ESPN gives Big East recruiting grades

• 29 replies
ESPN gives Big East recruiting grades
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4184147

I never take stock in these but they're always fun to discuss, debate, and of course criticize.

We come in with the 2nd worst grade of the conference only ahead of Depaul. Now not that I can defend our recruiting class too much but these grades are definitely flawed.

Cincinnati only brings in Sean Kilpatrick and they have a higher grade than us?!?!? Omari > Sean for that alone we should be greater.

Notre Dame doesn't bring in any top 150 kids, PC and South Florida aren't anything special.

How does everyone think we stack up in class strength of '09 ?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: ESPN gives Big East recruiting grades
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
i'd give us a C+ and middle of the pack.

sjd8886

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
considering omari is still getting back from injury and hardy and stith are somewhat unknowns i cant argue....even brownlee, while recruited by some top programs outta hs, was still not THAT highly rated a player....but still, i would say a C by their standards might be a bit low, considering the other grades they gave out
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:15:24 AM by SJD »

sjd8886

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:08:41 AM »
btw, i mean getting back in shape from the injury...not rehab wise like i made it sound

Poison

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »
Espn. The same people that Showtime at 15 nationally.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:32:09 AM »
  Do you think the fact that Norm didn't land Lance knocked the grade downa bit?  I would assume that's the reason its so low.  Being graded on recruiting also takes into account who you lost out on as well.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:51:27 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4184147

I never take stock in these but they're always fun to discuss, debate, and of course criticize.

We come in with the 2nd worst grade of the conference only ahead of Depaul. Now not that I can defend our recruiting class too much but these grades are definitely flawed.

Cincinnati only brings in Sean Kilpatrick and they have a higher grade than us?!?!? Omari > Sean for that alone we should be greater.

Notre Dame doesn't bring in any top 150 kids, PC and South Florida aren't anything special.

How does everyone think we stack up in class strength of '09 ?

Sounds about right.  Once again, Norm has failed to bring in a recruit who comes close to cracking the top 100 on any scouting site while his competitors in the conference continue to bring in McDonald's All-Americans.  Defend our recruits all you want, but the only player in this incoming class that we battled for was Omari Lawrence (UConn, Pitt) and possibly Justin Brownlee (rumors had Louisville in the running).  Fact of the matter is that this team will never be able to compete year in and year out in this conference until it starts bringing in some legitimate Big East talent.  And looking at this current roster, once again we don't have it.

Personally, I'm still in shock in regards to the composition of this roster.  We're going into this season with 9 juniors.  That is unheard of.  As I've stated before, even if this team was to step up and be more competitive over the next 2 years, we're already destined to be the worst team in the Big East in a couple years.  For that alone, the people in charge should've kicked Roberts ass to the curb.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:53:56 AM »
Alot of these ratings are like stock analysts or financial advisers who are afraid to go outside the "consensus".

Especially when a person (or people) who are giving these ratings don't know enough about every team and/or recruit. If they don't know enough... they use "historical performance" to base their decision and formulate their opinion.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:54:28 AM by Johnny4Life »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
We have 4 sleepers

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »
Well the funny thing about ESPN rankings that I noticed when Brownlee was in highschool he was 90+ now that he is JUCO he is a 40 which means they don't know shit about him.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
I don't know the other teams recruits other than rankings and those who were reviewed as StJ recruits.

And I know we dont even have a "Top 50 Class"

But on individual ratings only, it appears StJ class is stronger than:
Cinn,   So Fla,   Seton Hall,  Rutgers  &  DePaul

and as good as Providence,  Cuse & Notre Dame
Molloy '71

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
These class rankings are inherently flawed.  It's very hard to quantify. For example, if I get John Wall and a three star player and Tha Kid gets a handful three and four star players, who has the better class?  I'd put more weight into a class ranking that was qualitative and assembled by a respected basketball mind.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »
Well the funny thing about ESPN rankings that I noticed when Brownlee was in highschool he was 90+ now that he is JUCO he is a 40 which means they don't know shit about him.

It could also be that since he was such a physical speciman with unlimited potential, that two years of so-so JUCO ball took away from his four year ceiling without much improvement in their eyes. 

It still shouldn't almost halve a kid's grade, but it could account for some of the disparity. 

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:49:07 PM »
Scout has never had him above 3 star.

I looked back at rivals the last 3 years &
it never ranked him higher than top 150

That does not translate to a Rivals rank of 90+,
which I think is for top 25 each year ?

Do you have a link to that 90+ HS rating?
Molloy '71

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 02:40:35 PM »
Espn. The same people that Showtime at 15 nationally.

He dont get hurt, the brother coulda lead the BE is scorin as a senior. Figure thats a 15 ranking.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 03:10:05 PM »
We have 4 sleepers

Well, I'm not sure  I would call Omari Lawrence a sleeper.  Anybody who is recruited by programs such as UConn and Pitt definitely has talent.  But as for the others, I have absolutely no idea.  I've heard some positive things about them from various posters, but then again I heard the same thing about the last 10 sleepers the program has brought in.

Listen, I know it sounds like I'm complaining each time I come on this board.  And if that bothers some of you, then I'll be the first to apologize.  But all I am reiterating is that the same thing has been going on for 6 straight recruiting classes.  Norm misses out on all of the premium talent, signs some "sleepers", and when they end up being overmatched at the Big East level, we kill them for it.  Say what you will say about Rivals and Scout, but I've always considered them a solid barometer for how players will do at the college level.  Are there exceptions to the rule?  Of course.  Who would've guessed Craig Smith be a star at BC?  Or Torin Francis be a flop at ND?  But for the most part, they give us all an idea for how they will do at the college level.  And that's why I'm saying I doubt all of these "sleepers" are gonna do well at St. John's.  We've been saying the same thing since Norm has been here and it really needs to stop.

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 05:59:35 PM »
so every year, the paid pundits say we'll suck.  we'll argue that they don't know what they're talking about.

then the season begins and we suck.

go figure.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »
so every year, the paid pundits say we'll suck.  we'll argue that they don't know what they're talking about.

go figure.

I don't think anyone is over hyping our recruits or even trying to. I think they're not 2nd worst in the conference but then again its pointless to argue we're 4,5,6th from the bottom in the conference and not 2nd worst.

I think the article like others have echoed is simply flawwed and not really a good guage of things.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 06:28:58 PM »

go figure.

The same paid pundits predicted Georgetown and Notre Dame were top 10 teams