Rob Thomas on Outside the Lines

• 41 replies
Re: Rob Thomas on Outside the Lines
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »
The young man is a great story and I wish him the best in everything he does but I do think he is going to be one of the kids that that sees their minutes diminish significanly next season.

What makes you say that Thomas will play less?

I would agree with PMG. If Brownlee isn't more of a talent than Thomas why recruit him in the first place? Then again by past history I wouldn't be shocked the other way around either.

We recruited TyShawn Edmonson and Quincy Roberts, and neither were more talented than Cavatiao and Wright.

The why is because it's our style.

Fair point, though I think Quincy will be a productive four year player, however they both came in as frosh, not juniors like Brownlee (and Hardy) and without any college game experience.

Precisely what I was thinking.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
The young man is a great story and I wish him the best in everything he does but I do think he is going to be one of the kids that that sees their minutes diminish significanly next season.

I would agree with PMG. If Brownlee isn't more of a talent than Thomas why recruit him in the first place? Then again by past history I wouldn't be shocked the other way around either.

We recruited TyShawn Edmonson and Quincy Roberts, and neither were more talented than Cavatiao and Wright.

Fair point, though I think Quincy will be a productive four year player, however they both came in as frosh, not juniors like Brownlee (and Hardy) and without any college game experience.

We'll see about Quincy. I thought he guarded the point guard position much better than he played it.

In addition, I suppose we'll see how Larry Wright does too. Since Quincy basically took over his minutes.

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »

We'll see about Quincy. I thought he guarded the point guard position much better than he played it.

In addition, I suppose we'll see how Larry Wright does too. Since Quincy basically took over his minutes.

If Larry Wright had stayed at St Johns, I think he would be the odd man out this year and would spend his senior season playing sparingly.

As for those who think Rob Thomas' minutes will be cut down, what kind of rotation do you see Norm having? If his minutes are geting cut, I would think Norm will be going with the smaller lineup

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »
Dont think his mins gonna be cut 'less Rob is still in bad shape, which I dont see.

Seriously yo, the brother is the only one wit a touch round the basket. Unless Justin step up, Rob is the only low post threat y'all got. And if y'all come at me wit Sean Evans, I'll say this: Sean is still a bull in a shinwa shop. He all effort (respect), but he aint got the touch or the moves.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
Dont think his mins gonna be cut 'less Rob is still in bad shape, which I dont see.

Seriously yo, the brother is the only one wit a touch round the basket. Unless Justin step up, Rob is the only low post threat y'all got. And if y'all come at me wit Sean Evans, I'll say this: Sean is still a bull in a shinwa shop. He all effort (respect), but he aint got the touch or the moves.

Choz, I think you are right on point with your assesment of Rob's (and Sean Evans') game but I don't have faith in Norm to put his skills to good use.

Also, Rob is NEVER in good shape and it has been an issue for him since high school.

And...  he is just an awful defender. He is too slow to cover most 3's and too small to match up against stronger 4's. I think you will see a majority of the front court minutes going to Burrell, Evans, Mason & Coker...  Brownlee will be fighting with Thomas for scrap minutes. The shame of it all is that if he never got hurt he might be the best player on the team right now.,

If Norm decides to use a smaller lineup I think you will see Mason, right or wrong, being used at the 4 spot.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »

Thomas has the highest basketball IQ in the frontcourt.
Evans, whom I still think has the potential to drop 20 and 12,
has a rather low one.

If Thomas continues to work hard, and get in better shape, he might start over Evans,
or at least find himself on the court at the end of games, like he did against Georgetown.

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
Rob been workin real hard over the summer.

Dont mean no disrepct to Sean Evans, but I aint ever see him droppin 20 a game. Least not wit a 50 percent FT avg.

Brother may be the strongest big in the BE this year tho, now that DeJuan is gone.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 11:30:42 AM »
Well I don't see Sean Evans dropping 20 a game either but I do think he can average 14-15 points. He did average 10ppg last season. He is a scorer in transition and off the garbage/hustle points which is totally fine. He really isn't a low post or shooting threat so he'll never be a focal point in an offense.

Even if Sean made half of the FT he missed last season that would have bumped his scoring average to up to almost 12ppg.

Foad

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »

Seriously yo, the brother is the only one wit a touch round the basket. Unless Justin step up, Rob is the only low post threat y'all got.

Agree. Besides which RT only played 13 mpg last year. It'd be hard to cut that back. In those 13 he averaged ~ the same number of points and rebounds as Burrell and Boothe did in twice as many. His 6 points and 3 rebounds is about 16 and 10 over 35 minutes, which is better than anyone else's numbers. Not saying he's physically able to sustain it, but the talent's shirley there.

OTOH there's 50+ mpg from last year belonging to Roberts, Edmundson, Coker, TJ and Waite to be divided up. If 25 or 30 of those go to Mason and Hardy's as advertised, I see Q Roberts and Omari L probably getting the short end of the stick.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »

Seriously yo, the brother is the only one wit a touch round the basket. Unless Justin step up, Rob is the only low post threat y'all got.

Agree. Besides which RT only played 13 mpg last year. It'd be hard to cut that back. In those 13 he averaged ~ the same number of points and rebounds as Burrell and Boothe did in twice as many. His 6 points and 3 rebounds is about 16 and 10 over 35 minutes, which is better than anyone else's numbers. Not saying he's physically able to sustain it, but the talent's shirley there.

OTOH there's 50+ mpg from last year belonging to Roberts, Edmundson, Coker, TJ and Waite to be divided up. If 25 or 30 of those go to Mason and Hardy's as advertised, I see

Q Roberts and Omari L probably getting the short end of the stick.

Exactly. Thomas' production was needed to win the few games that we did.
Burrell and Evans both had games where they just disappeared.

I still think that with the right kind of improvement, Evans could make a big leap offensively. He already made a huge jump from his freshman season.

We'll see how hard Evans is working on the fundamentals of the game.
If he gets those down, look out. He could very well be one of the best players
in the conference.

Still, a big if.

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »

That's probably because he's not a PG but I'm no expert.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »

What do you mean probably?

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »

What do you mean probably?

Forgot the sarcastic rolly eyes.

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »
...may be the strongest big in the BE this year tho, now that DeJuan is gone.
These may be the most encouraging words I've heard in the off-season.
Rob reminds me a little of Charles Oakley in terms of the intangibles. He knows the game and uses what he knows when he's out there.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
...may be the strongest big in the BE this year tho, now that DeJuan is gone.
These may be the most encouraging words I've heard in the off-season.
Rob reminds me a little of Charles Oakley in terms of the intangibles. He knows the game and uses what he knows when he's out there.

Dont mean no disrepct to Sean Evans, but I aint ever see him droppin 20 a game. Least not wit a 50 percent FT avg.

Brother [Evans] may be the strongest big in the BE this year tho, now that DeJuan is gone

kob24

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 10:50:56 PM »
onauaku from the cuse is the strongest big

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 03:39:40 PM »

By a country mile.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 09:12:46 AM »

Both players have the same problem. They can't convert free throws.

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:34:31 PM by Dave »

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
Great to see Rob on the front page of ESPN Hoops section, even if it's the offseason. The piece was nice, he sounds like such a good kid who has been through hell and back again!

Go Rob, were all pulling for you!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/