live! st johns vs uconn

• 79 replies
Re: live! st johns vs uconn
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
i really love boothe's game.  remeber watching him face holy cross last year.  i knew the guy was the goods.  if he can develop some sort of jumpshot he can be REALLY good..

some good ol' stats for everyone:

Eugene Lawrence: 2 points, 1 assist, 4 turnovers..  terrible for your only senior pg..

Mason Jr: 14 pts, 5-18 fg, 1-4 3pt.  he was AWFUL tonight.  he can't shoot 5-18. just can't. or else we really got no chance at all vs anyone in the big east.

boothe: 0 points, 7 assists, 3 steals, NO TURNOVERS.

burrell: 2 defensive rebounds. he needs to get more rebounds. our centers are terrible and he needs to step up. (and he doesn't need alley oops kob..)

yeah i was a little dissappointed with Justin on the D Boards, but I think that will come with time

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »
mase and justin didnt play well either lets not get it twisted that this is just being put on geno.  pretty much everyone played awful on the team with the exception of malik and dj (sometimes) and justin did have some good moments.  paris did a few good things as well.

however justin made some awful decisions with the ball, he continued to take fadeaway jump shots, didnt rebound and always got his own feed tangled up when he squared up to the basket and lost control of the ball.

mase was soft tonight, bucky waters was absolutely right.  i understand that he will take and make some bad shots but he is often the only player to touch the ball when he shoots in each possession.  he took the team out of the offense (insert norm joke here) too much.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2008, 09:56:07 PM »
anyone know how many to's geno has?  besides what you said johnniesfan he had more that led to hoops.  he's cost us about 15 i think

I think Geno had about 25 turnovers.
In the first half.

Poison

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2008, 09:57:45 PM »
i really love boothe's game.  remeber watching him face holy cross last year.  i knew the guy was the goods.  if he can develop some sort of jumpshot he can be REALLY good..

some good ol' stats for everyone:

Eugene Lawrence: 2 points, 1 assist, 4 turnovers..  terrible for your only senior pg..

Mason Jr: 14 pts, 5-18 fg, 1-4 3pt.  he was AWFUL tonight.  he can't shoot 5-18. just can't. or else we really got no chance at all vs anyone in the big east.

boothe: 0 points, 7 assists, 3 steals, NO TURNOVERS.

burrell: 2 defensive rebounds. he needs to get more rebounds. our centers are terrible and he needs to step up. (and he doesn't need alley oops kob..)

Mase played for first 3 minutes, and then shat the bed.

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2008, 10:20:25 PM »
does anyone have the time to put together Malik and Geno's combined stats from the first three Big East game and post them on here?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 11:03:18 PM »
I really cant watch norm coach anymore.  GENO IS HORRIBLE.  Thats it.  I am not saying Boothe is gonna save us, but since we have noone coming in next year, he should be playing at LEAST 25 min a game.

Wright, geez norm, start kennedy over wright a budding soph??????

Mason, I have seen plenty of people at alumni with a better handle at open gym.

TJ, unbelievable not a BE player, I actually for a second thought he might at least be the best option at center.  I would go with Coker.

I actually feel bad for JB, for having norm as a coach.

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »
I thought TJ played alright today I mean if you want to point fingers I wouldn't be pointing at him today. He had a few blocks and was active on the boards. He was playing his role well for the exception of that one outlet pass.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 11:25:52 PM »
also why feel bad for JB? He looked immature and inexperienced out there. He doesn't hustle 110% all the time as he turns it on when he wants to. He needs to be more hungry for the ball on the defensive glass. I love that he is shooting the ball from the outside but ehhh not so much but I enjoy this part of his game developing and he has the confidence to shoot the ball from there so a bit catch 22.

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »
jj, what are your thought on your boy geno lawrence?

its gotta be about winning, screw loyalty.  what has geno ever done for norm?  he certainly hasnt won for him

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 11:39:24 PM »
he isn't playing well at all...very disappointing and I was happy to see Malik in extended minutes. I agree screw loyalty playing time should be earned by performance.

I still think Geno on top of his game offers more than Malik but Geno is slumping and is hurting us too much. I think he is shooting 25% or so over last 5 games ewww.

Malik did a better job defensively on price and took care of the ball better too. There is no arguing here. Geno is my boy and has been my friend since he arrived at st. john's but he is playing himself out right now and Malik is playing himself in. I hope Geno bounces back because despite popular belief I think this team needs him to step up and be a floor general out there.

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »
I thought TJ played alright today I mean if you want to point fingers I wouldn't be pointing at him today. He had a few blocks and was active on the boards. He was playing his role well for the exception of that one outlet pass.

JJ, he had 0pts, 4Rebs, and 4 fouls and NO blocks.  On D he was getting beasted all night, maybe we were watching a different game.  Myself and Stool were laughing at the positions these guys were getting on him.

Thats the role for a tri captain in his junior year?

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2008, 11:57:23 PM »

JJ, he had 0pts, 4Rebs, and 4 fouls and NO blocks.  On D he was getting beasted all night, maybe we were watching a different game.  Myself and Stool were laughing at the positions these guys were getting on him.

He most definitely had a block late in middle of the second half I thought he could have gotten credit for 2 blocks so I'm not sure since I haven't scoped a box score yet. If my memory serves me right he had 2 offensive rebounds and probably played 15 min or so.

Is Tomas very good?....No. Am I saying that?....No. What I'm saying is that he wasn't the problem tonight. He gave serviceable minutes and his fouls were fine...No And 1's against him and UConn was horrible from the line. I'd rather that then easy layups that Evans gave up in his minutes.

kob24

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »
fellas i didnt see the game just got home from work and turned on my tivo. but im looking on espn .com and it says justin had 17 and 6 shooting 7 for 16 making all his free throws. im not sure but i think thats pretty damn good for a freshman playing against uconn. but ill watch the rest tonght

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 12:30:52 AM »
fellas i didnt see the game just got home from work and turned on my tivo. but im looking on espn .com and it says justin had 17 and 6 shooting 7 for 16 making all his free throws. im not sure but i think thats pretty damn good for a freshman playing against uconn. but ill watch the rest tonght

the boxscore isn't very indicative of everything tonight. You'll see when you watch the game. Justin his first outside shot of the night and he got a bit trigger happy out there but I'm nit picking and I want Justin to shoot more. I think more of his play I'm upset with was on the defensive end and on the boards. He just wasn't aggressive tonight. He wasn't throwing it down on anyone he got stuffed a few times but he did dish out one monster block himself. He played OK but we all want him to play GREAT. The team played bad and our guards got torched. Price, Dyson, and Robinson shot maybe 75% and accounted for hmm maybe 60 points or so.

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 12:34:09 AM »

He most definitely had a block late in middle of the second half I thought he could have gotten credit for 2 blocks so I'm not sure since I haven't scoped a box score yet. If my memory serves me right he had 2 offensive rebounds and probably played 15 min or so.

Is Tomas very good?....No. Am I saying that?....No. What I'm saying is that he wasn't the problem tonight. He gave serviceable minutes and his fouls were fine...No And 1's against him and UConn was horrible from the line. I'd rather that then easy layups that Evans gave up in his minutes.

I just expected more out of him.  Some of you guys even had me thinking he might be improved from last year, you know, like actually developing.  Opts is unacceptable.
You are right though JJ, evans was even more lost out there.  

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 12:46:22 AM »
Tomas is what he is but I do feel he is a serviceable big man for limited minutes in spurts. He brings good energy but fades fast possibly 4 min tops out there. Bring him in 8-12(If playing 12 min it must be at 4 min clips) minutes a game and I think he gives you 4 pts 4-5 boards and a block. He has good hands and sees the floor well when passing.

When he plays over that 4 min mark like I suggest he fades and loses focus and this is when we notice the defensive lapses and lack of rebound production. I know its disappointing that he is our starting center but he could be a pretty good player when used in my suggested limited role. I feel him and Dele could thrive in this type of platoon while also going small at times too.

But getting back to this game how can you expect more??? I think you set your self up with false expectations. Really the player that got me yelling at my TV was Sean Evans and not to bash on him but he had no business being out there today but then again Tomas and Dele were in foul trouble so its hard to put it all on Norm but my philosophy when you're down by so much why sit your true bigs because of foul trouble? Just play it out as we had nothing to lose at that point and were only getting burnt further. Of course this is all easier to say in hindsight knowing the final outcome but I have some conflicting philosophies to Norm in this area dating back to the beginning of his tenure. Evans was accountable for at least 10 brain fart points today.

kob24

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 12:54:18 AM »
1st off let me apologize for justins fade away jump shot. he will hear from me in the morning

kob24

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 01:04:58 AM »
fellas dele is gonna be really good in about a year

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 01:12:34 AM »
fellas dele is gonna be really good in about a year

Dele's one move tonight had to bring a smile on everyone's face tonight. I mean no one could have saw that razzle dazzle coming.

kob24

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 01:15:18 AM »
on the break justin running malik has the ball he outlets it to him just goes up and get fouled. a 3 point play. this is how the johniees should be playing in my opinion