd like to see him get the ball on dribble and kick, I'd also like to run ALOT of high pick and rolls with him. He can turn and shoot, roll and dunk, and I think Mason is an underrated passer in terms of finding the open man.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:14:10 AM »
watch for rob thomas to be a major x-factor for us...so glimpses of his potential towards the end of last year...hopefully he can continue to step it up this season..we need depth at the slot anyways.

He doesn't fit in with the talent that we have and the type of game we need to be playing to get the best results.   If Thomas is seeing minutes, we are not maximizing our potential.  It essentially means that Burrell and/or Brownlee are not performing up to par. 

We have the horses to run.  Rob Thomas has more rols than the hot dog stand at MSG. 

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:10 AM »
theres not one single "x-factor" next year. we have a few players that fall under that category.

burrell and thomas will have to step it up for us to be succesful next season.

hardy and brownlee are both potential x-factors, no one knows how their juco ball will translate into the big east.

im expectin paris and dj to improve upon last year. and im not expecting any major x-factor performances from lawrence or stith...after all they are just freshmen. i also feel like boothe has reached his cealing in the big east.

x-factors for next year: burrell, mase, brownlee, hardy, and thomas

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:51 AM »

He doesn't fit in with the talent that we have and the type of game we need to be playing to get the best results.   If Thomas is seeing minutes, we are not maximizing our potential.  It essentially means that Burrell and/or Brownlee are not performing up to par. 

We have the horses to run.  Rob Thomas has more rols than the hot dog stand at MSG. 

how does he not fit in with the talent that we have?

kob24

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:57:19 AM »
not to change topics but im surprised no one noticed jarrid famous in that you tube video dave put up of dhardy. i told yall he wasnt that good.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:04 AM »

Brownlee...hands down.

I gotta agree with lil buddy here. Brownlee looks like the athlete we need down low, run baby run

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »
I think Burrell is the X factor.

Kid played with a broken face last year which could make the best of players a little timid. I also think he got a little full of himself over last summer. He lost that hunger and energy that we liked some much from his freshman year He played with an attitude like he was entitled to shots, points and rebounds. When the stats did not come he just did not have the answers to turn it around. I think his teammates took this as an opportunity to take their games to another level and good for them.

I think a lot of the issues Burrell had last year centered on the facile injury.

If Burrell come into the season with a chip on his shoulder and on a mission to prove his talent, Watch Out because this kid could easily win Big East most improved player and be 1st team Big East. There is no denying this kids talent.

mkras99

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
I'm going to have to agree with Deborah Harris of the St. John's Rivals site - the new mascot is the X Factor :)

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »
Norm roberts is the X factor

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 11:09:17 AM »
I think the two JUCO players. . Hardy & Brownlee... 

Hardy is supposed to be the shooter we desperately need and Brownlee is very athletic and can score. Both players need to prove themselves but if they can produce like advertised they are going to play major minutes and send some guiys to the the bench.

Rob Thomas is definitely the odd man out next year.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »
Norm roberts is the X factor

He can't be the X factor,   we know exactly what we're gonna get out of Norm.....ZERO

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »

He doesn't fit in with the talent that we have and the type of game we need to be playing to get the best results.   If Thomas is seeing minutes, we are not maximizing our potential.  It essentially means that Burrell and/or Brownlee are not performing up to par. 

Because he's fat and slow and can't play more than a few minutes without getting winded.  He also has no size/length for the post.

If we're going to run, he just doesn't fit in.  A 6'7 or a 6'8 Burrell can get up and down the court with ease.  I think Brownlee is the x-factor.  If he can play the four or a little bit of the five (might be a stretch) for us.  We are booked solid at the three  and I'd never want to see him at the two. 

That would be a nice athletic rotation with both JB's, Evans, and maybe a little Kennedy up front.  Coker can come in when we slow it down and provide some size/shot blocking. 

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »
I voted for Mase.  I think he is our leader and the team will go as far as he takes us.  I hope he can learn to defer to other guys and not force his shot because if he can learn to do that he can become a very good player.  Hopefully he is working on his dribble drives and feeding Justin and Sean and then moving without the basketball.  I think we can see 2 teams next year...1 a team that sits and watches Mase dribble and shoot like 2 years ago OR 2 a team that works well together and uses everyones strengths

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »

He doesn't fit in with the talent that we have and the type of game we need to be playing to get the best results.   If Thomas is seeing minutes, we are not maximizing our potential.  It essentially means that Burrell and/or Brownlee are not performing up to par. 

Because he's fat and slow and can't play more than a few minutes without getting winded.  He also has no size/length for the post.

If we're going to run, he just doesn't fit in.  A 6'7 or a 6'8 Burrell can get up and down the court with ease.  I think Brownlee is the x-factor.  If he can play the four or a little bit of the five (might be a stretch) for us.  We are booked solid at the three  and I'd never want to see him at the two. 

That would be a nice athletic rotation with both JB's, Evans, and maybe a little Kennedy up front.  Coker can come in when we slow it down and provide some size/shot blocking. 

time out...brownlee is a 6-7 small foward, its a stretch to have him play power foward for us...he wont be playing center, cant expect more of him then is reasonable.

thomas does need to get back in shape. after his injuries he has slipped off of many peoples radar, and im not ready to forget about him yet. when he dropped 16 against the first georgetown game leading us to a win, that did not surprise me at all. i used to watch get double doubles with ease in prep school. his cealing is a lot higher then hes reached so far if hes able to get back in shape which he should be working on in the summer. he will get minutes next year because we need all the depth we can get at his position so its his time to prove himself. now or never.

thats why i called him an x factor.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »

time out...brownlee is a 6-7 small foward, its a stretch to have him play power foward for us...he wont be playing center, cant expect more of him then is reasonable.

thomas does need to get back in shape. after his injuries he has slipped off of many peoples radar, and im not ready to forget about him yet. when he dropped 16 against the first georgetown game leading us to a win, that did not surprise me at all. i used to watch get double doubles with ease in prep school. his cealing is a lot higher then hes reached so far if hes able to get back in shape which he should be working on in the summer. he will get minutes next year because we need all the depth we can get at his position so its his time to prove himself. now or never.

Time in.  Brownlee is a 3/4 and there is NO WAY Norm went out and got a JUCO to come in as a junior if he didn't expect him to play the four--just no way.  Our best two players are SF's.  Our best freshman recruit last year can play the two or the three.  Our best freshman recruit this year can play the two or three.  Then, figure in Horne and Dwight at SG.

It wouldn't make sense--even for Norm--if he didn't expect Brownlee to play mostly at the four.  Dante Cunningham was a 6'7 center for Nova and that worked out pretty well. 

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »

I want to hear your logic on this one. If Brownlee is a SF and not a 3/4 then what does that make Rob Thomas?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
Malik Stith. Any teams that scores 10 points in a half needs to rethink things. He should be given a very long look.