Can we hire Mark Jackson?

• 16 replies

Marillac

Can we hire Mark Jackson?
« on: May 25, 2009, 10:06:58 PM »
He's the man. On point with everything and funny as hell.

Re: Can we hire Mark Jackson?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »
He's grown on me as an commentator. I think him and JVG have developed a bit of chemistry but at first I thought Jackson was so choppy and unbearable to listen to.

Jackson still needs to work on his leads to commercial breaks.

I think the real question would be who would make the better coach or assistant...Mullin or Jackson?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »
 guys they aint coming. not any time soon.wont get paid anywhere near what they want

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »
He's the man. On point with everything and funny as hell.

No, we have a coach.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:57:48 AM »
guys they aint coming. not any time soon.wont get paid anywhere near what they want
What would you guess their price range would be?  I agree with you, and I think mark would want to command a cool mill and a half; I think he has more chance of becoming a first-time NBA head coach than a college coach.  The college game is difficult, more than just coaching (or rolling the balls out like some NBA coaches seem to do).

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »
What would you guess their price range would be?  I agree with you, and I think mark would want to command a cool mill and a half; I think he has more chance of becoming a first-time NBA head coach than a college coach.  The college game is difficult, more than just coaching (or rolling the balls out like some NBA coaches seem to do).

No doubt it's a harder coaching gig, but he can use his celebrity to own the city.  Every kid has seen him on tv and on the funny ESPN commercials for a few years.  Their parents, uncles, and coaches all love him because of what he did in the 80's and 90's. 

A lot of times players just want to know what the coach can do to get them to the next level.  Norm has nothing to stand on when it comes to this.  Mark Jackson can talk about what he did to go from St. John's to the NBA,about how he is the 2nd leading assist man in NBA history, and about how he can help use his NBA experience to get them ready for that jump better than anyone else.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
1st off, I don't want Mark Jackson.  He's lived on the West Coast for the last few years and his East Coast grassroots ties are minimal.  He also has ZERO coaching experience.  I would take Tim Cluess over Mark Jackson.

Secondly, Jackson makes MUCH more at ESPN/ABC then he would as the head coach of St. John's.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »
My love fo Jax is real.
But he still a gamble as a coach. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

boo3

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
1st off, I don't want Mark Jackson.  He's lived on the West Coast for the last few years and his East Coast grassroots ties are minimal.  He also has ZERO coaching experience.  I would take Tim Cluess over Mark Jackson.

Secondly, Jackson makes MUCH more at ESPN/ABC then he would as the head coach of St. John's.

totally agree with you.  I'd rather go after Van Gundy...maybe even Mike Breen ;)   Has Jackson ever even been an assistant coach?  I don't think so.   The next hire must be a real x/o type of guy.   Jim Christian(TCU) is a guy i like a lot.  LI roots,  has won everywhere he's been, and been an NBA scout.  he know talent.  Look him up if you don't know about him.  you'll  be impressed.

sjd8886

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
would van gundy want to coach college? and what is he doin right now...havent heard from him in a while

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 05:09:02 PM »
Everyone throws out VG every now and then...there's no way we'd pony up for him....lets pray for Franc McCaffrey...
"I drink and I know things"

sjd8886

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 07:20:31 PM »
id be more than fine with fran

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »
and what is he doin right now...havent heard from him in a while

You're kidding right?  Or don't you know what Mark Jackson is doing right now either.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 11:35:06 PM »
Everyone throws out VG every now and then...there's no way we'd pony up for him....lets pray for Franc McCaffrey...

McCaffrey is my first choice as well.  I just think it is so dumb that we didn't get him this year.  He returns so much senior talent and his team is almost a lock to the MAAC and make some noise in the tournament again.  He'll have his team in the top 25 for several weeks as well.  We'll be in a bidding war come March/April for him. 

You do what he did for a year and people take notice.  You do it for two, and you the coach to have.  We could have had him for a bargain. 

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »
I don't think he would want the job.  He's an NBA coach if anything.  Plus, as much as I like hime, we can't afford to experiment on a guy with no coaching experience.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
I'd hire him to call the games.
We already hired a coach with no experience

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »
He's grown on me as an commentator. I think him and JVG have developed a bit of chemistry but at first I thought Jackson was so choppy and unbearable to listen to.

Jackson still needs to work on his leads to commercial breaks.

I think the real question would be who would make the better coach or assistant...Mullin or Jackson?

You hit the nail on the head. I was not a big fan of him on YES either but Action Jackson has come a long way & I enjoy him very much.

I would trade him for Mike Breen any day, all Breen does is wine on the mic he is my most hated commentator in all of basketball.Kelly Tripucka is most underrated he tore it up for the Knicks this year, he is knows his stuff :-*

I miss Stephen A so much, these other non basketball guys are so boring.

I would love Allan Houston as the coach he is a great character guy, was one of the most fundamentally sounds guys in the NBA, he loves Jesus, has to be one of the richest men in the city so maybe he won't asked for a lot ::).Was the shooting coach & Assistant to the President for Basketball Operations this year for the Knicks, so has a little bit of experience in an off the court basketball role. An additional bonus is  his farther was a college basketball coach of a major university
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"