Recruiting Outlook

• 40 replies
Recruiting Outlook
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
Granted the expectations have dropped severely this decade, the scholarship situation is theoretically tight in one year and extremely loose in the other year, and the staff is in the proverbial running for some borderline local top 100 talent, but is anyone surprised or, perhaps, disappointed that STJ haven't landed any 2010 or 2011 recruits yet?

Secondarily, what player or amount of quality players would give you cause for optimism on the recruiting front and in the overall St. John's situation, which would indicate to you that St. John's was "back?"

This is a current account of just the 2010 verbals of our BE brethren.
Louisville-Josh Langford
UConn-Jeremy Lamb
USF
Syracuse-C.J. Fair, Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Keita
Seton Hall-Fuquan Edwin
Rutgers
UC-Justin Jackson
WVU-Noah Coatrill
Villanova-James Bell, Markus Kennedy
DePaul-Moses Morgan, Brandon Young, Pitchford
ND-Eric Atkins, Jerrian Grant, Alex Dragicevich
Pitt-Isaiah Epps, Cameron Wright
Providence-Gerard Coleman, Young, Giplaye
Georgetown-Nate Lubick and Markel Starks
Marquette-Jamail Jones and Aaron Bowen

Re: Recruiting Outlook
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
I'm hoping for a couple verbals this week, never mind that there's only one scholarship to give. 

But seriously some of these schools have no problem getting kids to give verbals early, some of these kids will give verbals to any BE school that'll take them.  It seems that Norm and staff, given that they can be patient with just one ride are aiming high at kids who can be choosy and what choosy kid would pick STJ at this time.  That's why I think either they're going to have to take another 3 or borderline 4 star kid in November or wait til spring and hope they play well enough to attract some higher rated interest provided some of their elite targets haven't committed somewhere else by then.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 05:34:52 PM »
While Pinkston appears to have been our #1 target for a long time (and I believe that we are still seriously in the mix for him), I think Collier would best fit the void left when Mase leaves.  I also have a hunch that JJ Moore might be seriously considering staying close to home.  I don't think we have much of a shot at Doron Lamb, although he still lists us.

I would love to see us get a couple of early verbals for 2011.  That class is gonna be so big and hard to fill with quality players.  If we got one or two quality guys to verbal, it might attract other quality players to consider us.  There are several really good PGs in that class.  We definitely need to get one. 

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »
I'm hoping for a couple verbals this week, never mind that there's only one scholarship to give. 

But seriously some of these schools have no problem getting kids to give verbals early, some of these kids will give verbals to any BE school that'll take them.  It seems that Norm and staff, given that they can be patient with just one ride are aiming high at kids who can be choosy and what choosy kid would pick STJ at this time.  That's why I think either they're going to have to take another 3 or borderline 4 star kid in November or wait til spring and hope they play well enough to attract some higher rated interest provided some of their elite targets haven't committed somewhere else by then.
If they "whiff" on the usual suspects, I wonder if they do opt for, as you said, a "three star" kid like Derrick Williams, Melsahn Basabe, or Roland Roberts or do they opt to dive once again into the JuCo pool. The only four-star or better players that I believe they're even relatively in on are Moore, Pinkston, and Collier. As I recall, I don't think any of the services have Pankey as a four star/top 100 player.

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't get anyone to verbal publicly from the 2011 class, where, as you know, much help is needed.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
I would love to see us get a couple of early verbals for 2011.  That class is gonna be so big and hard to fill with quality players.  If we got one or two quality guys to verbal, it might attract other quality players to consider us.  There are several really good PGs in that class.  We definitely need to get one.
I agree and think the 2011 momentum issue could be critcal. I really think that the 2011 class and winning this season are the two keys to survival for Roberts and staff.

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:17:19 PM »
I'm hoping that we can get some verbals from some kids at Stormfest this year and again for those who don't know its open to the public this year.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:17:41 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

mkras99

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »
Would think that kids will wait to see how things shake out this year before even considering verballing here.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:52:10 PM »
You'd think but as pointed out on rm.com by txsstj espn.com's college basketball rumor central is saying Pinkston is ready to declare for St Johns.  Haven't read their rumor reports much even though I have insider so take it FWIW.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?date=20091007

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »
You'd think but as pointed out on rm.com by txsstj espn.com's college basketball rumor central is saying Pinkston is ready to declare for St Johns.  Haven't read their rumor reports much even though I have insider so take it FWIW.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?date=20091007

I received this in a text message the other day from a source, "There is no reason why he shouldn't commit to St. John's"

Now that doesn't mean he is or he isn't but now with what ESPN is saying it's definitely more encouraging.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
WOW that is the 1st time I have seen the ESPN statement.

That would be really great news.

sjd8886

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:32 PM »

Secondarily, what player or amount of quality players would give you cause for optimism on the recruiting front and in the overall St. John's situation, which would indicate to you that St. John's was "back?"

no one in particular...but

"back," in terms of being a respected team in recruiting...3 recruits in the 20-50 range

"back" in terms of being back to where we were in the past, in the glory days...give me 1 recruit every year in the top 10, and another 2 or 3 every year in the top 30

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
SJD, I hate to tell you, but we were never there.  I don't think Louie ever had a recruiting class like you describe in what, 30 years? Fran may have had one, and Mahoney.... maybe.

This idea that we were ever Kentucky or UCLA or N.C. is just silly. We were never a perennial top 10 team. You want it to happen? That's cool, so do I.  But don't act like we've been there for more than a brief instant or two. 'Cause that's all it's been.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
Of the 25 players listed in 1st post:

Only 2 top 25: Melo & Waiters (Syracuse)
8 more  were top 100.
Cust, Pitt & Georgetown have 6 of those 10 kids

More than 1/2 of the Big east teams do not have a top 100 kid yet.

Molloy '71

sjd8886

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »
SJD, I hate to tell you, but we were never there.  I don't think Louie ever had a recruiting class like you describe in what, 30 years? Fran may have had one, and Mahoney.... maybe.

This idea that we were ever Kentucky or UCLA or N.C. is just silly. We were never a perennial top 10 team. You want it to happen? That's cool, so do I.  But don't act like we've been there for more than a brief instant or two. 'Cause that's all it's been.

congratulations, you have achieved something even baldi hasn't...i disagree with literally everything you said

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »

congratulations, you have achieved something even baldi hasn't...i disagree with literally everything you said

what was wrong with what he posted?  He's right. We had one final four team that included the talent you're speaking of.  And that was 25 years ago.

1 top 10 recruit every year?  I wonder if Duke or Uconn gets 1 top 10 every year?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 11:32:05 PM »
I actually agreed with jacstorm too. Sorry SJD but what do you totally disagree with?

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 07:36:57 AM »
I agree with what Jacstorm posted. TOP 10 no. TOP 30 yes

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 10:14:29 AM »
I agree with what Jacstorm posted. TOP 10 no. TOP 30 yes

Exactly red23
I actually gave Jacstorm an "exalt" for the post.
Honest assessment without bashing.

Hey, were still in the running for 4 very solid local top 80 kids.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:20:11 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
Mullin, Sealy, Lopez, Artest, Barkley and Cook.
That's all I got for top 10 at SJU.

It's about the right players and coaching.
We need to start with sleepers, and pray that we hit the lottery.
We've got 4 plays this year.

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
Mullin, Sealy, Lopez, Artest, Barkley and Cook.
That's all I got for top 10 at SJU.

It's about the right players and coaching.
We need to start with sleepers, and pray that we hit the lottery.
We've got 4 plays this year.

Add Wayne Mckoy and Zendon Hamilton and remove Barkley.
Barkley was a top 50 player in high school and a very good prep player at MCI but he was not a MCAA.