Stormfest 2009

• 69 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Stormfest 2009
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 03:53:25 PM »
Thank you Dave, there is more space for events to take place, people to move around and other activities.
Is there buzz on campus about this?
Have they done a good job of promoting the event on campus?

does a bear sh!t on a toilet?

I mean I have no personal knowledge but while I was there the school was HORRRRRRIBLE about advertising.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:54:02 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
Thank you Dave, there is more space for events to take place, people to move around and other activities.
Is there buzz on campus about this?
Have they done a good job of promoting the event on campus?

does a bear sh!t on a toilet?

I mean I have no personal knowledge but while I was there the school was HORRRRRRIBLE about advertising.

The only promotion I have seen is a few posters and yesterday the team was standing outside of the dining hall and people were handing flyers out to passer-by's.

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 12:35:11 PM »
I only lived in the dorms freshman year, but I know advertising gets done in the dorms. If you walk around campus you might not see much, but believe me everyone who dorms knows about the events on campus. The rest of the advertising is usually some flyers hung up on bulliten boards, and most of the advertising outside of the residence village is in marillac, which is where most of the commuters hang out.

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 12:59:59 PM »
Personally putting up flyers next to 50 other flyers isn't good advertising in my opinion. It all gets lost in the shuffle.

Also putting out 1 flyer isn't enough. If you do flyers they should change it on a weekly basis.

2 weeks till the madness begins....

1 week....

3 days....

Something to this nature.

-They could paint the windows of Montgoris.

-Have the band play outside of Marillac a few days prior.

-Make announcements at the soccer games.

-Have public safety distribute handouts as you check into dorm.

-Coordinate with Resident life and have floor meetings with RA to announce event.

I just brainstormed these on the fly typing this post and none of this stuff was done in my 4 years at the school. There needs to be more effort on all fronts to promote these events. St. John's needs to realize all the channels they have at the school and start using them. Everyone needs to get on board to promote change.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
No doubt.
Then blast a daily e-mail to all them students counting down the days to the tipof .
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »
Personally putting up flyers next to 50 other flyers isn't good advertising in my opinion. It all gets lost in the shuffle.

Also putting out 1 flyer isn't enough. If you do flyers they should change it on a weekly basis.

1 week....

3 days....

-Coordinate with Resident life and have floor meetings with RA to announce event.

I just brainstormed these on the fly typing this post and none of this stuff was done in my 4 years at the school. There needs to be more effort on all fronts to promote these events. St. John's needs to realize all the channels they have at the school and start using them. Everyone needs to get on board to promote change.
Not that it is in any way your responsibility, but have you talked with the athletic department  about getting more proactive and creative?

I hope it's relatively packed and fun for the sake of the recruits that you previously mentioned.

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »
Without getting into much detail they aren't as open with me as I'd like them to be. Generally this is how things go with everything.... I reach out to one person and they tell me to talk to a 2nd person, the 2nd person then tells me to talk to a 3rd person, and the 3rd person either never gets back to me or brings me full circle and tells me to talk to the first person I spoke with. I'm not surprised though because thats the reason I started Johnny Jungle in the first place because no one stepped up to the plate.

When I was President for my building for residence life I had to go to 5 people to get a Ping Pong table in the lounge. By the time all the paperwork was processed the year was over and we no longer lived in the building. This is how things go.

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »
I would hope they would embrace and support you, rather than give you the run around, but, at this point, it's not surprising. Hopefully, the next AD will be more open to your input.

As for the ping pong table, that's a frustrating, but an excellent example of bureaucracy run amok.

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 03:18:55 PM »

1 week....

3 days....

I'm not arguing with you dave, i agree they could do more, but they have announced it at the last 2 soccer games, they do have things when you walk into the dorms, the past 2 days they've placed the little flyers on the windshield of everyone who parks on campus, and idk about this year, but i know last year they went to every dorm building with some players and coaches and talked about the upcoming stormfest

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
No doubt.
Then blast a daily e-mail to all them students counting down the days to the tipof .

They havent sent daily emails, but they are sending emails to all the students about the stormfest...also, st johns is very active with their twitter and facebook accounts, and have done a great job getting students to follow them on one or both of those websites, so believe me the word is out about stormfest

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:39 PM »

1 week....

3 days....

I'm not arguing with you dave, i agree they could do more, but they have announced it at the last 2 soccer games, they do have things when you walk into the dorms, the past 2 days they've placed the little flyers on the windshield of everyone who parks on campus, and idk about this year, but i know last year they went to every dorm building with some players and coaches and talked about the upcoming stormfest

I'm not saying they haven't done those things but those were just ideas that came to my mind.

I'm almost 3 years removed from school so I'm sure some things have changed since I've been there. I know there have been changes in the staff and they are doing a better job. Like anything and anyone though they can do better (we're all subject to that criticism in all facets). I'm not complaining about the job they have done but rather hopeful more can be done in the future. Johnny Jungle is an outlet for people to act as a voice or a pulse of St. John's. We're all here because we share a common love for St. John's.

Back to the posters....I do know that a majority of the posters are cluttered and are not eye catching as there are hundreds of loosely stapled multicolored papers in a condensed area. I know I used to be the guy that hung them up for St. John's Soccer as well as Campus Rec at one time. I think Athletics should have their own board and space so they can market properly.

I'm anxious to get to Queens today. I haven't been there since last November.

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »
Can anyone give a report of how everything went? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it.

kob24

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2009, 10:11:42 PM »
dave i told u who to speak to.

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:06 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102209aae.html

Nearly 1,200 St. John's students and Red Storm basketball fans were in attendance at the 2009 Red Storm Tip-Off on Thursday night at Taffner Field House. Those in attendance were treated to a preview of both the men's and women's basketball teams and a night of contests and activities.

The festivities opened with a 3-on-3 scrimmage between members of the men's and women's coaching staffs and a group of St. John's students that won the right to compete in the scrimmage. Head men's coach Norm Roberts, head women's coach Kim Barnes Arico and both teams were introduced to the crowd.

The men's and women's teams then competed in a combined scrimmage that featured a flurry of slam dunks and alley-oops. At halftime of the scrimmage, Roberts and Barnes Arico defeated a pair of St. John's students in a 3-point shooting contest.

Fans in attendance had the opportunity to win various prizes, including tickets to the St. John's-Villanova game at Madison Square Garden, Nets tickets, Nike prize packs and apparel, Red Storm gear and $100 American Express gift cards.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2009, 01:58:13 AM »
So the Lincoln tunnel was backed up 2 hours and I got there as soon as the scrimmage ended. Looked a little more crowded than last year but I didn't notice too many recruits since I got there so late. I saw Kadeem Jack and Myles Mack but those are the only ones I saw.

I'll post some more about tomorrow. I'm tired traffic was terrible both ways and I'm beat.

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 07:52:20 AM »
hopefully they archive the video soon

http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=stjo

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 08:02:24 AM »
this is from Zags...he mentions quite a few were supposed to be there.

RED STORM TIP-OFF CLASSIC

St. John’s will host it’s Red Storm Tip-Off tonight and will host 6-8 St. Anthony senior forward Devon Collier and 6-7 small forward Will Yeguete of Florida Air Academy on official visits. Numerous other players will also be there for unofficials, including Myles Mack and Derrick Randall of Paterson Catholic; Vaughn Gray of Don Bosco; Sterling Gibbs of Seton Hall Prep; Tyrone Johnson of Plainfield; JayVaughn Pinkston of Bishop Loughlin; Jermaine Sanders and Kadeem Jack of Rice; Davontay Grace of Thomas Jefferson; Ryan Rhoomes of Cardozo; Corey Edwards of Christ the King; and Jerrelle Reischel of Point Pleasant (N.J.) Beach….For more on several of these players, including Edwards and Jack, hit hte Video Player at right for the second part of my interview with Kimani Young of New Heights.

Tha Kid

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »
How was it?
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 11:00:13 AM »
I'm wondering how many players didn't suit up
because of injury?

Including Mase, I'm betting 4.

gonzalo