Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 504 replies
Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #300 on: May 26, 2011, 08:10:19 PM »
Did all this Harkless AAU stuff come out in the papers this week AFTER Fordham wrote the post on JJ the other day asking about Harkless/Hicks after the whole MOMO thing. Maybe it was on the MOMO thread I think.

If so I guess these writers are reading this site now for info. Also then I blame Fordham for stirring all this up. Just kidding :)
A good writer keeps track of the message boards. That's where loose lips spill rumors. So of course they're reading. Just as the players/ players' families read. This has come up on the sites a few times...

And don't blame Fordham. As I mentioned, someone directly tweeted the question about Harkless/ Hicks to Zags.

Also, nice to see you back, Choz.

If you recall on Redmen.com a few years ago Lawmanfan posted something that claimed to be from BE Commish Mike Tranghese and Dick Weiss ever so on top of the times wrote about it as if it really happened.

That was one of the funniest things that ever happened !! Classic Lawman post and the fact that it was picked up by Weiss multiplied the funny factor by 100

« Reply #301 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »
Did all this Harkless AAU stuff come out in the papers this week AFTER Fordham wrote the post on JJ the other day asking about Harkless/Hicks after the whole MOMO thing. Maybe it was on the MOMO thread I think.

If so I guess these writers are reading this site now for info. Also then I blame Fordham for stirring all this up. Just kidding :)
A good writer keeps track of the message boards. That's where loose lips spill rumors. So of course they're reading. Just as the players/ players' families read. This has come up on the sites a few times...

And don't blame Fordham. As I mentioned, someone directly tweeted the question about Harkless/ Hicks to Zags.

Also, nice to see you back, Choz.

If you recall on Redmen.com a few years ago Lawmanfan posted something that claimed to be from BE Commish Mike Tranghese and Dick Weiss ever so on top of the times wrote about it as if it really happened.

I have to try and find the original Hoops piece but here is the article he wrote the next day after he screwed up with Lawman's classic

BY DICK WEISS

We know there are some strong feelings about the state of St. John's basketball out there, but one post on Redmen.com has gone too far, falsely attributing the following quotes to Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese:

"I think that our conference is the strongest in the country, bar none. Now, I watched St. John's at Duke a couple of days ago, and our league did not put its best foot forward in that game. As I've said before, you cannot hire a career assistant in our league and hope to survive. I have had that conversation with officials at several of our league members, and they understand that there are certain requirements to participate in Big East basketball.

"Our BCS football members are fully familiar with the requirements that they must meet in order to continue to participate in the league. We have facilities requirements, attendance requirements, and competition requirements for football participation, and there is precedent for removing teams that do not meet our requirements.

"There is no reason why a similar standard cannot or should not be applied from a basketball perspective. Certainly we honor and respect those programs that have been with us since the time the league started. However, as a league we have to maintain certain standards and we expect our member institutions to conform their behavior to those standards. If a particular institution is out of compliance with all applicable league standards, longevity of membership does not trump lack of compliance."

The post was thankfully, eventually pulled, but this was way over the line. Tranghese is the best, most caring, principled commissioner of any conference in the country and has always made it a point to never publicly get involved in league politics.

No wonder so many programs are reluctant to give credentials to Web sites. Redmen.com has always been better than that, serving as an effective vehicle for passionate fans to share their ideas about St. John's basketball. But they have to do a better job monitoring irresponsible posts like this one in the future.

« Reply #302 on: May 26, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
Can't take the foolishness no more.

And so this brother rise from the darkness to take on the Forces Of The False.

If y'all dont know what good Mo done so far, then y'all really dont follow the program like y'all claim. Lay it down on y'all sorry selves.

Who you think kept two players from mutinizing last year?
Who you think closed on two recruits? (Praise to Lavin, Rico, MD and AHF no doubt, but check the on campus visit).
Who you think made all them SF brothers at ease when two (maybe more) express they concern bout bein recruited over?
And who you think is layin the foundation for the NYC pipeline?

Glad I aint in the foxhole wit some y'all. Most successful times in a decade and y'all turnin on your own lickety-split. Shameful in the most extreme.

Oh yeah, I'm back.

-Choz4Life

Thanks for the great post. Moe Hicks is a tremendous asset to the program and I hope he is here for many years. 

« Reply #303 on: May 26, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
I will be sure to ask the opinion of some posters on this board before I pose a question?? LOL!!

And I believe it was discussed on redmen.com in relation to both Hicks and the fact that we were not an option for Kadeem Jack.

« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
I will be sure to ask the opinion of some posters on this board before I pose a question?? LOL!!

And I believe it was discussed on redmen.com in relation to both Hicks and the fact that we were not an option for Kadeem Jack.

You're correct, it was.
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »

And my point was I don't remember how it was resolved in terms of why Harkless is/would not be covered under the rule.  And I think we all assumed that when SJU pursued him and he signed that SJU must have resolved any lingering issues.  Perhaps they thought they did but the Momo situation sort of spooked them and so they are just dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's.

And hopefully Hicks giving the statement to the NCAA will put this matter to bed.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/26/st-johns-hicks-gave-statement-to-ncaa/#more-53000

« Reply #306 on: May 26, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »
Hicks is a really good basketball coach. Although he is not in an assistant role he's still a very good basketball mind in the coaches room before/after practice.

I'll tell ya what too the Gauchos blow without him. That's not 100% reflective of him not being there as New Heights (Kimani Young's program) has really took a bite out of the talent pool.

Tony Chiles and Rico Hines are the guys who are guys out on the front line recruiting. Everyone LOVES them!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #307 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

And my point was I don't remember how it was resolved in terms of why Harkless is/would not be covered under the rule.  And I think we all assumed that when SJU pursued him and he signed that SJU must have resolved any lingering issues.  Perhaps they thought they did but the Momo situation sort of spooked them and so they are just dotting all the i's and crossing all the t's.

And hopefully Hicks giving the statement to the NCAA will put this matter to bed.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/26/st-johns-hicks-gave-statement-to-ncaa/#more-53000

That article doesnt exactly give me the warm and fuzzies.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #308 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
Zags needs to put down the gasoline. This really shouldn't even be news
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #309 on: May 26, 2011, 10:38:41 PM »
Yes this all makes sense.  A school like Ohio State knowingly cheats, and its coach lies about it, and yet gets to have their players participate in a BCS bowl game.  So what they are suspended for a 4-6 games this year.  The school made a fortune last year.  And Ohio St.'s crooked AD is the head of the NCAA selection committee. 

And yet, the NCAA (National Communist Alliance Authority) is sniffing around SJU to make certain rules were followed with Harkless.  OK, sure, makes sense. 

I am confident this will be a non issue soon.  But the fact this is even on the radar is a joke.  How great would it be to crap on the NCAA and all the football schools one day by winning a national title?  Of course, the football schools could always force a rule change during the game to create a best two out of three final, (with the next two games being on their home court of course).

To add, UCONN is found guilty of recruiting violations and is still allowed to play in the NCAA tourney. But a recruit plays a handful of games with a team and he maybe ineligible.

Sure sounds like the NCAA has some Ivy leauge scholars working for them!

« Reply #310 on: May 26, 2011, 10:47:28 PM »
The rule, if applied in this case, deserves to face a legal challenge!

redslope

« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
Hicks is a really good basketball coach. Although he is not in an assistant role he's still a very good basketball mind in the coaches room before/after practice.

I'll tell ya what too the Gauchos blow without him. That's not 100% reflective of him not being there as New Heights (Kimani Young's program) has really took a bite out of the talent pool.

Tony Chiles and Rico Hines are the guys who are guys out on the front line recruiting. Everyone LOVES them!

Agree and this is why Hicks will be the next assistant coach at St. John's.  One of our Assistants is going to be scooped up after the next season and his replacement is already on board.

« Reply #312 on: May 27, 2011, 01:07:08 AM »

Seriously - WTF is going on with Zags?  Who pissed in his cornflakes?

Read that post from Choz again about Coach Hicks...He has already added tremendous value to the program and will only do more going forward, hopefully for many many years...As has been mentioned, he is an outstanding basketball coach...And from all accounts, he's an even better person

« Reply #313 on: May 27, 2011, 07:27:05 AM »

Choz- you are probably the best person to ask this so how many times or how long did Harkless play for the Gauchos?
[/quote]

Nah bre. Been on a sabbatical upstate for almost a year. Just gettin back into the scene. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

MCNPA

« Reply #314 on: May 27, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »
Can't take the foolishness no more.

And so this brother rise from the darkness to take on the Forces Of The False.

If y'all dont know what good Mo done so far, then y'all really dont follow the program like y'all claim. Lay it down on y'all sorry selves.

Who you think kept two players from mutinizing last year?
Who you think closed on two recruits? (Praise to Lavin, Rico, MD and AHF no doubt, but check the on campus visit).
Who you think made all them SF brothers at ease when two (maybe more) express they concern bout bein recruited over?
And who you think is layin the foundation for the NYC pipeline?

Glad I aint in the foxhole wit some y'all. Most successful times in a decade and y'all turnin on your own lickety-split. Shameful in the most extreme.

Oh yeah, I'm back.

-Choz4Life

Why is it shameful that people question what is going on?  Not hating on Hicks in the least.  At face value, the average person doesn't know this stuff.  Forgive me, I missed the conference call with Lavin and the staff last week explaining Hick's importance to the program...   ::)  Nobody is turning on anybody.  It just seems we're being dragged through the mud a bit with Momo, Harkless and Hicks is at the forefront lately.  The average fan that isn't privy is going to question it.  I'm not connected to this stuff as much as I used to be when I was younger.  I really don't see the issue with fans wondering if it was worthwhile when reading this type of stuff.

I thought it was much ado about nothing until yesterday, but the fact that our first major recruit here and one of our biggest is being scrutinized by the NCAA enough that Hicks has to make a statement.  I think the crazy ones are the people that aren't concerned at least a little and aren't questioning this hire and it's relationship to our recruits and player.  Let me ask everybody a question.  For argument sake, if by some chance we lose Harkless because of this, is everybody still going to be celebrating the hire??
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:49:27 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #315 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »

Seriously - WTF is going on with Zags?  Who pissed in his cornflakes?

Are you saying he should not have reported the Hicks statement?

Relax, the headline does sound more attention grabbing then it probably should.  I can tell you no one believes this will end with anything less then Harkless suiting up for SJU.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:58:16 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
Why is it shameful that people question what is going on?  Not hating on Hicks in the least.  At face value, the average person doesn't know this stuff.  Forgive me, I missed the conference call with Lavin and the staff last week explaining Hick's importance to the program...   ::)  Nobody is turning on anybody.  It just seems we're being dragged through the mud a bit with Momo, Harkless and Hicks is at the forefront lately.  The average fan that isn't privy is going to question it.  I'm not connected to this stuff as much as I used to be when I was younger.  I really don't see the issue with fans wondering if it was worthwhile when reading this type of stuff.

I thought it was much ado about nothing until yesterday, but the fact that our first major recruit here and one of our biggest is being scrutinized by the NCAA enough that Hicks has to make a statement.  I think the crazy ones are the people that aren't concerned at least a little and aren't questioning this hire and it's relationship to our recruits and player.  Let me ask everybody a question.  For argument sake, if by some chance we lose Harkless because of this, is everybody still going to be celebrating the hire??

The only people that find Hicks/Harkless situation to be a problem are the headline readers.  Read the details and you realize there is not an issue. Our compliance department is extra careful now after our past troubles.  Comments like...."It's time for Hicks to go" are ridiculous.  First, as other posters have said he hasn't cost us a recruit until Momo showed up on the radar.  And I'm wondering if the staff isn't using that as an excuse to not take him(second thoughts).  Second, Lavin obviously thought enough of Hicks to hire him knowing the rule.  Third, to let him go now when the rule no longer applies to Hicks(because we are now at the point where the 2 year window is closed) makes no sense. 

With all that said it is very reasonable to question the people posting Hicks should go essentially based solely on Momo Jones.  You may not know all that Hicks has done for the staff(I don't either) but you should know his credentials.  He's overqualified for the basketball operations position and we are lucky to have him.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

ras

« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
Lavin is an LA guy. Hicks has NY basketball connections and is highly regarded.

« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »
Lavin is an LA guy. Hicks has NY basketball connections and is highly regarded.
.....and?

« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »
Lavin is a Bay Area guy and the days of subway token recruiting are over.