Recruiting Outlook

• 40 replies
Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
Did they even have rankings back when Mullin and Sealy played?

I believe Zendon Hamilton was considered top 10 also.

Artest Barkley and Cook were not top 10 if I recall correctly.  We have gotten 13 Mcdonald's All American since 1977.  MCD AA's really are more like top 30-50.  A fair statement would be a "Mcdonald's AA" type player every other year.   ..not a top 10 player and 2 or 3 top 30 (or McD AA types) every year

2002   Elijah Ingram - St. Anthony
2000   Omar Cook - Christ the King
1998   Erick Barkley - Maine Central
1997   Ron Artest - Lasalle Academy
1994   Zendon Hamilton   - Sewanhaka
1994   Felipe Lopez - Rice
1988   Malik Sealy   - Tolentine
1988   Robert Werdann - Archbishop Molloy
1985   Michael Porter - Pulaski County
1984   Shelton Jones - Amityville Memorial
1981   Chris Mullin   - Xaverian
1981   Bill Wennington - Long Island Lutheran
1977   Wayne McKoy - Long Island Lutheran
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
Mullin, Sealy, Lopez, Artest, Barkley and Cook.
That's all I got for top 10 at SJU.

It's about the right players and coaching.
We need to start with sleepers, and pray that we hit the lottery.
We've got 4 plays this year.

Add Wayne Mckoy and Zendon Hamilton and remove Barkley.
Barkley was a top 50 player in high school and a very good prep player at MCI but he was not a MCAA.

Barkley was a McD AA.  I admit I looked it up though ;)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
There were rankings back in '81 and I'm almost certain (stretching my memory quite a bit) Mullin wasn't top 10.

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »

Barkley was a top 50 player in high school and a very good prep player at MCI but he was not a MCAA.

You are right, i thought he was ineligible as he had gone to prep school. 

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
Chris was around #25. Believe he played in McD game.

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
Chris was around #25. Believe he played in McD game.

He was a MCAA , Which means the experts considered him top 24, but from that great class of 1981 he was highly ranked.

gonzalo

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:13:48 AM by gonzalo »

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »

You are right, i thought he was ineligible as he had gone to prep school.
Prep Stars ranked him #12, ahead of future NBA locals like Troy Murphy and Dahntay Jones. Hoop Scoop ranked him as the #1 point guard in the class.

http://www.nycnjhoops.com/cl1998.htm

"St. John's recruit Erick Barkley, of (Maine Central Institute, is averaging close to 29 points a game and he's had games where he's scored 43, 40, 37, 30 and 51 points. His coach, Max Good says he's a throwback to another era. "He's the most efficient player I've ever coached," coach Max Good said. "Unlike most point guards, Barkley doesn't over-handle it and he rarely has the ball more than a couple of dribbles. He scores so quick and so efficiently. In an era where the trend is style over substance, Barkley beats you the old-fashioned way -- with substance over style. He's a pitcher, not a thrower. He's the best player I've ever coached. Nobody influences the game like he does." MCI is 29-0 and is averaging 115 points a game with a 41-point per game average margin of victory in the killer New England prep school league. That league also features powerhouses Winchendon (Prep), Mass., Oakdale (St. Thomas More), Conn., and Milford (Academy), Conn"

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/visitors/scoop-march98.html

Wednesday, March 11, 1998 - Did you know that head coach Max Good guided Pittsfield (Maine Central Institute) ME to a perfect 35-0 record this year with a 79-68 victory over New Hampton (Prep) NH this past weekend for the New England Prep School Championship? That's kind of like going undefeated in college basketball, according to Tom Konchalski, Editor and Publisher of the H.S.B.I. Report. Just like in college basketball, that's almost unheard of, but we may be talking about the best prep school team ever. Not only is Good one of the best coaches in the nation at any level, but he might have the best player in the nation in 6'1 Erick Barkley, who was named MVP in six different tournaments this year. To show just how dominant Maine Central Institute was while playing against the tough New England prep schools night in and night out, they averaged 115 ppg and held their opponents to 74 ppg.

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 08:36:49 PM »
Secondarily, what player or amount of quality players would give you cause for optimism on the recruiting front and in the overall St. John's situation, which would indicate to you that St. John's was "back?"
no one in particular...but

"back," in terms of being a respected team in recruiting...3 recruits in the 20-50 range

"back" in terms of being back to where we were in the past, in the glory days...give me 1 recruit every year in the top 10, and another 2 or 3 every year in the top 30
That's ambitious. People knock the "gurus," but it is astounding how relatively accurate the basketball rankings are vis a vis football. If we're ever going to get back to being one of the more respected teams in the Big East and a threat nationally, it will take a good year of landing a pair of concensus top 50 players in one year and at least one top 40-60 player on an annual basis. Hopefully it won't happpen, but, if Norm or the next coach screws up the 2011 class, it will set the program back another 3-4 years.

pmg911

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »

Robert Werdan might have cracked Top 10 coming out of high school but if not, he was Top 20.

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Erick Barkley wuz straight up the best frosh I ever seen at St. John.

He showed just what it meant to have an eltie point runnin the show.

Think of all the problems in the years 'fore Erick and why that wuz the case.

Then think of what he did and how the team play from Day One.

Evrybdy call that Artest's team. Ron Ron wuz a monster, no doubt, but it wuz Erick that made them win.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:17:47 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 12:01:31 PM »
Erick's my 2nd favorite all-time Johnny... behind only George Johnson.

..and I guess it's admirable that some folks don't let facts get in the way of their opinions,
but, once again, we've had maybe 7 or 8 top 10 players in our HISTORY (neither Mullin nor Werdann were). And maybe one or two classes that combined a top ten with 2 in the top 30, although I'm not sure we ever did.

Please, we all want to see it. It's a great goal. But when you say that that's where we were in the 'glory days'.. it's just utterly ridiculous. Because it's not true.

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 12:37:30 PM »
Erick's my 2nd favorite all-time Johnny... behind only George Johnson.

..and I guess it's admirable that some folks don't let facts get in the way of their opinions,
but, once again, we've had maybe 7 or 8 top 10 players in our HISTORY (neither Mullin nor Werdann were). And maybe one or two classes that combined a top ten with 2 in the top 30, although I'm not sure we ever did.

Please, we all want to see it. It's a great goal. But when you say that that's where we were in the 'glory days'.. it's just utterly ridiculous. Because it's not true.

just because we've had substandard teams in the past with the exception of a very few, doesn't mean we could never be good again.  it's about investing in an elite coach.

people who are excited about this team don't get out much except to become inebriated.

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
St. John can return.

The question is: Will it?

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »

Evrybdy call that Artest's team. Ron Ron wuz a monster, no doubt, but it wuz Erick that made them win.

When I first read this I thought you were crazy! Then I thought about it and after Mullin, Barkley would be the most impressive SJU Freshman I have seen.
Not sure how old you are, but can't see you putting EB over Mullin.

boo3

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
Barkley was not your typical freshman either.  i think he was 21 or 22 years old that year.

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »

When I first read this I thought you were crazy! Then I thought about it and after Mullin, Barkley would be the most impressive SJU Freshman I have seen.

Chris Mullin came into a program that wuz steady and had known winnin.

Erick Barkley came into a program that was just gettin' itself up on its legs after years of downtime. His immediate impact was the most I seen of any playa and that include Mullin.

Just think of how all them teams five years 'fore Erick play 'cause they didn't have theyselves an elite point.

Then think of what Erick done from the minute he step on the court. Nuthin flashy. Nuthin fo SportsCenter. He just played like he was a college senior. And the team win time and again.

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »

Chris Mullin came into a program that wuz steady and had known winnin.

Erick Barkley came into a program that was just gettin' itself up on its legs after years of downtime. His immediate impact was the most I seen of any playa and that include Mullin.

Just think of how all them teams five years 'fore Erick play 'cause they didn't have theyselves an elite point.

Then think of what Erick done from the minute he step on the court. Nuthin flashy. Nuthin fo SportsCenter. He just played like he was a college senior. And the team win time and again.

That whole team just meshed together very well and was probably my favorute SJU team ever. I understand what you are saying and if Barkley was on Fran's last team they might have gone to the Elite 8 as point guard was their biggest weakness.
Still have to give it to Mullin as he was the reason I started folllowing the program as a little kid.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:27:04 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
Yo I straight up luv Chris Mullin 24/7/365.

But I aint ever seen a playa wear a St. John uni that was better than The Truth.

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »
Yo I straight up luv Chris Mullin 24/7/365.

But I aint ever seen a playa wear a St. John uni that was better than The Truth.

Mullin had better career, Berry was my favorite basketball player ever though!