Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies
Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
Wow Nate Blue really criticizing Norm.  Seems like night and day to Lavin the second time around. 

Also good to see Harkless has talked to Cook.

« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Yea I'm not a fan of bashing Norm now but what he's saying is true. Not all of it is Norm's fault though the school is fully on board with whatever Lavin says. It's obviously working.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »
I'm with you Dave, it's like kicking a man while he's down, but it is good insight to the positives that Lavin is bringing to the program. 

I wonder what Big East Coach said this one...Per the Johnnyjungle Twitter

"We got a threat from a Big East coach yesterday that if Mo committed to SJU he would be double and triple teamed on a team of nobodies"
3 minutes ago via ÃœberTwitter
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:40:00 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
Isn't Nate tight with Norm?  I thought that was why we were considered in the 1st place, kind of as a favor to their friendship.  He trusted Norm originally with Charlie V.  Weird how he's laying the wood to him right now, but maybe he's just trying to build up the program.

Poison

« Reply #164 on: August 31, 2010, 04:15:11 PM »
Dwayne Polee and Maurice Harkless are going to open the floodgates. Lavin made a major statement by getting Harkless.

In one summer, he's shown everyone that he can go to California and take the player back to NY with him, and still protect his own backyard.

Maurice Harkless could be the biggest star here since Ron Artest. I'd love to know number he intends on wearing so I can buy a shirt or jersey like item.

« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2010, 04:24:41 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/QCook323/status/22645861908[/tweet]
 ;)

« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »
QCook323 Congrats to my bro @moe_harkless for committing to St. Johns!!! RiP DAD!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #167 on: August 31, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
Hopefully Quinn Cook is next!
"I drink and I know things"

sjd8886

« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
top 50 recruit de-commits from uconn, and gets scooped up by st johns....paybacks a bitch calhoun...hope doug wiggins was worth it   STEVE LAVIN FTW    now whos next :)

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
Good stuff...welcome aboard Mo!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
i was looking back on the thread and saw this:

It would be nice to see a kid schun UConn and land at St. John's

well...here's the first of hopefully many.

boo3

« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
Hopefully Quinn Cook is next!

Did Cook blow out his knee?

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »
New St. John's coach Steve Lavin and his staff have landed their first major New York City recruit. Maurice Harkless, who starred for Forest Hills High in Queens, is announcing Tuesday that he will accept a scholarship and play for the Red Storm.

The 6-6 swingman announced in June that he'd chosen UConn over Kentucky, but soon after re-opened his recruiting. Programs from all over the country tried to get involved including the likes of Oregon, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Arizona and Florida. The 6-6 swingman wanted to stay close to home and ultimately chose the Red Storm over Maryland and Rutgers.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/08/31/2010-08-31_forest_hills_harkless_will_join_lavin_at_sju.html#ixzz0yEeEmpQG

« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »
St. John’s is back in the city’s tangled recruiting game, and the Red Storm are there with a cool and confident kid who lives just minutes from the school’s Queens campus.

Maurice Harkless, a 6-foot-8 wing who starred at Forest Hills High School and will attend South Kent (Conn.) prep school this fall, verbally committed to new coach Steve Lavin on Monday night and made an announcement Tuesday. He chose St. John’s over Maryland, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Oregon and Florida.

“It’s a really good opportunity with a new coach,” Harkless told The Post at a media gathering in front of Madison Square Garden. “He’s hungry, I’m hungry. We want to put New York City back on the map.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/top_recruit_maurice_harkless_will_Qx2NkRTdMDHahLAzOTiesN#ixzz0yEj2Ct3t

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/01/sports/ncaabasketball/01storm.html

Outside Madison Square Garden, dozens of preteen girls showed up Tuesday in advance of Justin Bieber’s concert. They shrieked for his heart, sang his songs and chanted his name.

Barely noticed, Maurice Harkless, all 6 feet 6 inches of him, slouched against a wall underneath the Garden’s marquee. He was there for an announcement that he would became St. John’s first major commitment from New York City for the first-year coach Steve Lavin.

At one point, a woman with fliers approached and asked Harkless if he wanted to gain skills at a technical college to enrich his future. He grinned.

“No,” he said. “I’m good.”

Wods317

« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2010, 10:16:43 PM »
"There's going to be a lot of help coming to SJU in the next few weeks. I won't tip my hat, but there's more coming soon" -nate blue

I saw this on the twitter link you posted earlier and maybe I missed someone mentioning it but this seems like more big news that more recruits r coming our way.

Poison

« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »
So, is Harkless 6'6 or 6'8?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
Isn't Nate tight with Norm?  I thought that was why we were considered in the 1st place, kind of as a favor to their friendship.  He trusted Norm originally with Charlie V.  Weird how he's laying the wood to him right now, but maybe he's just trying to build up the program.
On Twitter, a couple of weeks ago, he was bashing Norm re: Charlie and Russ Robinson, basically saying that Norm made his reputation on those two kids as a NY recruiter.

kjd01067

« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=basketball_recruiting&id=5516892&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmens-college-basketball%2fblog%3fname%3dbasketball_recruiting%26id%3d5516892

Steve Lavin did a great job bringing in local product and ESPNU 100 small forward Maurice Harkless (Queens, N.Y./South Kent), who is St. John's only 2011 recruit.

The former UConn commit has a tremendous skill set, high-level athleticism and is a great finisher. Harkless has excellent body control and is at his best in transition as the recipient. The 6-foot-6, 200-pounder also showed off his good mid-range shot and capable 3-point stroke at the Fab 48 in Las Vegas, where he led the New York Panthers to the semifinals and was named to the all-tournament team.

He is currently ranked No. 81 in the country, but is poised to move up the when the new rankings are released on Friday. Harkless is just scratching the surface of his potential and he will be a factor in the Big East, especially if he can make sure to keep his motor going throughout games.

« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/22824418915[/tweet]
 :coolsmiley:

One of the best in the business Paul Biancardi will be on @ESPNU today @ 5 PM talking about @stj_basketball commit Maurice Harkless and more
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:37:27 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »