December's Hofstra game...

• 15 replies

Poison

December's Hofstra game...
« on: June 19, 2009, 09:40:29 AM »
This had better be the year we beat them.
They lost most of their frontcourt.

All they have left if a skinny big man that Burrell and Evans should eat for lunch.

It's a very simple gameplan: Put Paris Horne on Charles Jenkins for 30 minutes. You don't need to ask Horne to score, because if Jenkins is limited,
Hofstra loses. Mix in Roberts, Mason and whomever else is effective at guarding him.

They don't go much deeper than Jenkins. They have others guys who can play, but not too many. We should be deeper than them next year.

We have enough additional scoring options now that Horne shouldn't need to shoot the ball 13 times. He would be great if he just focused on stopping the other team's most efficient offensive player.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:34:37 AM by Poison »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: December's Hofstra game...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:04:42 AM »
What you bring up is a larger point about how this team could play; I don't like Horne putting it up 13 times in every game.  He's decent (even with the tail-off at the end of the year), but he has greater value as a guy who could possibly lock down similarly sized shooting guards.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »
What you bring up is a larger point about how this team could play; I don't like Horne putting it up 13 times in every game.  He's decent (even with the tail-off at the end of the year), but he has greater value as a guy who could possibly lock down similarly sized shooting guards.

I thought Horne had a very good soph season. Overall, he improved leaps and bounds beyond what we expected him to contribute here. If quite possible he puts up the same numbers on less shots.

If Hardy, Mason and Lawrence can score too, it leaves Horne free to attack the basket. He doesn't have to shoot it. He can occasionally, but his athleticism should be used as much as possible.

He could develop like Lopez did.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »
This should be  a blow out but you never know with SJU. We need a blow out to remind these youngsters who is boss
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 12:36:49 AM »
This should be  a blow out but you never know with SJU. We need a blow out to remind these youngsters who is boss

I agree, 20 point ownage of Pecora. This will be the year

Poison

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:36:31 AM »
A blow out? Let's walk before we run.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »
Hard fo this brother to get all excited bout a Hofstra game six month away.

Then again, if the sun dont come out soon, this brother aint gonna know what to do wit hisself. Where the hell is summer this year?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
it's important to let local recruits know that we are not afraid of losing to teams in lesser conferences.

Heck, it's important for us to know that.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

No way we win by 20 with Jenkins and Lester.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »
Marillac, you think Lester is that good?

He turned it on towards th middle to end of the season, but in fairness to us, and our guys, he's hasn't gone up against the level of talent that guys like DJ have.

Jenkins is fine, but I'm not scared of him like I was Loren Stokes and Aguidio. I don't think he's in their class. 

LJSA

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

No way we win by 20 with Jenkins and Lester.

And they'll also have Chaz -- and Lance

Poison

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »
I think they'll be fine at guard, but as always they look light in the paint. Who's going to rebound and defend inside?

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »
I think they'll be fine at guard, but as always they look light in the paint. Who's going to rebound and defend inside?

Pecora's good teams are always guard-oriented.  This year will be no exception and I think Lester makes a huge jump this year.  Pecora assimilates his bigs so quickly, it doesn't even matter who he has returning.  Jenkins is probably the best player on the floor in that game.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
I'm not so sure Jenkins is better than Horne or Kennedy.
Those guys could each drop 25+ on almost all of the teams that guys like Jenkins and Lester faced.

Horne and Kennedy could dust UNC Wilmington, too. 

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
I am rooting for Lester BK stand up , but there is no SJU player at  SG or SF I would trade for him.
Now Jenkins on the other hand is a problem
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 04:51:18 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
He's a decent player