• 504 replies

Re: Maurice Harkless - SF - South Kent - Forest Hills, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2011, 04:22:19 PM »
Very Happy. For him. So looking forward to seeing him in a St John's uniform

Moose

« Reply #422 on: July 22, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
Zach Braziller and Lenn Robbins story:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/ncaa_clears_harkless_to_play_for_rAymjaxH1mAbnS34xmBavK

Stupid NY Post only shows editorial content on iPad if you download their app. Very Dolanesque with Newsday. Dumb.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #423 on: July 22, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
i think i'm the only one who suggested mo make other arrangements if his presence meant the team would lose key players.

it's always good to see things work out for the better!

I said it too.  I don't think it was unreasonable.  The NCAA took until almost August to clear a kid that committed to us LAST summer.  I love having Mo Hicks, but not if we were going to lose Harkless.  I don't think any apologies are needed.  The name of the game is getting us back on track and winning games.  If we lost the biggest local recruit because of a hire, it would have been quite damaging.
Late July not really bad considering we are talking about the  NCAA. I recall numerous instances where they didn't clear a kid until well after the season started.

Marillac

« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »
Love this quote from Harkless: 

"I just can't wait to get in there and officially get in school."

« Reply #425 on: July 23, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
Nothing to add except....I'm happy this "investigation" or whatever you want to call it is finally done. It's ridiculous this was needed in the first place, but now this young man can relax and do his thing.   

« Reply #426 on: July 23, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
I think the NCAA should be investigated for wasting resources on garbage like this while Stevie Wonder could find  violations at half the programs in the country.  They have no accountability to anyone and that's ridiculous.

Marillac

« Reply #427 on: July 23, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »
Having the young man turn over his phone records was extremely invasive and I don't see why it was relevant.  He played with the Choz three times and those teams weren't coached by Mo.  The NCAA should be busy slapping Ohio State on the wrist for real serious stuff not harassing a good student like Harkless.

« Reply #428 on: July 24, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
Having the young man turn over his phone records was extremely invasive and I don't see why it was relevant.  He played with the Choz three times and those teams weren't coached by Mo.  The NCAA should be busy slapping Ohio State on the wrist for real serious stuff not harassing a good student like Harkless.
Yeah when you look at the kids we've been able to get from everywhere with no influence by Moe Hicks this investigation looks totally stupid.  A guy like Hicks has had incidental contact with plenty of prospects.  To deny them
an opportunity to play at SJU just because he took a job here borders on illegal.  Now if we had hired a family member that's a different story.  I believe this rule would be overturned if anyone contested it outside the NCAA's scope of authority.

« Reply #429 on: July 24, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
Yeah when you look at the kids we've been able to get from everywhere with no influence by Moe Hicks this investigation looks totally stupid.  A guy like Hicks has had incidental contact with plenty of prospects.  To deny them
an opportunity to play at SJU just because he took a job here borders on illegal.  Now if we had hired a family member that's a different story.  I believe this rule would be overturned if anyone contested it outside the NCAA's scope of authority.

Signing 9 top kids like Lavin has done, probably throws up some red flags. Wouldnt surprise me if the NCAA keeps a close watch on SJU hoops. Meanwhile, guys like Calipari run rampant

« Reply #430 on: July 25, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
NYC will always be a fishbowl now that Roberts is gone.  Works both ways though for kids looking to be seen.  New York's BE franchise SHOULD be on top just as the Knicks should.  Mismanagement can be very expensive.

dR3w

« Reply #431 on: July 25, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
Signing 9 top kids like Lavin has done, probably throws up some red flags. Wouldnt surprise me if the NCAA keeps a close watch on SJU hoops. Meanwhile, guys like Calipari run rampant

Trying not to go to far off topic, but do you think the NCAA actively pursues investigation on their own?  I have never seen or heard any evidence of this.  I think they rely on compliance offices, and other people who raise issues with them.  I always wondered if someone like Reggie Bush was able to cheat, when he was ranked by some as the number 1 HS prospect in the country.  If they aren't looking at the big guys, then who are they looking at.  I am just wondering if they really have an active investigation team, or is everything done through the compliance offices?  Or maybe the line is too blurry.

How did the situation with Harkless go? I remember hearing people were tweeting about it, after the MoMo problem arose.  So did StJ find out and report the issue to the NCAA or did they come around after hearing about this and inquire with StJ?

Moose

« Reply #432 on: July 25, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »

Trying not to go to far off topic, but do you think the NCAA actively pursues investigation on their own?  I have never seen or heard any evidence of this.  I think they rely on compliance offices, and other people who raise issues with them.  I always wondered if someone like Reggie Bush was able to cheat, when he was ranked by some as the number 1 HS prospect in the country.  If they aren't looking at the big guys, then who are they looking at.  I am just wondering if they really have an active investigation team, or is everything done through the compliance offices?  Or maybe the line is too blurry.

How did the situation with Harkless go? I remember hearing people were tweeting about it, after the MoMo problem arose.  So did StJ find out and report the issue to the NCAA or did they come around after hearing about this and inquire with StJ?

Correct. The NCAA doesnt look around unless they get tipped off. They have like 30 agents to handle every school in every sport. For every reason this system or process is good, it's just as bad.

MCNPA

« Reply #433 on: August 02, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
I believe that Mo Harkless and Amir Garrett said they're both going down to play in the Kingdome Tourney this weekend in Harlem.

MCNPA

« Reply #434 on: August 05, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
instagr.am/p/JcjBP

« Reply #435 on: August 05, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
instagr.am/p/JcjBP

So far, #4 for Mo and #11 for D'Angelo.

TheVig

« Reply #436 on: August 06, 2011, 09:39:36 AM »
Phil Greene is #1 he posted it on his FB page the other day

Marillac

« Reply #437 on: August 06, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »

The familar #4 for Harkless...excellent.
I love the confidence with Greene going for #1 !  What a complement he'll be to Nuri and Harrison with his defense and athleticism.  It's mind-blowing that he is our lowest rated recruit.  If this was a few years ago we'd all be posting about him as if he's a program-changer.

crgreen

« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2011, 03:45:20 PM »

The familar #4 for Harkless...excellent.
I love the confidence with Greene going for #1 !  What a complement he'll be to Nuri and Harrison with his defense and athleticism.  It's mind-blowing that he is our lowest rated recruit.  If this was a few years ago we'd all be posting about him as if he's a program-changer.

Three years ago he would have BEEN a program changer.

Moose

« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
I would think most of the guys can get whatever numbers they want considering Stith is only returning player.  I've seen pretty much all the recruits play in person and only conflict is Pelle wore 4 like Harkless.  So Pelle would be looking for new number.

Greene 1
Harkless 4
Sampson 14
DeAngelo 11
Gift 34
Pelle ?
Amir 22
Dom 23
Nuri ? (I thought he wore like 10 or 12 in the games I watched online)