Player Improvements for 09-10

• 35 replies

Marillac

Player Improvements for 09-10
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
The soph to junior jump is so important in college basketball.  You really establish what kind of player you are in that span.  A guy like Evans, for example, who averaged a rebound ever four minutes can officially become a double-double machine or stay the way he was.  Burrell can become the beast he was meant to be with one of the finest 15 footers in the country or regress.  Boothe can prove that he can stay healthy, penetrate and dish, and lockdown his man or he can just be known as a kid that can't shoot worth a darn.

DJ and Paris can soar to new levels.  DJ can turn himself into a NBA-caliber player this year.  He has good size and although he's not a freak athlete, he hits the boards and he showed that he can run an offense and pass very well for a wing.  I think he's the key to our season when you factor in that he does things that noboby else really can (drive, create, rebound) and how imporant it is for him (and Horne) to mesh with Mason.

I don't think Mase is the ballhog most think he is.  He was pretty much being forced to score.  Playing with a junior Kennedy that will be able to create from the wing and a junior Horne that will be able to stretch the D, should lighten his load.  I'm not sure how Horne and Mase will be able to without Kennedy on the floor.  He seems like the perfect guy to serve as a buffer for the two since they both like to sit on the perimeter and shoot and DJ is so good taking it hard, forcing the help to suck in and then kicking it out.

DJ and Paris are pretty much the poster boys for picking a school that affords playing time over a roster stacked with top 100 kids. 

As sophs you are still young physically and lack the experience, but taking two seasons of lgame lessons and understanding what you need to improve on into your summer is so huge.  Then you find yourself as a veteran in the league.  The stars that were in your way the year before are no longer there and you don't have the pressure of it being your last season like your senior year. 

In summary, Marillac is excited.  The Big East is down.  We have a roster of great, likeable kids that work their tails off, play great D, have a ton of experience, and I believe they will come back exponentially better than where they left off.  You learn 100000 times more experiencing the game and making mistakes than you ever could just in practice and watching the games from the bench.  We have size, athletes, some shooter, FINALLY two ball handlers, and probably the most experienced roster in the conference.

Poison

Re: Player Improvements for 09-10
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:35:30 PM »
Hopefully Horne returns with a mid range game.

Kennedy returns with a right hand.

Evans returns with a free throw stroke.

And Burrell returns with a new-found fire.

Where are our players balling this summer?

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 03:18:48 PM »
Because of our Junior class I am excited about this season. They are kids you can root for. I like what we have coming in too. The lack of outside shooting creates problems for the bigs down low. The lack of scoring in general. I have a very good feeling about this group as a whole. BE will not be as strong and we have upperclass men.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
It has got to put up or shut up Norm Roberts.
He has to win now, or he's gotta go.

boo3

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
It has got to put up or shut up Norm Roberts.
He has to win now, or he's gotta go.

Monasch has said as much.  Whether or not he's blowing smoke is another issue.  They(admin.) expect to be a tourney team this year.    I believe i can hear the fat lady clearing her throat already.

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »
The soph to junior jump is so important in college basketball.  You really establish what kind of player you are in that span.  A guy like Evans, for example, who averaged a rebound ever four minutes can officially become a double-double machine or stay the way he was.  Burrell can become the beast he was meant to be with one of the finest 15 footers in the country or regress.  Boothe can prove that he can stay healthy, penetrate and dish, and lockdown his man or he can just be known as a kid that can't shoot worth a darn.

DJ and Paris can soar to new levels.  DJ can turn himself into a NBA-caliber player this year.  He has good size and although he's not a freak athlete, he hits the boards and he showed that he can run an offense and pass very well for a wing.  I think he's the key to our season when you factor in that he does things that noboby else really can (drive, create, rebound) and how imporant it is for him (and Horne) to mesh with Mason.

I don't think Mase is the ballhog most think he is.  He was pretty much being forced to score.  Playing with a junior Kennedy that will be able to create from the wing and a junior Horne that will be able to stretch the D, should lighten his load.  I'm not sure how Horne and Mase will be able to without Kennedy on the floor.  He seems like the perfect guy to serve as a buffer for the two since they both like to sit on the perimeter and shoot and DJ is so good taking it hard, forcing the help to suck in and then kicking it out.

DJ and Paris are pretty much the poster boys for picking a school that affords playing time over a roster stacked with top 100 kids. 

As sophs you are still young physically and lack the experience, but taking two seasons of lgame lessons and understanding what you need to improve on into your summer is so huge.  Then you find yourself as a veteran in the league.  The stars that were in your way the year before are no longer there and you don't have the pressure of it being your last season like your senior year. 

In summary, Marillac is excited.  The Big East is down.  We have a roster of great, likeable kids that work their tails off, play great D, have a ton of experience, and I believe they will come back exponentially better than where they left off.  You learn 100000 times more experiencing the game and making mistakes than you ever could just in practice and watching the games from the bench.  We have size, athletes, some shooter, FINALLY two ball handlers, and probably the most experienced roster in the conference.

Where is marillac and what have you done with him?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »
Because of our Junior class I am excited about this season. They are kids you can root for.

I agree with this part.  Gotta like the group of kids we got.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »

marillac = sunshine pumper :D

I wish I could be as optimistic as him ;D

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »

Someone was able to hack into his johnnyjungle login! Baldi... was that you?  ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:41:25 PM »

Someone was able to hack into his johnnyjungle login! Baldi... was that you?  ;)

You got me, his account was easy to hack. His password is "buttpirate"

Poison

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:19:27 PM »
Firing the coach should come after firing the people who brought him here.

I'd much rather see Harrington fired than Roberts.
He's the man behind every problem regarding SJU BB.

I don't know what he's done for univesity, but I also couldn't give a sh.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »

You got me, his account was easy to hack. His password is "buttpirate"

Wow Marillac... you changed your password? I thought it used to be "ILoveInvestingInTaxLeins"?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:42:55 PM by Johnny4Life »

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 05:00:03 AM »

Same ol' Marillac.  In fact, I am just gettin back from two fights tonight.  First, breaking my hand on some guido bouncer's face at the Newburgh waterfront tonight (yes, Sunday) and then laying out his friend.  Then I got into a fight in Monroe ( man I Love NY tough guys) . 

Broken hand baby....nice. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »
You typing with the left, then?  Broken hand!  Damn, man.

But you know I agree about Mase.  I don't agree about great D.  But there is some measure of promise in the team.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »
I'd love to see Mason upgrade his defense to Stanley Robinson esque. Using his length and leaping to block shots and getting into passing lanes every once in a while to get some easy fast break jams the other way.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
You typing with the left, then?  Broken hand!  Damn, man.

But you know I agree about Mase.  I don't agree about great D.  But there is some measure of promise in the team.

LOL just playing.  I actually just woke up to take care of my niece :) but I liked that story better to combat the sunshine pumper image.  Babies are a handful...never thought they'd be so much work.  This kid literally cries every second of the day if she's not entertained.  Not unlike Badi. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 11:58:16 PM »
I'm not extremely pessimistic, but thinking about this again... are the improvements in the players enough to overcome the 13 10+ point losses in conference play (that would be EVERY conference loss)?  Along with the similar gaps in the non-conference games (except for Duke, a loss by 7 and Richmond, a loss by 6)?

I know the other teams have fallen off but they do reload with talented players and adaptable coaches.  That's a big leap that the players and staff would have to make, and I've always thought the frosh-soph leap was the significant one.  Some guys break out junior year but by now, we have a sense of what the player's gonna look like.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:12 AM »
I'm not extremely pessimistic, but thinking about this again... are the improvements in the players enough to overcome the 13 10+ point losses in conference play (that would be EVERY conference loss)?  Along with the similar gaps in the non-conference games (except for Duke, a loss by 7 and Richmond, a loss by 6)?

I know the other teams have fallen off but they do reload with talented players and adaptable coaches.  That's a big leap that the players and staff would have to make, and I've always thought the frosh-soph leap was the significant one.  Some guys break out junior year but by now, we have a sense of what the player's gonna look like.

It's not just us getting better, though.  It's other teams getting worse.  So if we are +5 or +6 and they are minus -5, we're right in it.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »

Agreed...off the top of my head other than Marquette (and Syracuse to a degree) I don't expect much dropoff out of the rest of the teams.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »

Agreed...off the top of my head other than Marquette (and Syracuse to a degree) I don't expect much dropoff out of the rest of the teams.

Pitt, UConn, Providence and Louisville - along with Syracuse and Marquette - each lose their three best and most important players and none (zero) were one and doners.  Nova and WVU are the only teams in the top half of the conference that should be better than last year.  All the others on this list will likely be worse.

Yes the key players will be replaced but mostly, not with experienced roster guys, but with new or bench guys who show some potential but are certainly not likely to step into and fill the departed's shoes right away if even in their first year as key contributors. 

The conference will be down because the ceiling will be lowered.  Doesn't mean I expect STJ to finish in the top half, just means I won't totally discount the possibility either.