What Schedule Would Interest You?

• 4 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
What Schedule Would Interest You?
« on: June 19, 2009, 12:38:13 PM »
I ask this as complete speculation.  I saw this on another blog and thought it was an interesting topic of discussion, especially since some people are not happy with the cupcake schedule, the kind of competition that fails to put fannies in the seats, as some say. 

Balancing a need for some wins, some local flavor (and probably a desire for distant teams not to travel long distances to avoid the financial hit unless it's a guarantee game), and allowing for the Philly Classic as 1 game and the Holiday Festival as 1 game (as I think they will be regarded by the NCAA), have a go at making a schedule.  Rationalizations for why you made the schedule that was are, of course, encouraged.

LJSA

Re: What Schedule Would Interest You?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:31:29 PM »
Unless we've been paired with them at a tournament that we have no control over, there should never be non-local cupcakes on the schedule. Ever. Playing Howard does nothing for us. Play Iona instead.

Obviously UNC and Kansas gain nothing by playing us, so if we can't get them (or keep the score within 35 if we do get them), we may as well play top mid-majors around the country until we improve. Put Gonzaga and Butler on the schedule.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
I would go with, given 11 spots to fill for basketball, and liking the game against Georgia, but not really considering who this team could realistically beat:

1. LIU
2. Niagara
3. Holy Cross
4. Penn State/ Northwestern
5. UCLA (or Texas or Duke if we have to, as a home and home series)
6. St. Joseph's (or Temple)
7. Iona
8. Auburn (or Texas Tech - some lower level SEC/ Big XII school)
9. Michigan
10. Rider
11. Fairleigh Dickinson/ Marist

Some name schools with alumni, a couple of lower level football schools that won't look bad in the RPI, and matchups against some of the decent locals (St. Joe's, Holy Cross, Niagara, and LIU who have played St. John's tough recently).

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »
To start the season, I would say the local NY/NJ/CT teams:

- Hofstra, Fordham, Marist, etc.

As the pre Big East season progressed, some of the mid to lower level ACC/Big Ten/SEC Teams and upper to mid level A10 teams:

Examples: NC State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Michigan, Indiana, St. Joe's, UMass, etc.

I would go with, given 11 spots to fill for basketball, and liking the game against Georgia, but not really considering who this team could realistically beat:

1. LIU
2. Niagara
3. Holy Cross
4. Penn State/ Northwestern
5. UCLA (or Texas or Duke if we have to, as a home and home series)
6. St. Joseph's (or Temple)
7. Iona
8. Auburn (or Texas Tech - some lower level SEC/ Big XII school)
9. Michigan
10. Rider
11. Fairleigh Dickinson/ Marist

Some name schools with alumni, a couple of lower level football schools that won't look bad in the RPI, and matchups against some of the decent locals (St. Joe's, Holy Cross, Niagara, and LIU who have played St. John's tough recently).

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
Good choices, but I would hate to be a notch in the "Indiana's back!" storyline!