CHN's top 144

• 202 replies

Poison

Re: CHN's top 144
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2009, 11:44:57 AM »
This program is still a sleeping giant. A big name coach could make us a premier program. Roberts isn't attractive enough to these top flight recruits.

The only way we can be relevant under Roberts is if his recruits turn out to be better than advertised.

Wrong - the recruits/talent is not the problem.  It's the coaching.  A good coach would have this team as currently constructed in the NCAA.  Roberts won't.  He better be fired after the year if he doesn't make the dance.

We don't know what kind of talent we have on "this" team yet.
Unless you've seen Dwight Hardy play a D1 game?

So I'm not wrong, because you're basing this on speculation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're returning every major contributor from last year AND Anthony Mason, right?  Because that's enough talent for a good coach to get us into the dance.  So you are wrong.  Roberts is the problem.  Roberts is the problem.  Roberts is the problem.  What's so hard to  understand about this?

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

I'm not saying Roberts isn't the problem. Of course, he's the biggest problem. I'm saying we don't have NCAA talent on last year's roster including a healthy Mason Jr.

Are you actually trying to say that a good coach could have made Malik Boothe a BE PG? Or helped Sean Evans develop faster than he is?

Kennedy had a good year. Horne had a good year. Evans showed improvement.
What this team needs is someone to lead them offensively. Roberts has failed to recruit a player of that caliber. That, in addition to poor coaching is the problem.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:01:39 PM by Poison »

Tha Kid

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
This team could play AWESOME D and score enough points if they had any semblance of an offense or a coach who knew what an x or an o is other than what he signs his letters to Father Harrington thanking him for his 6 figure salary!

Thanks FH, don't worry, the wins will come later!

Love,
Norm

xoxoxoxo
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »
In all seriousness, I really believe this team has enough talent to make the NCAA with the right coaching - assuming the incomers are AVERAGE.

I would agree with you Poison, if you said, given Roberts' track record of poor coaching, we need to have a few breakout newcomers before considering whether the NCAA is a reality.  I'd agree with that.

The newcomers are very important.  I just think a McCaffrey or McKillop would have a shot at getting us there this year.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2009, 01:57:12 PM »
In all seriousness, I really believe this team has enough talent to make the NCAA with the right coaching - assuming the incomers are AVERAGE.

I would agree with you Poison, if you said, given Roberts' track record of poor coaching, we need to have a few breakout newcomers before considering whether the NCAA is a reality.  I'd agree with that.

The newcomers are very important.  I just think a McCaffrey or McKillop would have a shot at getting us there this year.

This team, with Hardy, Lawrence, Stith and Brownlee might have enough talent to dance, but we have no way of knowing how good any of them are.

Last year, we lost our undersized pg to an injury, and we were left with TyShawn Edmonson to run our offense, which clearly he wasn't talented enough to do

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

Of course that's because McCaffrey and McKillop won't be playing a BE schedule this year, right?  ;)

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »

So you think Norm is a pretty good recruiter and could field an NCAA team?

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »
Well the matchups are set for Norm vs McKillop and Norm vs McCaffrey.

This is definitely the most bullets Norm has had in his gun since being here. Lets see what he can do with a couple extra rounds. I think Norm could be pretty creative this year with a bunch of lineups and schemes. Will he? Ehh I don't know.

I do think our guys can be more efficient with more rest. If you put Paris into more of a role player last year he is much more successful. He shot well over 50% inside the arc and I think some of his 3pt opportunities would have went to Mason Jr. if healthy which I'm ok with. We need to see if the guys realize their strengths and focus on them. I think this season comes with more anticipation than we've ever had in the Norm Robert's era (don't jump all over me for saying that).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2009, 02:32:59 PM »

This is definitely the most bullets Norm has had in his gun since being here. Lets see what he can do with a couple extra rounds. I think Norm could be pretty creative this year with a bunch of lineups and schemes. Will he? Ehh I don't know.

I do think our guys can be more efficient with more rest. If you put Paris into more of a role player last year he is much more successful. He shot well over 50% inside the arc and I think some of his 3pt opportunities would have went to Mason Jr. if healthy which I'm ok with. We need to see if the guys realize their strengths and focus on them. I think this season comes with more anticipation than we've ever had in the Norm Robert's era (don't jump all over me for saying that).

I think St Johns beats both Siena and Davidson

Poison

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

It does come with the most anticipation we've seen since Hill's freshman year.
Comes down to our class. Are they BE ready? Will we learn something Saturday afternoon?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:16:18 PM by Poison »

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »
Will we learn something Saturday afternoon?

I'll be learning how good the margaritas are at the pool at the Riviera in Palm Springs.   :D

Poison

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
Is anyone else a bit concerned about sending our basketball team to the strip club capital of north america?

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Is anyone else a bit concerned about sending our basketball team to the strip club capital of north america?

If this was a Jarvis team, I would be plenty concerned

boo3

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »

It was Kevin Clark's team.

LJSA

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »

I think we beat Davidson and lose to Siena by 19.

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2009, 08:52:08 AM »
94.Wichita St
93.Boston College
92.Cornell
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:52:35 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »

I think the Siena game will be the jumpstart- pull away strong 2nd half.
That & St Bonnie were the type of games we were pushing for last year.

Of course we want to win every game,
but I'd rather lose to Siena by 3 than beat NJIT by 15.

My prediction of #82 on 1st page still has life.
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2009, 10:01:19 AM »

Are we playing the Bonnies?

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »
Molloy '71

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »

Along with Steves prediction, a couple more are still alive. Peter,Poision,LJSA,Dave,Jumpinjohnny and the great Baldi's predictions still alive although some are running out 90's.

Any more predictions?

Poison

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2009, 12:48:01 PM »

I bet Grady Reynolds wishes he was going to Montreal.