CHN's top 144

• 202 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: CHN's top 144
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »
I'll jump in here for a second - Poison has a point. Boeheim knows what he's doing.  And in fact, some say he's not the greatest game coach (for example, Calhoun might be better), but he brings in scads of talent.  Every year. His cupboard - like U Conn's - is never bare. Jonny Flynn was fantastic and Devo and Harris were top players.

But consider that their defense simply looked different last year. The players were more interested in turnovers and going back to score. They were great individual scorers, but not necessarily dedicated defenders. What if Boeheim can get his current players to score - including a touted transfer, and Mookie Jones, the league's top center, and Andy Rautins - and play frustrating defense that only allows outside shots late in the shot clock? what if DaShonte Riley can block shots (he can).

Boeheim's been doing this for years. I don't know if the team will make the NCAAs, but Boeheim always has competitive talent.

Also: Florida's backcourt in 2007 was very good.  Lee Humphrey was a killer from outside if he could get his shot off, and Taurean Green was drafted in the second round.  And in college, both were extremely effective players.

Poison

« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »
I'll jump in here for a second - Poison has a point. Boeheim knows what he's doing.  And in fact, some say he's not the greatest game coach (for example, Calhoun might be better), but he brings in scads of talent.  Every year. His cupboard - like U Conn's - is never bare. Jonny Flynn was fantastic and Devo and Harris were top players.

But consider that their defense simply looked different last year. The players were more interested in turnovers and going back to score. They were great individual scorers, but not necessarily dedicated defenders. What if Boeheim can get his current players to score - including a touted transfer, and Mookie Jones, the league's top center, and Andy Rautins - and play frustrating defense that only allows outside shots late in the shot clock? what if DaShonte Riley can block shots (he can).

Boeheim's been doing this for years. I don't know if the team will make the NCAAs, but Boeheim always has competitive talent.

Also: Florida's backcourt in 2007 was very good.  Lee Humphrey was a killer from outside if he could get his shot off, and Taurean Green was drafted in the second round.  And in college, both were extremely effective players.

I like Andy Rautins. He was a much better player than Eric Devondorf. Rautins can shoot it, but he's a great passer, too. Syracuse fans were making fun of him when he showed up on campus, but he's a savvy competitor. If he worked on a floater, he might wind up starting, and excelling.

Guys like Johnson and Jones are prototypical Syracuse players on the zone. Tall guards with long arms. Wasn't Jones a top rated recruit 2 years ago? Maybe he'll step up. They have so many options is scary.

Boeheim, in particular finds a David Cain on the end of his bench almost every year.
I'd like us to find a David Cain. I'd settle for one.

« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2009, 05:15:07 PM »
Baylor  #58
Northern Iowa  #59
Notre Dame  #60
Richmond  #61

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/cincinnati-basketball-preview-50-167197

#50 Cincy

Cahmere Wright not starting? I wonder if Kilpatrick will regret going there, he'll have plenty of time to ponder on the bench

Poison

« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2009, 08:26:16 AM »
I think Cinci placed at 50 is a conservative guess.
They return a lot of talent. Maybe their season end loss to Depaul
is hard to ignore.

« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2009, 08:41:23 AM »
#50: Cincinnati Bearcts

#60: Notre Dame Fighting Irish

#67: Syracuse Orange

#74: St. John's Red Storm

#81: Marquette Golden Eagles

#98: Providence Friars

#114: Rutgers Scarlet Knights

#139: South Florida Bulls

Georgetown should be up soon, either way they are overrated. Seton Hall moving on up

boo3

« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »

Georgetown should be up soon, either way they are overrated. Seton Hall moving on up

Marco,  reading BEB on the prediction thread,  you have us LOSING to G'town?  You must have made an error.  thought i'd let you know .  I mean, we beat them 2x last year! 

« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:26 PM »

Marco,  reading BEB on the prediction thread,  you have us LOSING to G'town?  You must have made an error.  thought i'd let you know .  I mean, we beat them 2x last year!

YA I gave the Hoyas the W, theyre at home and St Johns will be do for a letdown loss(the 1st) by than. Besides, I think Chris Wright will score 35 points and have 12 assists ::)

« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »

« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2009, 02:44:08 PM »
No way is Pitt better than Seton Hall

Poison

« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2009, 03:25:30 PM »

How do we know that? Pitt seems to usually develop stars slowly. That system has worked for them. Harvey is a senior, and for all the hype over him choosing the Hall over SJU, he's got nothing to show for it but the same garbage wins we have.

« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »

How do we know that? Pitt seems to usually develop stars slowly. That system has worked for them. Harvey is a senior, and for all the hype over him choosing the Hall over SJU, he's got nothing to show for it but the same garbage wins we have.

Its opinion of course, Pitt has some injuries and lost alot of talent

« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2009, 05:09:41 PM »

Its opinion of course, Pitt has some injuries and lost alot of talent
Watch for Westchester's Dante Taylor
By no means will he, Zanna, or Patterson be able to make up for their losses, but Taylor may have more of an impact than Greg Monroe did as a freshman for Stubby Thompson and the Hoyas.

« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:25 AM »

Poison

« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2009, 08:00:49 AM »
where's the blue and gold?

« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2009, 09:18:17 AM »
where's the blue and gold?

blue and gold?

Poison

« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
Hofstra

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »
Hofstra's about 155 or so, I'd bet.

Poison

« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
many say they have the CAA POY in Charles Jenkins.
Not sure what else they have, but they were pretty good last year.

Why the drop off?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »
Greg Washington is pretty good.

But the rest of the Hofstra guys can't shoot fish in a barrel.  Their best wins were Manhattan and East Tennessee State.  They won 21 against an iffy schedule, and the whole "Pecora needs an extension" or "Pecora should be coach at St. John's" narrative doesn't hold up to scrutiny, especially based on last year. 

Actually I take that back, slightly - their defense was good.  but they could not score.  Watching their game was watching Charles Jenkins and some dudes from Lefrak City's playgrounds.