Best Big in the Big East?

• 18 replies
Best Big in the Big East?
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
With Thabeet and Blair gone, who will be the top big man next season?

Harangody?
Greg Monroe?
Samardo Samuels?
Stanley Robinson?
Who else? How do our guys fit in here?

I think Yancy Gates from Cincy might be the best of the bunch

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Best Big in the Big East?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
Not Stanley Robinson.  How do you say it... he has no motor.

Harangody will put up the best numbers - their offense is fast and he'll have to be the go-to guy, but Samardo could be a monster, especially if he rebounds better.

Yancy Gates?  He's got some improving to do in all facets and the guards have to get him the ball in good positions (i.e., less of Yancy Gates creating shots).

Our guys... with a lot more (dribble and body) control, Sean Evans could be a factor, but not on the same level as the aforementioned players.  Justin needs to get and seek more touches to be talked about as one of the best bigs in the conference, but he has some skill, especially if that jump shot starts falling or if he gets a little dribble from just inside the arc.

I like this topic.  We should keep it up for other positions in the Big East.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:09:05 AM »
Head to head, Sean Evans had some game rebounding against the much taller,  and more athletic Greg Monroe. However, Monroe is incredibly talented. But talent doesn't guarantee wins.

Samardo looks great. Harangody will always get his. But we've beaten him now just as much as he's beaten us. So he's not unstoppable.

And frankly, there are probably bench guys on Louisville, Marq, Pitt and Nova that will step in be better than out starters.

Burrell should be one of the top 10 big men in the league. Should be.
Very curious to see how our bigs return for their junior season.

Evans had moments where he was the best and worst player on the court.
Let's see which comes back. As good as Yancy Gates was, Evans was outplaying him alumni hall until the wheels came off.

Can Coker give us 4 and 6 with 2 blocks? That would be a miracle.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:10:21 AM by Poison »

kob24

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
Don't sleep on dan jennings and Dante Taylor

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »

Also you have Devin Ebanks, Herb Pope, Greg Echenique, Lazar Haywood, and how did no one mention Arinze Onuaku?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »
That big man on rutgers was terrible. Burrell and Evans are both better than that guy.

Onuaku owns us, but he has to knock down free throws.

Lazar H is great.

Herb Pope is a mystery. Bobby G hasn't exactly excelled at developing big men. We'll see.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 03:35:57 PM »
That big man on rutgers was terrible. Burrell and Evans are both better than that guy.

Lazar H is great.

Herb Pope is a mystery. Bobby G hasn't exactly excelled at developing big men. We'll see.

I was simply just mentioning other big men. Not saying our guys are better or worse but just tossing out some names so maybe we can start developing some lists of players.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »

Lazar H is great.

I was simply just mentioning other big men. Not saying our guys are better or worse but just tossing out some names so maybe we can start developing some lists of players.

I know. Didn't mean to imply that you weren't.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
This will be Harangody by a mile.  Heard he really added to his deep ball this off-season.  He hit at a good clip last year, but look for him to shoot a lot more treys and face up more and further from the basket.  His stats will just be silly this year. 

#2 will be Monroe

#3 I expect to be Herb Pope

Gates is nice, but so raw.  I think Jackson will be better than Onuaku.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 01:20:17 AM »
This will be Harangody by a mile.  Heard he really added to his deep ball this off-season.  He hit at a good clip last year, but look for him to shoot a lot more treys and face up more and further from the basket.  His stats will just be silly this year. 

#2 will be Monroe

#3 I expect to be Herb Pope

Gates is nice, but so raw.  I think Jackson will be better than Onuaku.

i agree with jackson being better than onuaku. he is a real good passer and a smart player. plus onuaku's free throws kill him
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »
Onuaku is like a skilled Shawnelle Scott.
Rick Jackson came a long way from bricking every shot he took as a freshman. If he continues to work hard, Cuse might have the best frontcourt in the BE.

They have a big man from Detroit, something Riley, and
another kid from Queens who should help too. 

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 08:40:01 AM »
Rick Jackson came a long way from bricking every shot he took as a freshman. If he continues to work hard, Cuse might have the best frontcourt in the BE.

The best front court will be Harangody and whoever is next to him.  Nobody can slow this guy down.  He'll get his 25+ .  Jackson and Onuaku are very solid, but they aren't going to kill you. They did so much damage because of the insanely talented back court last year.  Cuse will have some issues next year.  I think absolute best case for them next year is a first round win in the tournament.  It's been a while since Syracuse hasn't had a big-time veteran scorer returning. 

Poison

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »

The best front court will be Harangody and whoever is next to him.  Nobody can slow this guy down.  He'll get his 25+ .  Jackson and Onuaku are very solid, but they aren't going to kill you. They did so much damage because of the insanely talented back court last year.  Cuse will have some issues next year.  I think absolute best case for them next year is a first round win in the tournament.  It's been a while since Syracuse hasn't had a big-time veteran scorer returning.

That's true, on paper, they return only Onuaku, Jackson and Rautins.
(But Mookie Jones and Antoine Jardine were hurt last year, and they can play)

Who knows, there are times when you'd swear Rautins is JJ Reddick.
He's streaky though.

The thing that is consistent with Syracuse, is that you can never sleep on them because they always put out a solid squad when no one expects them to.

Brandon Triche, Andy Rauntins, Missouri transfer, Jackson and Onuaku are probably going to start. Def questions, but if Triche is as good as Boeheim says he is, they'll be just as good as last year.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
Mookie didn't or barely got off the bench at all in the competitive games before he got hurt so he hasn't really established he can play at this level yet.

I think Scoop will start at the Point.

They also have Southerland coming in to support the front court but I agree Johnson will start with Jackson and Onuaku. 

Poison

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »
Triche is starting.

Boeheim said it a month ago.
Said he's better overall than Flynn.

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 09:18:09 PM »

That's true, on paper, they return only Onuaku, Jackson and Rautins.
(But Mookie Jones and Antoine Jardine were hurt last year, and they can play)

Who knows, there are times when you'd swear Rautins is JJ Reddick.
He's streaky though.

The thing that is consistent with Syracuse, is that you can never sleep on them because they always put out a solid squad when no one expects them to.

Brandon Triche, Andy Rauntins, Missouri transfer, Jackson and Onuaku are probably going to start. Def questions, but if Triche is as good as Boeheim says he is, they'll be just as good as last year.

Is Rautins Syracuse' best player?

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »
Luke Harangody will win the Wooden Award if ND goes to the field of 65. I can see 26 & 13 from him next year
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »
No way Triche comes in and does anything close to what Flynn did last year.  Rautins is good, but he was so good because of Flynn and Devo's ability to penetrate and score/dish.  He'll be all alone next year and will face-guarded.

Southerland and Mookie Jones are completely unproven.  I don't expect either one to contribute anymore than what Q Calhoun did for us.  Mookie was disappointing last year before he was hurt and Southerland hasn't played a game yet.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »
No way? Syracuse always finds sleepers when no one expects them to. If Boeheim is convinced that Triche and Wes Johnson are better than what we had, he's certainly got my attention.

Personally, I have not seen either one play.

And Marco, is Rautins Syracuse's best player? No. Arinze Onuaku is their best player. If he could somehow find a free throw stroke he'd put up 20 and 10.